The DJ Booth

What equipment are pro DJs using these days?

Tools
inthebush +

Times thanked
<
What equipment are pro DJs using these days?
Been outta the loop for a while. Last time I stepped into a club to DJ, they had 2 x Pioneer CDJs (the older, original type) plus a Pioneer mixer. Last major club I worked at about 3-4 years ago had the latest Pioneer CD players with the USB port. Trouble was not all clubs had this technology, so i had to end up having to carry CDs anyway.

It's been about 3-4 years since I've been out of it and I'm wondering what MOST clubs and / or pubs have in the way of equipment these days?

I was recently informed by a bedroom DJ that most people use mobile phones or laptops with Traktor etc.

I tried using Traktor around 4 years ago, however the interface and plugging into the inhouse mixer was a hassle and I questioned the reliability of the control records and CDs (and the calibration of the CDs). I also noticed the sound quality was better going straight from vinyl or CD, so dumped Traktor and went back to CD. I guess I realised that difference between doing it at home and in front of a crowd was that reliability of equipment and sound quality was important.

Just wondering:

1. How technology has advanced in relation to the first release of Traktor and whether it is more reliable?

2. Do pro working DJs really walk in with their mobile phone, lap top etc and go straight off that?

3. What sort of equipment do clubs generally have these days?

4. Do you think the majority of working, club DJs still use CDs?

5. It's been a while since I've seen an international, but to your knowledge what are they using these days?

Thanks very much for your responses in advance . Just curious and seeking an update.
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthebush View Post

I was recently informed by a bedroom DJ that most people use mobile phones or laptops with Traktor etc.

and that is why he still is a bedroom deejay
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
1. How technology has advanced in relation to the first release of Traktor and whether it is more reliable?
Traktor and Serato are reliable as fuck, so long as you have a clean powerful laptop running them, pays to disble wifi, bluetooth, other drivers which you don't need while just playing music, anything which hogs some rescource

2. Do pro working DJs really walk in with their mobile phone, lap top etc and go straight off that?
Laptops yes, phones, hell fucking no...never seen anyone do that, most play of Ableton on a laptop or just use an SD card with Pioneed CDJ 2000's linked together.

3. What sort of equipment do clubs generally have these days?
Pioneed CDJ 2000's, but lots of smaller places still have 1000's

4. Do you think the majority of working, club DJs still use CDs?
No, not never, but fuck all...burning CDs is a fucking tiresome chore when you can just copy everything to your SD card and whack that into the CDJ

5. It's been a while since I've seen an international, but to your knowledge what are they using these days?
Ableton or SD cards through the CDJs...Serato/Traktor and using the wheels of steel to a lesser extent
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
It's all about the wax these days.
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bumpy View Post

It's all about the wax these days.

Man I wish this was the case For the first time in years I played a show 100% off records on Saturday, fuck it felt good after primarily being a serato dj for the last 2 years.

It would be a great experiment to replace CDJ's with turntables from every venue for a single weekend and see how many dj's could still play their bookings.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
5% if you're lucky!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Haha when I Dj'd in clubs I had so many other Djs ask me "but how do you dj/mix on cdj100s, there's no bpm counter"

Fuck up ****s.
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
I play fairly big clubs, I stick to SD cards. They have the fastest read/write times.... and everything is saved.

I still have one 1200mk5 at home for listening purposes, and use traktor with the CDJ900s/2000s (all you need is 2 USB cables as the CDJs are SCs) if im expected to play a wide range of music at smaller venues...

But no, I havent seen someone use a phone. I might be wrong, but I really dont trust it yet. And it looks tacky.
Tech-One
anditz +

Times thanked
<
I have seen HAIM (not "pro dj's" by any means) use their phones and a laptop with iTunes. It was pitiful watching, knowing what they got paid to rock up.
wheelo007 +

Registered Offhander

Times thanked
<
I once met a dude who said he was a dj. Turns out he was plugging two laptops or a laptop and his phone into a mixer and going onto youtube on both and just fading from one to the other, irrespective of tempo, genre, just fading.
He said he got paid $40 an hour to do it in a bar on Friday nights.

Anyway, more to the point, how, as someone who used to dj and work in a club, are you so completely unaware of current technology and practices? You a luddite bro?
https://soundcloud.com/presidentbird
Radic +

Times thanked
<
inthebush - Youtube can give you the answer you are looking for as well. Youtube videos from party's, nightclubs and check out the set ups. CDJ controllers and DJM mixer is still the most common setup.
Soundcloud
anditz +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by wheelo007 View Post

Anyway, more to the point, how, as someone who used to dj and work in a club, are you so completely unaware of current technology and practices? You a luddite bro?

lol
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
It's an interesting loophole, like you're not stealing the music, the Ads on YouTube pay for the music, the venue still pays APRA for playing music...it's better than a DJ playing all stolen tracks, no?

m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts
Dunno, wouldn't you only be able to use youtube for personal use? Not for broadcast in public, similar to commercial TV.

Quote:

4. General Use of the Service—Permissions and Restrictions
YouTube hereby grants you permission to access and use the Service as set forth in these Terms of Service, provided that:

You agree not to distribute in any medium any part of the Service or the Content without YouTube's prior written authorization, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the Embeddable Player).

Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Playing to an audience isn't "distribution" though is it?

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Playing to an audience isn't "distribution" though is it?

yep it is viewed that way by apra & ppca
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Cool...so even though he's not stealing the music, he's still breaking the law...while playing awful sound quality to boot, which is the bigger sin amirite?

pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
if ppca found out they'd prob try to charge double ****'s
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG

« Previous Thread Next Thread »