The Main Room

Poll: Your thoughts on Boat People

View Poll Results: Do you care about Boat People.
Yes, it's an issue. I prefer Labor Party. 7 14.29%
No, couldn't care less. I prefer Labor Party. 7 14.29%
Yes, it's an issue. I prefer Coalition. 4 8.16%
No, couldn't care less. I prefer Coalition. 1 2.04%
"boat people" are a non-issue overblown by xenophobic bullshit 30 61.22%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
  Tools
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Lambretta's Avatar
Joined
Oct '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 778
Thanked 1,018 Times in 665 Posts
Posts
23,121

Quote:

Originally Posted by crabman View Post

This one? Fits with my perceptions.

http://www.immi.gov.au/media/publica...ooklet2011.pdf

I meant the Hugo report as opposed to the SMH article
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

crabman's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 15,417
Thanked 8,299 Times in 3,650 Posts
Posts
14,137


The quote from the former Member for Warringah is a pretty stark contrast, particularly from the same team.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.

Last edited by crabman: 22-Jul-13 at 10:43pm

claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

I did suggest we could extend the limit, and you're still dancing around the questions like a politician. You side stepped similar one's from Geezah the other day.

if you had your way, what would be the upper limit that you would set, and what would you do if an exponential amount more than that arrived per year overwhelming the facilities?

I don't even know what the questions are that I'm supposed to be not answering. Nor do I feel any obligation to answer every question people post in forums so I'm not consciously sidestepping anything. This not Parliament and I'm not the answerer of all questions.

It seems to me neither side of politics is carrying proper policy analysis into this. Rudd's strategy is quite clearly to extinguish Coalition hysteria. I go back to my earlier point. This issue was politicised by the Coalition and it has remained a hot political issue ever since. The coalition now has an established practice of turning what should be bipartisan policy matters into divisive political ones, so our news is filled with debate over side issues, and some so perversely erroneous it is nothing short of appalling.

If I had my way, I would look to the past, recognise that immigration has overwhelmingly enriched the economic and cultural fabric of this country. My first approach would to be stop treating refugees as a problem and look at it as the potential opportunity history tells us it is. Then I would seek a rigorous policy analysis conextualised by opportunity within the context of macroeconomic sustainable growth which would set out an economic framework for realising that opportunity.

The other context that policy development should consider is that it is a regional issue and needs to be addressed regionally. Actually, it's a global issue. Refugee numbers are never going to diminish. As the global environment continues to degrade and population continues to grow there are going to massive numbers of environmental refugees, resource constrained refugees and political and conflict refugees. This is a prediction extensively documented in all international agency research.

I don't think the solution is simple. It certainly isn't as simple as trying to brick wall our country. That can't work. That's just another of Abbott's win-one-term policies.
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880
i wanted to vote in the poll in this thread. must say i was terribly annoyed that there was no option which did not have a political party attached (except for the last)

boat people are an issue and i do not care for politics.

boat people need help but does australia address any of the issues that the boat people are escaping from? hell, does any country address and deal with any of the issues?

thank you and good night.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

jdoodle's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,206
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
Posts
17,808
what issues? confusing post is confusing
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880
what makes boat people become boat people?
not just because they decide to jump on an overcrowded boat and sink in the ocean
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

jdoodle's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,206
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
Posts
17,808
because of the fear of death and persection in their own country
because they want to bring their children up in a country where that stuff doesnt happen
they get on boats because they dont have any other option
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880
exactly. so tell me WHICH country is addressing the issues you have clearly stated? which government?
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
EeeeeeeJ +

Registered User

Joined
May '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 1
Thanked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Posts
330

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

remember the Expert Panel on Asylum Seekers or three-wise men as they were coined by the media? They tried to find a third way that was tough but not punitive and they called it the “no advantage rule”. Sounded reasonable at the time, but it wasn’t enough to discourage people from getting on boats.

The only reason why their findings failed was that the required legislation couldn't get through Parliament. That doesn't mean that the ideas in the legislation necessarily couldn't work or was unreasonable.

Some in the Parliament refused to accept any legislation. Some refused to accept any legislation that didn't revert to measures taken by the Howard Government.

