The DJ Booth

Speaker recommendations for DJing

Tools
rogerd90 +

Times thanked
<
Speaker recommendations for DJing
Hi guys,

Just wanted to get some advice on some good speakers around the $500-700 range that I can purchase for home DJing.
Sound quality is of course the most important, especially at higher volumes. I've been looking into getting a second hand JBL EON518S or KRK ROKITs
I'm running a xone92 and cdj 900s as a setup and playing primarily deep house, tech house and techno.

Thanks for the help and insights!

Last edited by rogerd90: 29-Jan-14 at 06:49pm

Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
Dont get loudspeakers for home use. Unless you are having backyard parties and have cool neighbors.
Get some krk rokits for a decent sounding speakers around that price point or some behringer truths

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
The Event BAS 20/20s are fantastic for DJing. Heaps of volume, great sound quality, probably the only purchase I've ever made that I've never felt the need to even consider buying something else.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
Gezd +

Daddio

Times thanked
<
I've yamaha HS80s and really like them - very clean sounding. Although since I spent years playing on headphones, I've found the drop in bass a bit hard to get used to.

They are a bit more that your price range though.
======================================
Latest mix: strickly downtempo affair.
https://soundcloud.com/redpeople/backtomine

Other mixes:
http://www.mixcrate.com/gezd#uploads
bradj88 +

Times thanked
<
I've got Audioengine A5+'s at home and they sound great, monitors/bookshelf speakers are good for smaller rooms.
If you have a bigger room maybe look for a second hand 70's/80's hi fi setup, the 92 would sound great through a nice valve receiver.
waxonwaxoff +

Times thanked
<
had a pair of Adam a7x's a while back. sounded fantastic but in a higher price bracket to the ones mentioned. If your going the studio monitor route id recommend a sub also.
Nick_H +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

The Event BAS 20/20s are fantastic for DJing. Heaps of volume, great sound quality, probably the only purchase I've ever made that I've never felt the need to even consider buying something else.

I can vouch for the 20/20's. Punchy bass with crisp highs.
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
<
KRK's are great for home use, but not so good for playing out at gigs or mobile DJ application. If you can stretch your budget a little more, you can pick up a pair of EV ZLX12p's for about $1000 bucks give or take. Soundwise, they have been compared to QSC K12s but cost half the price. They punch way above their weight and absolutely leave anything in their price bracket in the dust. They are very light and versatile - I use them at home and when I play out.
Leksi_Dropz +

Times thanked
<
What do you think of used JBL's or EV ZLX12p's new be better? I'm in a similar situation don't want to spend large amounts of money but want something thats reasonable for home and party use
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leksi_Dropz View Post

What do you think of used JBL's or EV ZLX12p's new be better? I'm in a similar situation don't want to spend large amounts of money but want something thats reasonable for home and party use

I cringe when I see guys play in the red and cant help but think what damage they might be doing to their speakers. for this reason, I am reluctant to buy second hand speakers cos I don't know what punishment or abuse has been thrown at them. that's my personal opinion though. don't get me wrong, JBLs are great and if you find a 2nd hand pair that sound good to you and are in good shape, then why not? if your going to get second hand, find out if they are still under warranty. some of the higher end speakers have longer warranty periods so you might be covered still - just make sure you get warranty details from seller. at the end of the day, trust your ears. The EVs meet my needs nicely and the pricing meant I could get them new and that's why I got them.
Birdbrain +

Times thanked
<
for the price and the purpose of home studio use you really cant go past krk. they have a decent low end which is what you want for dance music.

if its for playing a venue it would generally depend on the size of the place. ive got a pair of rcf 310a. they are not bad but seriously lack the low end punch. youd want to add a sub.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »