Traktor Scratch / vinyl mode issue

Tools
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
Traktor Scratch / vinyl mode issue
So i've ben using traktor with CDJs & controllers for about 18 mths now with little to no issues

last weekend i decided to try and give the vinyl mode a try, i dont have turnnies at home anymore so couldnt test out at home so thought id put myself on the spot and try at my gig...

got everything hooked up and got a signal working.....but every track ended up playing at 20% higher bpm than showing on traktor

anyone got any ideas of what i did wrong?
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
<
Sounds like you were using mk1 vinyl on traktor 2.0 or vice versa. That what made this happen to me. Although that might have been mk2 vinyl on traktor 1.0
meh..
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowy View Post

Sounds like you were using mk1 vinyl on traktor 2.0 or vice versa. That what made this happen to me. Although that might have been mk2 vinyl on traktor 1.0

ah ha.....sounds like could be right
Playing at;

SHRUG
sd88me +

Times thanked
<
also check the rpm setting in traktor matches the control vinyl and turntable speed.
in timecode settings menu, you can set it to be 33 or 45 rpm.
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
ill try that too sam...

have to find some 1200's this weekend

on 2nd thoughts i think would be mk2 vinyl as came with the audio 6 package which was fairly new
Playing at;

SHRUG
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
i am not sure that using mk2 vinyl on pre Traktor scratch pro 2.5x release would cause that behaviour of an increase of 20% rather it would just not work at all. i will check out on my setup at home and confirm. I would say though more likely is the pitch range you have set in tempo range within the software itself. from memory mines set to +6 range.
oliosky +

Steel City Resident

Times thanked
<
Did you calibrate timecode the signal too? Also which version of Tp2? I had a similar issue with the 2.5.?? version and it went away with an update.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
using 2.0.2....so a pretty old version, im going to try updating tomorrow after my gig tonight (dont want to risk an update pre-gig)
Playing at;

SHRUG
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
mate my advice is to not update your version of traktor. 2.02 and 2.03 were rock solid. I use 2.03 as its flawless with no issues. On other laptops of mine I have the 2.5 nd 2.6x versions. they are very buggy, cause high cpu load and random crashes. just not worth it at all. stick with what you have as unless you use sample decks etc (which I don't) then there is no advantage of the upgrade. I made the mistake a while back upgrading from 2.03 to 2.6 before a gig and it crashed half way through. rolled back to 2.03 and never had an issue. wont be upgrading . Also I prefer timecode on 2.02/2.03 as even though can only use mk1 timecode you can run the latency lower then mkII which means more realistic snappy vinyl style play. with 2.5x versions and above because they have a higher cpu load the latency has to be set higher... anyway best of luck and I will update soon on my result of mk2 vinyl on 2.03 version. been using the cdjs all weekend with their possible imminent departure (once sold) from my arsenal!
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
test> mk2 vinyl on traktor 2.03 (mk1 only) = calibration failed unknown medium. interestingly the track still played but at 75% faster (110bpm played at 185bpm) and placed it into relative mode. my tempo range is set to 6%.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by travellingpom View Post

test> mk2 vinyl on traktor 2.03 (mk1 only) = calibration failed unknown medium. interestingly the track still played but at 75% faster (110bpm played at 185bpm) and placed it into relative mode. my tempo range is set to 6%.

so relative mode fixed the higher bpm on yours?
Playing at;

SHRUG
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
no not at all. i was just noting the behavior of playing MKII vinyl on older versions of traktor which only support MK1. bottom line is it dosnt work on versions less than 2.5x. Its a catch 22 though as if you have mk2 vinyl you need to upgrade TRAKTOR to 2.5x and above but then you have an unstable buggy version. My advice is to stay on 2,02 or even upgrade to 2,03 ( i have run this for ages and bullet proof) and buy some MK1 vinyl though its a bit hard to find these days. Otherwise if you do upgrade make sure you leave 2.03 on the machine as well and then access by clicking on the exe in the backups folder. that way you can switch between the two. You also might have more luck with 2.6.1 then i did but proceed with caution if at a gig and have a cd ready which i am sure you already do anyway.
oliosky +

Steel City Resident

Times thanked
<
Keep in mind 2.6.1 is significantly better, in my experience, than the 2.5 release. I still use 2.1.3 version with the mk2 vinyl on an old laptop of mine and it works well.
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
used 2.6 with cdjs on the weekend and seemed okay

wasnt able to try it on vinyl mode before i left.....hopefully i can find a berliner whos decks i can try it on before my gig

(brag post...kinda)
Playing at;

SHRUG
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
just a thought mate. i had a play last night (TSP 2.6.1 with mkII vinyl) and noticed by accident that if i changed my audio 8 from the standard 44000hz sample rate to 48000hz it had an odd affect on the timecode (i have it set to 45rpm in the settings and had to move to 33rpm). i am not saying this could be the culprit but check if you sample rate is non standard as this may have an impact.
Master Mischief +

Times thanked
<
It sucks that NI changed the time code for Traktor Pro II. It used to be a free DL from the NI website. I've been with Traktor for over seven... When I first brought it... It was a nightmare.... So much so ended up putting back in the box for a year until I contacted the Australian NI rep in Melbourne. He solved the problem for me though some backwards and forwards emails... Where NI in their great wisdom had released the patches into a completely new folder... I'm who seriously reads the read me docs these days...duh. I got it running fairly sweet... But it still had a few bugs especially when plugging in vinyl turntables... Something that really stayed with Traktor, and something that carried through to till this day...

Traktor is a product of NIs Reaktor... A buggy DAW for those who have used it.

The truth is NI don't have a great rep in regards to getting back to people for support issues. But if you contact the native rep with your computer specs and the issue you have, he'll get back within 24hrs usually...

MkI discs and Vinyl won't work properly on the current version and will just make want to pull your hair out, through the disruption and issues it causes. Most problems occur on full hard drives and busy desktops... As the unit has to work harder. Also firewalls and wireless connections can cause a few issues to. If you've got

Latency is usually the next culprit, and can cause things to freeze, speed up and slow down. NI suggest raising the latency then lowing it until it stops glitching and farting at you, in my experience, giving it just much more improves its performance. And kinder gives you a piece of mind when your playing to a live audience. The other culprit be a faulty input cord on the audio 8. Or the audio 8 itself... You could go out and splash out on a an audio 10... Or do what I did and buy a Nexus...

You'll know when NI get it right, when the dorks release a later version requiring an upgrade. And they lure you with some other feature and tell if you don't... Your peepee will fall off while in the mix...

Anyway, it's a real nightmare to get going... But once it works... It really works... Update everything... Including audio 8/10 D/Ls...

If problems persist, contact your local Store Dj/Dj warehouse for the NI reps email... The hit him up for a solution...
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
did the update, worked without a glitch

its pretty lucky too as theres a lot of clubs here that dont even have CDJ's......total opposite to back home eh
Playing at;

SHRUG

« Previous Thread Next Thread »