The DJ Booth

droppin in with intros

Tools
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
droppin in with intros
Hi I have a lot of drum and bass tunes that have long intros with no beat and I find them hard to mix as I want to drop them in from the beginning coz I love the way they start..any tips to keep them in time..
DJ D one +

Times thanked
<
I am not into D&B, but if I had trouble keeping them in sync, I would look into other ways of throwing them in, from my point of view doing the same style of transition all the time is not it...but that's me...I'll suggest use a cue and drum it, why not an old reverse spin, or filter, they are so many effect available to use as transition...I suggest you watch laidback luke and kissy sell out on the pioneer dj show look at the 2012-2013-2014 of this two fellow for some inspiration....Zabiela and rick Parkinson are also worth looking out, maybe not your style of tunes but you might catch up may little tricks that can spice up your set....Good luck
D1
www.weeknsoundz.com
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
Have you got an example track? I find most dnb tunes with massive intros like that generally have a really light hat/stab/something playing somewhere in the background that you can mix with. Sometimes I can't even hear it and have to keep an eye on the serato readout.

Otherwise time the intro and write it on the cd / mp3 tag and do a manual countdown to the breakdown of the outgoing song. As dnb is so dj-centric I'm sure you'll find something to use to mix it but there is some tough ones out there.

Don't go crazy with effects, dnb is definitely a style of music that does better with less effects imo.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
Ghostman +

Times thanked
<
cheers guys
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
Just practice man...I've played DnB with some mates from time to time and noticed loads have long intro's, sometimes with some hats/snares to time off, sometimes just melodies to a big drop which can be a pain in the ass. I'd always skip forward to that drop, do my beat matching from there, wind back to the start and mix through the intro...it might not sound like much, but there's always SOMETHING there to keep your timing from, even if it's just when the melody gets back to the 1/16 start etc. Practice practice practice, if you're got your beat matching good, from the drop point, your intro should match up and just keep your ear on it and hope like hell it's still in line when she drops!
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low

« Previous Thread Next Thread »