I also don't follow PhoneyHuh's (or the blogger whom he's quoting) argument that well-dressed applicants for asylum are less likely to be legitimate. He's saying that rich people are more likely to want to get to Australia to make more money than poor people.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously

I bet big on us hearing that the facilities at Manis Island are shitty, underfunded, poor supplied and will be a terrible place to live shortly

You certainly will hear that. Of course, it doesn't make sense for refugees, rather than those applying for refugee status, to be staying camps for Australian boat people.

Last edited by EeeeeeeJ: 23-Jul-13 at 08:52am

jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

jdoodle's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,206
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
Posts
17,808
WHICH?
how about you tell me HOW WHICH country addresses those issues? Diplomacy? Invasion?
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880
this thread calls for thoughts on boat people.
i gave my thoughts.

governments and citizens shouldn't complain about boat people taking our money and resources if they aren't willing to do anything about it.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

jdoodle's Avatar
Joined
Nov '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,206
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
Posts
17,808
perhaps you should spend more time thinkg about the issue.......
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

I don't think the solution is simple. It certainly isn't as simple as trying to brick wall our country. That can't work. That's just another of Abbott's win-one-term policies.

Actually, this is probably one of those few instances where public policy is fairly simple, because the solution is based on perception. The perception in the wider region under Howard was that people unlawfully arriving by boat and claiming asylum would be harshly treated with little prospect of success for their claims, and arrival numbers subsequently plummeted. Whilst this wasn’t really the reality, he deftly used the media and showed force (ie Tampa) to his advantage and the issue was essentially fixed…for a time. Within months of Rudd winning the 2007 election he announced with much fanfare a new “humanitarian” approach to migration policy, and whilst not a lot actually changed policy wise, the perception utterly changed and Australia was seen as returning to an open door policy stance again.

Make the policy punitive and simple, advertise that the policy is punitive in the major source countries and publically show it is punitive when tested.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

rancho's Avatar
Joined
May '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,776
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
Posts
22,185

Quote:

Originally Posted by DANCINGDI View Post

See this is what I mean , you have brought it down to one link and chosen to argue that one. It's become a personal issue. And that is why I stopped posting in this forum years ago. It always ended up like this. I shouldn't have come back. There have been many links put up but no one seems to want to learn anything.

you won't be missed, you haven't contributed anything to the discussion other than complaining about your assumption that no one has read anything because they don't necessarily agree with you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Dubz +

guardian of ITM

Dubz's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 36
Thanked 573 Times in 356 Posts
Posts
7,731
http://www.smh.com.au/comment/stop-t...722-2qeqj.html
gravyishot +

this stupid facebook bar at the bottom is for ****s

gravyishot's Avatar
Joined
Mar '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 364
Thanked 934 Times in 525 Posts
Posts
3

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post


Secondly, when it comes to Afghanistan, one of the poorest and most corrupt nations on earth, and where heroin production is the largest economic earner, it raises serious questions on how migrants from there came to amass their wealth in the first place. Questions that I don't think will ever be answered in a processing center. Ditto with other wealthy arrivals.

Meh, poppies are just another crop. In a war torn nation, you gotta do what you gotta do.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Weinertron's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,455
Thanked 970 Times in 437 Posts
Posts
3,701
^how else are we meant to remember the diggers?
Fuck Everything Forever
CheelWinston +

not a cop

CheelWinston's Avatar
Joined
May '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 912
Thanked 2,128 Times in 1,172 Posts
Posts
13,908
Here's what we should do

Immediately take in 42 million refugees

The tent industry would go crazy

After that, housing construction would pick up and we all know how sluggish that's been

The rest of the world would fucking love us for solving everyone's problems and shower us with riches

The coalition's northern food troll bowl policy is aiming to feed 3 billion people so we'd have change feeding 42m

The cattle export industry has been destroyed by the labors mismanagement and as far as I know afghans and Persians eat beef


Most importantly the boats would stop?
Listen to your friend Cheely Zane
He is a cool guy...
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Actually, this is probably one of those few instances where public policy is fairly simple, because the solution is based on perception. The perception in the wider region under Howard was that people unlawfully arriving by boat and claiming asylum would be harshly treated with little prospect of success for their claims, and arrival numbers subsequently plummeted. Whilst this wasn’t really the reality, he deftly used the media and showed force (ie Tampa) to his advantage and the issue was essentially fixed…for a time. Within months of Rudd winning the 2007 election he announced with much fanfare a new “humanitarian” approach to migration policy, and whilst not a lot actually changed policy wise, the perception utterly changed and Australia was seen as returning to an open door policy stance again.

Make the policy punitive and simple, advertise that the policy is punitive in the major source countries and publically show it is punitive when tested.

Not really so. When Howard politicised this in 2001 refugee influx was already dropping substantially, locally and globally (OECD countries). Refugee influx into Australia started increasing under Howard since 2004, and not increasing linearly but with an upwards curve. You have fallen for a misrepresentation of the statistics like many other people. Statistically there is no significant correlation between policy and numbers, especially when you take account of the whole curve. The rapid increase in the last few years correlates with a rapid increase in all OECD countries. Last year saw the largest global increase in refugees since 1999.

While we have seen a 30% increase in those seeking asylum, we still recieve a relatively small fraction of total refugees (about 3%) and we do not figure in the top ten recieving countries. There is nothing in the statisitics that shows we experience a disproportionate intake. Not in relation to absolute numbers, per capita, or per GDP. There is no issue peculiar to Australia compared with other OECD countries. We have less of an issue than many other countries by orders of magnitude, and there is no valid correlation between policy and influx.

Last edited by claude glass: 23-Jul-13 at 11:38am

Reason: Optional

smorchika +

Registered User

smorchika's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,349
Thanked 510 Times in 349 Posts
Posts
5,229
cooperation is key...
https://theconversation.com/what-wou...ook-like-16256

Quote:

To utilise the words of Australian prime minister Kevin Rudd, “fair shake of the sauce bottle” please. The PNG arrangement may involve a country in our region, but it is not a sincere, workable regional framework on asylum. It has been agreed to in a terrible rush. It involves transferring vulnerable asylum seekers to a poor nation when there are no common regional standards in place to ensure those people – human beings with rights – are protected.

phoneyhuh +

3o~

phoneyhuh's Avatar
Joined
Jul '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 16
Thanked 208 Times in 131 Posts
Posts
8,070

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

While we have seen a 30% increase in those seeking asylum, we still recieve a relatively small fraction of total refugees (about 3%) and we do not figure in the top ten recieving countries. There is nothing in the statisitics that shows we experience a disproportionate intake. Not in relation to absolute numbers, per capita, or per GDP. There is no issue peculiar to Australia compared with other OECD countries. We have less of an issue than many other countries by orders of magnitude, and there is no valid correlation between policy and influx.

According to this site, Australia is ranked number 3 for resettlement. 'receiving countries' means nothing as they're just the neighbouring countries to warzones or famines etc that folks are pouring in from.

For example Jordan has 2 million Palestinian refugee's who have been living there for 40 years. The government there refuses to issue them citizenship just to spite Israel, being the lovely compassionate people they are.

Last edited by phoneyhuh: 23-Jul-13 at 01:19pm

Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

this thread calls for thoughts on boat people.
i gave my thoughts.

governments and citizens shouldn't complain about boat people taking our money and resources if they aren't willing to do anything about it.

What should we do about:

- Iran
- Iraq
- Sri Lanka
- Somalia
- Sudan
- Afghanistan
- Syria
- Egypt (potentially)?

I honestly don't know. The issues are so complex and varied and in a lot of cases intractable and impervious to external pressures to resolve things. Most options don't have a pretty short- to mid-term outcome whichever option is chosen. A lot of possible solutions are even more unpalatable to Australians than asylum seekers arriving by boat.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880
what i was mostly trying to point out is that these issues will never be solved.
the governments are greedy and corrupt therefore these problems will continue.

Is it so bad that that they seek asylum here or anywhere? why shouldn't they deserve to live in peace. they clearly can't afford to remove themselves from their country of birth.

why can't the countries with wealth pitch in and develop a program to rehabilitate the boat people? house them, teach them, and allow them to work.

for fucks sake, why does it have to be so hard? why do people not want immigrants of different ethnicity to reside in other "white" parts of the world? we are all humans. we are all people. black, white, beige.. whatever. just friggin help people.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
liberabit +

One of these days you'll wake up dead

liberabit's Avatar
Joined
Jan '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,415
Thanked 3,099 Times in 1,923 Posts
Posts
4,294,967,295
i think most bogans people are just worried about guys like this trying to slip into our country by posing as boat people

This is no love song and it serves no use, but if you want to sing along to some verbal abuse
It might make you feel better and it's good for the soul, take four letters and let's rock n roll
Chach +

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Chach's Avatar
Joined
Nov '06
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 146
Thanked 171 Times in 70 Posts
Posts
7,212
Thats the beauty of this policy, it doesn't affect white christians, they can keep coming on planes with visas
What we were they are now, what we are now they will be

Coming up for The Likes of You

Derrick May April
Ben Sims
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Not really so. When Howard politicised this in 2001 refugee influx was already dropping substantially, locally and globally (OECD countries). Refugee influx into Australia started increasing under Howard since 2004, and not increasing linearly but with an upwards curve. You have fallen for a misrepresentation of the statistics like many other people. Statistically there is no significant correlation between policy and numbers, especially when you take account of the whole curve. The rapid increase in the last few years correlates with a rapid increase in all OECD countries. Last year saw the largest global increase in refugees since 1999.

While we have seen a 30% increase in those seeking asylum, we still recieve a relatively small fraction of total refugees (about 3%) and we do not figure in the top ten recieving countries. There is nothing in the statisitics that shows we experience a disproportionate intake. Not in relation to absolute numbers, per capita, or per GDP. There is no issue peculiar to Australia compared with other OECD countries. We have less of an issue than many other countries by orders of magnitude, and there is no valid correlation between policy and influx.

Jebus Dub Delay… err I mean Claude, I think we have done this dance before: http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...ighlight=boats ...i even told you to suck my balls lol....sorry bout that.

btw, we are talking about illegal boat arrivals.
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron

Last edited by trist: 23-Jul-13 at 02:16pm

Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

what i was mostly trying to point out is that these issues will never be solved.
the governments are greedy and corrupt therefore these problems will continue.

Is it so bad that that they seek asylum here or anywhere? why shouldn't they deserve to live in peace. they clearly can't afford to remove themselves from their country of birth.

why can't the countries with wealth pitch in and develop a program to rehabilitate the boat people? house them, teach them, and allow them to work.

for fucks sake, why does it have to be so hard? why do people not want immigrants of different ethnicity to reside in other "white" parts of the world? we are all humans. we are all people. black, white, beige.. whatever. just friggin help people.

It doesn't have to be hard, it just is. I'd be all for increasing our refugee intake to 100k, even 200k (maybe even more), per year but I have nfi how much that would cost. I'd imagine it wouldn't be cheap though. And I just don't know if we increased our refugee intake into the hundreds of thousands, besides the financial cost, if it would be doable in a socially cohesive way. That's not a slight on those who would come, nor against Australians in general, but increasing the intake by such a large amount might have unintended consequences further down the track.

It's, to borrow a phrase, a wicked problem.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880
but why does there have to be a dollar figure attached to everything?
a price tag attached to freedom.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Jebus Dub Delay… err I mean Claude, I think we have done this dance before: http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...ighlight=boats

btw, we are talking about illegal boat arrivals.

But they aren't illegal due the fact that they are seeking asylum. This isn't illegal. Is it? I could be wrong about that.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

but why does there have to be a dollar figure attached to everything?
a price tag attached to freedom.

Because if it costs billions of dollars, and that money comes out of the budget in a structural way, and you only have a certain amount of dollars to apportion to all services, then you have to make some shithouse choices.

As I said, I'm not sure what the cost of increasing refugee numbers by the amounts I've indicated would be but it is certain to be significant. Which wouldn't necessarily be a problem if we were running massive surpluses every year, but we aren't. So we have to make almost impossible choices. One of those is that through no fault of their own, some refugees will always miss out.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

But they aren't illegal due the fact that they are seeking asylum. This isn't illegal. Is it? I could be wrong about that.

the term "illegal boat arrivals" doesn't necessarily mean the people on the boats are also "illegal".
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

the term "illegal boat arrivals" doesn't necessarily mean the people on the boats are also "illegal".

I would've thought that there isn't much of a distinction, if any. The boat, or vessel, can only be determined illegal by the people it is carrying surely. It would only be an illegal boat if it has people on it who aren't seeking asylum who also haven't sought prior authorisation to dock on Australian terrestrial territory.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm

Last edited by Geezah: 23-Jul-13 at 02:34pm

claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

Jebus Dub Delay… err I mean Claude, I think we have done this dance before: http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...ighlight=boats ...i even told you to suck my balls lol....sorry bout that.

btw, we are talking about illegal boat arrivals.

Ha...! I can't bring myself to read the thead. I'm sure we have. Tragic .
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

Ha...! I can't bring myself to read the thead. I'm sure we have. Tragic .

Holy fuck. I just took that trip. Now I want to go back and punch my 2009 self right in the fucking face. I reckon the delete function should have no time limit. I'd probably lose about 9 thousand posts but I'm good with that.
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

Holy fuck. I just took that trip. Now I want to go back and punch my 2009 self right in the fucking face. I reckon the delete function should have no time limit. I'd probably lose about 9 thousand posts but I'm good with that.

you and I both Geez. I also told you that your attitude was stupid and small-minded. err sorry bout that one too.......
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
Zodiac +

What do you mean we aren't going to the Superbowl?

Zodiac's Avatar
Joined
Dec '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,748
Thanked 3,335 Times in 1,825 Posts
Posts
16,353
I've thought long and hard about this and my solution to all of this is simple: shoot them all (and by all I mean the Australian politicians).
"Words are bullshit. They are just useless sounds we make with our stupid mouths". Rafi - The league
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Geezah's Avatar
Joined
Sep '03
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,825
Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,176 Posts
Posts
12,935

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

you and I both Geez. I also told you that your attitude was stupid and small-minded. err sorry bout that one too.......

My former-self says no worries. I'm not gonna bother apologising though. To you or anyone else. I'd double my post count if that was to be the case. Such a pious ball of fuck, I was.

Spoiler:
I still am suckers. Mua ha ha ha ha ha
Avatar artist: Dain Fagerholm
mogmac +

Registered User

mogmac's Avatar
Joined
May '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 774
Thanked 116 Times in 63 Posts
Posts
1,692
being 4 years older and wiser, I now know that if I am to resort to calling someone a 'fuckwit', that I should use you're, not your.
CircusMidget +

De plane! De plane!

CircusMidget's Avatar
Joined
Jan '09
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 301
Thanked 1,386 Times in 652 Posts
Posts
4,093

Quote:

Originally Posted by Geezah View Post

I would've thought that there isn't much of a distinction, if any. The boat, or vessel, can only be determined illegal by the people it is carrying surely. It would only be an illegal boat if it has people on it who aren't seeking asylum who also haven't sought prior authorisation to dock on Australian terrestrial territory.

The boats are not registered, and many don't have an epirb
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

rancho's Avatar
Joined
May '05
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,776
Thanked 7,099 Times in 2,856 Posts
Posts
22,185

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

phoneyhuh +

3o~

phoneyhuh's Avatar
Joined
Jul '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 16
Thanked 208 Times in 131 Posts
Posts
8,070
I wonder how many of the eight hundred and something recent Vietnamese arrivals had people shooting at them. Stick to physics Karl....
base615 +

base, proud, shallow, beggarly, three-suited, hundred-pound, filthy, worsted-stocking knave

base615's Avatar
Joined
Jan '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 2,601
Thanked 2,589 Times in 1,167 Posts
Posts
7,990

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

Do you want me to start posting the numerous of photos I have of murdered children being eaten by the entire village in PNG?

Can I have access to your collection? It's difficult to find extreme fapping material these days

Quote:

Originally Posted by RaVeR_SpIkE View Post

all i can say is fuck you ref you fuckhead

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

SpaceMonkey's Avatar
Joined
Jul '02
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 519
Thanked 6,687 Times in 3,877 Posts
Posts
35,221

Quote:

Originally Posted by phoneyhuh View Post

I wonder how many of the eight hundred and something recent Vietnamese arrivals had people shooting at them. Stick to physics Karl....

Maybe not them, but I'm pretty sure Afghan Hazaras still don't feel particularly safe there.
crabman +

I might be a **** but I'm not a fucking ****.

crabman's Avatar
Joined
Oct '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 15,417
Thanked 8,299 Times in 3,650 Posts
Posts
14,137

Quote:

Originally Posted by liberabit View Post

i think most bogans people are just worried about guys like this trying to slip into our country by posing as boat people

fyp bro

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiron View Post

How about you people actually learn a little thing called having a fucking conscious and not being heartless sociopath you piece of shit.

الاستماع إلى ... ال التنفس المدينة.

اسم اللعبة هو ضوء يعمل.
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Lambretta's Avatar
Joined
Oct '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 778
Thanked 1,018 Times in 665 Posts
Posts
23,121

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chach View Post

Thats the beauty of this policy, it doesn't affect white christians, they can keep coming on planes with visas

White Christians who don't have skills that we want or aren't worth marrying are sent back without the right to claim asylum

So it kinda evens out over the long haul

Hell, sometimes even the ones worth marrying are deported


This girl for instance was arrested, thrown in detention and deported.
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Lambretta's Avatar
Joined
Oct '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 778
Thanked 1,018 Times in 665 Posts
Posts
23,121

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

but why does there have to be a dollar figure attached to everything?
a price tag attached to freedom.

Because everything comes at a price

The flip side to your slogan is why do Countries that aren't complete fuck ups have to sort out the problems of those that are?

Asking dumb questions is dumb.
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
claude glass +

Registered User

claude glass's Avatar
Joined
Jun '10
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 25
Thanked 760 Times in 454 Posts
Posts
4,157

Quote:

Originally Posted by trist View Post

you and I both Geez. I also told you that your attitude was stupid and small-minded. err sorry bout that one too.......

I just read the thread. I have to hand it to you trist. Your enduring dedication to being wrong on this issue is truly inspirationsl.
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

i am an alias's Avatar
Joined
Oct '04
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 7,038
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
Posts
6,880

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post

Because everything comes at a price

The flip side to your slogan is why do Countries that aren't complete fuck ups have to sort out the problems of those that are?

Asking dumb questions is dumb.

geez louise... it was not a question but a statement. or rhetorical question. heard of those before?

why is there a price tag attached to freedom and choice? because countries are greedy and leaders, corrupt. there is plenty of land on this earth to house everyone, feed everyone. but why are there still sections that are undeveloped or overcrowded? because idiots want to put prices on things and claim they cannot afford to fix the issues.

the thing is, people don't want to fix the issues. they want money to control everything and that way they do not need to feel guilty that they are letting things occur.

perhaps i am more of a idealist than you lot. but i can see a clear remedy. remove money from the equation.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
trist +

too many years on ITM

trist's Avatar
Joined
Mar '01
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 198
Thanked 315 Times in 243 Posts
Posts
8,768

Quote:

Originally Posted by claude glass View Post

I just read the thread. I have to hand it to you trist. Your enduring dedication to being wrong on this issue is truly inspirationsl.

lol....glad I am able to inspire you claude
Come with us back to those inglorious days when heroes weren't zeros. Before fair was square. When the cavalry came straight away and all-American men were like Hemingway to the days of the wondrous B movie. Gil Scott-Heron
smorchika +

Registered User

smorchika's Avatar
Joined
May '07
Times thanked
<
Thanks: 3,349
Thanked 510 Times in 349 Posts
Posts
5,229
https://theconversation.com/what-lif...t-in-png-16297


So, the conversation provides an overview of the new policy, which brings up an awful lot of questions coupled with an anecdotal account of the writers experience in PNG. Also touches on reported violence.
Reply

« Previous Thread Next Thread »

Posting Rules

+
    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts