Forum Helpdesk

Beta test: m.inthemix.com.au

Tools
djdrey +

Loving the ITM iphone app.. Check it out!

Times thanked
<
Beta test: m.inthemix.com.au
Hey All,

Ok - so you've been able to access the ITM Forums for a while on your mobile, but how about the rest of the site? Well, now that we've gotten most of the site update fixes, tweaks, updates and re-updates out of the way, we've been able to turn our eye to just that question.

That's where you come in. We've just sent live the first, initial release of our mobile web version http://m.inthemix.com.au

This is VERSION 1! It's designed for iPhone and Android devices. If you're using something else, it'll work as long as you have a fairly modern mobile browser. It's not complete and has bugs and issues, so don't go all hating on it all at once. That said, we're keen to hear what you think and any comments, suggestions or requests you have.

Check it out now, point your mobile browser to: http://m.inthemix.com.au

We'll be updating it again in next Thursday's code release, focusing on:
  • integrating mobile forum so they have a consistent look & feel and live on the same domain
  • adding What's On content
  • article comments
  • implementing login / logout
  • fixing bugs
Dropping logic bombs since 2000

Quote:

Originally Posted by KillaKowalski View Post

BOOM!! djdrey just dropped a LOGIC BOMB on yo ass!!

scradeley +

-

Times thanked
<
Boom! Shit just got real folks...
- It's all about the Music
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
Is good

I had a couple of suggestions but they're in your bullet points already.
sillyclimber +

playing with his old friend... ITM

Times thanked
<
You need to make it so ITM recognises that the browser is mobile based so I can goto www.inthemix.com.au and be diverted to m.inthemix.com.au
djsimonmann +

Times thanked
<
^^ agrees with ^^

/waves
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,439 Times in 804 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by sillyclimber View Post

You need to make it so ITM recognises that the browser is mobile based so I can goto www.inthemix.com.au and be diverted to m.inthemix.com.au

+1
dotDNA +

Interested Observer

Times thanked
<
^Maybe once out of beta.

It should be slick and stable first.

With 'todays posts' to promote an increase in cross forum banter.
djdrey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotDNA View Post

^Maybe once out of beta.

Yeah we will do that.. We probably won't do a global redirect of any www address tho, as there won't always be a mobile counterpart. I'm currently thinking to simply have a popup or warning on key pages, like home, forumhome and articles. Should be enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by dotDNA View Post

With 'todays posts' to promote an increase in cross forum banter.

Nice suggestion.

Quote:

plan-b +

I found the Treasure of Mêlée Island and all I got was this stupid user title

Times thanked
<
Any chance of making the website icon the same as the forums? here's how the two look side by side on the iPhone home screen:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Just to clarify where the line is drawn:

• Ragging on someone when they're actively posting and pretty much asking for it: OK
  • Starting a new joke train on them when they're not around: Please don't

djdrey +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by plan-b View Post

Any chance of making the website icon the same as the forums? here's how the two look side by side on the iPhone home screen:

We'll be moving it all to the same domain, so it'll be a single shortcut anyway.

Quote:

SparklingSam +

Is it beer o'clock yet?

Times thanked
<
when you hit menu and the screen slides down to show you the menu options, it would be nice if the CLOSE option was a bit wider. It's a much skinnier bar than the other menu options and harder to select on the touch screen

/fat fingers
You can't help that. We're all mad here
scradeley +

-

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by SparklingSam View Post

when you hit menu and the screen slides down to show you the menu options, it would be nice if the CLOSE option was a bit wider. It's a much skinnier bar than the other menu options and harder to select on the touch screen

/fat fingers

Agreed...

I think the close option is redundant anyway as you can press menu button again to close the menu. Perhaps if the menu button had a little + or - on it to show whether it was in a collapsed or expanded state.
- It's all about the Music
danmau5 +

has just about had it up to here with you.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,549 Times in 1,791 Posts
one thing that I love about some of my apps is the speed at which I can go in and out of a page. obviously this isn't an app, but is there any way that in going back a page it doesn't have to reload the whole thing? other than that, I love it!
Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
Tried it on a Desire HD. Works like a charm
Can we set more ppp though as an option so it doesn't pop up a thousand pages?
Hooch1981 +

Home sex is killing prostitution

Times thanked
<
Cool stuff!
I'm excited that this is finally happening.

I always imagined it would have a Pulse/BBC style interface (yeah, I know they're apps, not pages).
Scroll to the right for articles, scroll down for topics... Text on top of photos (like you are already doing on the main site)... that sort of thing.

Can you add this line?
<meta name="apple-mobile-web-app-capable" content="yes">

hmm.. never mind
Hooch done a photo

Last edited by Hooch1981: 14-Dec-10 at 12:03pm

the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
<
So far so good. Loads pretty quickly, no probs with articles or features.
Jump to new or having a reply at the top would be handy.
Blinding red-orange is easier to read when not in bold

Posted this from a blackberry 9100 with 5.xx OS
the_pezman +

itsnotjustfunkitsafusion

Times thanked
<
Ps. "Post reply" needs to a button instead of just text
manvan +

yerfuknWOT?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,619 Times in 406 Posts
Token message to enter competition.

But come to realize you need a bigger phone to type on - got a HTC Magic and my fat ass fingers make typing this a nightmare. How the hell do you kiddies blaze through your herp 'n' derp on these things? Currently - 7 minutes to type this. Fml.
Santa_Claus +

Times thanked
<
hey all - FYI, for today's task in THE 12 DAYS OF INTHEMIXMAS we have asked everyone to try out the mobile site and come here to give feedback. the four best posts win a mobile broadband wifi modem... and here's the good news, because you guys have already been participating in the discussion all your posts made to this point count as automatic entries.

laters,
santa
boarder513 +

Times thanked
<
I just have a couple of suggestions:

1. I reckon there should be a 'login' tab at the top of the home page, perhaps next to the menu tab or something, instead of at the bottom of the forum tab. And once you login once, and tick a remember me tab, it say Welcome (your username).

2. On the homepage for the articles/headlines, have the first couple of sentences of the article underneath the heading. And then you just click (like it is now) to read more.

Besides from those points, i reckon its pretty good.

Cheers
aquilina +

Times thanked
<
I think it would better to choose your location first thing on the site rather than after you have scrolled down to the bottom of the page. I'm also a bit unsure but I wasn't able to find up coming events in my home town once selected or if it is even available. I think it would a nice edition to the site. Otherwise the site layout is very neat and clean and easy to read navigate through.

Tried on 3GS iPhone
lem02 +

Times thanked
<
a login section. links to forums etc. needs more navigational areas perhaps above the news feed such as links to latest music videos/photos/artists, a top ten tracklist of the month would be amazing (like, "Tunes you can't live without"), and all of the users favourited artists/articles to be more relevant in the news feeds. Longer news feeds.

(Im on android - xperia x10)

Last edited by lem02: 16-Dec-10 at 08:27am

Reason: updated info

KateyKat81 +

Times thanked
<
I'm on Android. It loads fast, easy to use.

I think though if i was looking for something I'd find it hard to find.

Also, my biggest use of inthemix is what events are on. Would be good to see "What's on tonight" on the mobile version.
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
<
It looks pretty sweet! My only suggestion is that in addition to having the city to select from, also have preferred genres that you're into so the latest news and gigs etc is listed with your music preference at the top
Bergs +

Ya mum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bergs View Post

It looks pretty sweet! My only suggestion is that in addition to having the city to select from, also have preferred genres that you're into so the latest news and gigs etc is listed with your music preference at the top

I can't edit this in the iPhone app (another suggetion, add an edit post function for the forum). My suggestion is to list the information you see by each users musical Preferance
ayong +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
can you do a menu bar with searches i.e forums or photos?
CHEER UP EMO!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/anthonyyong

http://www.flickr.com/photos/photo_assassins/
markeee +

Your profile is 89% complete...

Times thanked
<
i'm going to have to get one of these fancy phones now.

(posted from PC)
fb
davidhes +

Times thanked
<
Inthemix Mobile Page Bugs and Suggestions

Bugs Found with the page:

- It seems on some pages that the actual size of the page is too wide, allowing you to scroll sideways and see just blank space, the size needs to be restricted to just the text and image areas.

- Once you choose go to forum it is very difficult to actually get back to the main mobile page. And if you choose to view the forum in original view, to see some things that you can't in mobile (located at the bottom of the page) then you are unable to return to mobile view, from what I can see?

- Once you go through a couple of pages, say to read an album review, the only way to get back to the mobile home page is by pressing back several times. Should be a mobile home page button under the menu.

- When going into international and choosing a festival, and then attempting to press the back button to return to the international page it comes up with a page not found error.

Suggestions:

- When first accessing the page a login page should be encountered, allowing you to enter your details and preferred city. Saving this for future visits to the site so it would automatically have you logged in and know your preferred city, so you wouldn't see the login page again.

- A what's on guide for the mobile page that lists the most popular things on today and in the near future for your selected city, should automatically display based on your user preferences

- Integration with the facebook page would be a good addition, ability to like articles or post comments and read them just below, all linked to the actual inthemix fb page.

- Ability to view the videos currently on inthemix in a viewable html5 format

- Ability to view the photos taken at events on inthemix

- Ability to edit the user profile

- Ability to enter competitions and view winners listed on inthemix

- Mobile way to view tickets available to purchase

Tested using an iPhone 4 and iPhone 3gs

Overall I think the page is an excellent start and what I have been waiting for. It has been far too difficult trying to zoom into a tiny area on the current inthemix page using an iphone. The new page features almost all the aspects of the standard inthemix page that everyone loves. However there is room for improvement and I look forward to seeing it!

Last edited by davidhes: 16-Dec-10 at 11:11am

craiglundon +

Times thanked
<
something like a select city page as a start screen/have it remember you/keep you logged in, search options, upcoming events/todays events, links to the artists/tracks on itunes/whatever
sexyem +

Times thanked
<
iPhone 4:

Hmmm easy to use - which is great. Def got that right...as those difficult apps n website on the iPhone are just a pain...

Except, as I enter the forum on the mobile, where is the link to go back to the home of mobile itm? I keep hitting the little home symbol and it just takes me to the home of the forum...so now I have to re-enter the link...possibly install a button so i can go back to itm home menu etc instead of hitting back browser OR re-entering link..

Would also be great to EDIT my profile, link would be great to access when in Forums.

DEF need a search box at the top of when you first enter m itm! It would be a long tedious task going through link after link...from menu to whatever I want to look for...

Also, in the menu option - please add an "Upcoming Events" link...the event reviews are obviously only for past - I want info on Future Events so i can get PUMPED!!!

Keep up the good work! Cheers!
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,931 Posts
Posting from blackberry storm2.

Looks slick, am having an issue when I switch between portrait view and landscape view, (when I turn my phone sideways) the width does not increase, soni end up with a white bar down the left hand side of my phone.

Apart from that, looks great and will most likely start browsinv itm from my phone more often.
VanBuurenisGod +

BRTG

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,962 Times in 1,670 Posts
With regards to the forums, there is no ability to edit a post after posting.

Quite often my iPhone automatically changes my l33t interweb spelling to something wrong. I generally don't read over my posts before 'posting', and then when I realise the error it's too late.

Also, signatures aren't attached to posts using mobile ITM.
mr_mat +

♫♪.ılılıll|̲̅̅●̲̅̅|̲̅̅=̲̅̅|̅ ̲̅●̲̅̅|llılılı.♫♪

Times thanked
<
Firstly I would like to see the feature of being able to customize the m.inthemix.com.au website front end, including the ability to enable/disable the different feature categories on the main page to my liking.

Ideally I would like National News including if any touring schedule/dates, followed by Local news with including if any touring schedule/dates.

For the album reviews I would like to see an include short blurbs or even just a genre heading, so as not having to enter the review then go back to the main album index upon finding out it is not your preferred genre.

I would also like the “what’s on” categories to be included and be presented with the ability of a directional guide via GPS to the venue, an interface for ticket purchasing via the site that would also be ideal.

Process Workflow,
1. Find out what’s on or in the closest vicinity preferably by Genre
2. Be able to easily book tickets or redirect to a ticketing provider
3. Get street by street directions (Similar to the EAT/Drink apps) to the venue via GPS
4. View photos of the night in my customized homepage (maybe even include a cookie so your browser can track which events you’ve attended or are of interest and display the appropriate photo set)
5. ????
6. Profit

that's enough for now, pm if you like to hear more

mat
TheMagician +

Times thanked
<
Simple and Easy to use site that loads quickly, even the images can be viewed without the need of a magnified glass. Def a good public transport filler. not all the links worked. Podcast download would be great and Video links.
immature +

Times thanked
<
Hey guys, just checking out the new site!

Works well on my Blackberry (Bold 9700), displays nicely in column view - not all websites do. I like the popup menu bar Loads instantly using the Blackberry browser. Doesn't seem to do this using Opera Mini though - needs to load first, don't know why.

Few suggestions that others may have noted as well:

- Would be nice to be able to login to your account

- Couldn't seem to see a What's On link, is there going to be one on the mobile website?

- Will you be able to buy tickets?
NattieJ +

Times thanked
<
Search option would be amazing, login on the homepage, maybe access to your open competitions.

Is there a way to get back from the Forums to the featured/what's on pages? I can't see it. If it is there maybe make it more visible.

It seems pretty neat and it's a brilliant idea but to me it doesn't have the grabbing aspect that your website has, however, I understand it has to be quite minimal for the phone browsers.
joe8307 +

Times thanked
<
- Feedback for Android phone running 2.2 - QVGA Resolution.

First impressions
* Great simple and minimalist not too cluttered.
* Very standard interface features , don't need to work out clicking where does what.
* Like the menu animation as well to navigate to different sections.

Suggested Improvments

I've never understood why I can get porno pop up's saying there are girls "waiting" for me in the next suburb over, yet inthemix cannot determine that I don't live in Sydney (im in melb). I'm sure you can work out what city people are in from their IP and make the default adjustment accordingly.

My point of view is from a small screen mobile (QVGA) I know the real estate is valuable so IMO make the thumbnails slightly smaller, adjust the margins a little more, change the date formatting ( maybe dd/mm/yy and slot it under the image icon?) and you have more room for whacky news titles!
Also to navigate to specific news sections you need to click on the menu. Most 'news' sites have a brief summary of their top stories from each section I dunno maybe 3-4. ie "top news" 3-4, "local news" 3-4" , International news"3-4" etc..

If you read a post and want to reply to it (maybe in a thread 100 posts long) you should provide a quick option to reply etc. Best way would be how gmail had it with a floating tool bar the follows you when you scroll down with a few key buttons or a stationary one that stays at the top of the screen ( or bottom).

I clicked the home button wanting to go to the main inthemix page, but I was taken to the forum home. I clicked on the inthemix title at the top and it didn't do anything. I had to re navigate back to the start.

Other thoughts
So you already have a mobile web site built Im sure it can be quite easy to whip up an android app as a shell which holds a web view to the mobile site. I know it kind of cheating but you could get a bit more exposure through the app market. ( id be willing to give this ago hit me up!)
You could try and implement easier log in functionality and other simple notifications through the app as well.

Peace
Joe
begirl +

where are the hybrid tickets !!!

Times thanked
<
Hey guys,

I love it, very informative.

GOOD FEEDBACK,
I love how simple it is.: "News & International News" easy to stand out,
the layout is good - especially being left to right - easy to follow
content lay out very simple and easy.
video clipping nice and accessable

STRETCH FEEDBACK
I didn't like how I had to click to go from page to page once in an article. - its better to have all on one page
Bold the "news and international news" so it stands out more
Include date & time posted - it adds more excitment to the article
an option to customize your own face for phone we rock!!
more description around genre's of music i.e D & B - live - producers
I would keep it nice and simple thought - if possible stay away from too much text in the heading of the articles. - Keep it Visual (if you must ad more content to heading - try a different font or colour to make it nice and destinquished.

hope this helps
thanks
b
jakaroo303 +

Times thanked
<
After using the site on my Nokia N97 this week i think you guys have done a pretty good job in the first version.

But I do think you could definately utilise the space on the home page a bit more efficiently. Without annoying too many people you could easily fit in a small banner ad across the top area just underneath the itm logo and again in each of the articles. This would be a very easy way to make a little bit more money and i doubt anyone would object so long as the ads were not too big or obtrusive.

I also think that the home page needs both a 'log in' link and a search bar although both of these features could also just be added to the menu options. The menu could also perhaps have a link to photo albums, and the competitions page.

Apart from this, the site looks great. And it really is a lot nicer to use on my phone than the main site because the load times are so significantly reduced and the page is a lot clearer and nicer to use.

Keep up the great work!
djcz +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
I like the idea of being bale to customise the landing page - that way we can include whatever is suitable for us; whats on, aussie headlines, music reviews.
awidjona +

Times thanked
<
I open the mobile site from my Nokia. Layout looks great, very easy to navigate, and content can be loaded at very fast speed.

Only criticism, where is the "what's on" section? Would be very useful if ITMers looking for a party while hanging out with friends on the weekends.
scrypton +

Times thanked
<
What I Think It Can Be Done Better
I was using iPhone and these are my thoughts:

What's already awesome:
1. Plenty of pictures which make the pages alive.
2. Related articles feature is awesome!

Errors?
I was looking at Glade Festival reborn article (in International) and clicked on the square pictures on the bottom of the article. It opened in a new window before it said "Page Not Found"? Also, these square pictures should have a heading (eg. "Event pictures") so people wont get confused as to whether these pictures are this event's pictures or links to related events or something else.

Maybe it would be good if these pictures could open on the same page using 'lightbox' method rather than opening a new window. Better yet, put all the picture thumbnails in one row and have left and right arrows for scrolling (or allow swiping gestures on touchscreen phones for scroll -- like Google Images! )

Other improvement suggestions:
1. The articles in the Headlines and Latest News are mostly the same. I think Headlines can be removed as it looks redundant.
2. When you remove Headlines, you have more space to add other sections such as Event Reviews (which I believe deserves to be in the main page).
3. I prefer to not have to click the "Menu" button everytime I need to do something. Maybe you can create some a menu bar which always "sticks" to the top/bottom (or possibly a floating menu which always moves to the top/bottom) with mini icons for faster navigation.
4. I would also like to see more sections being made available, such as: Upcoming Events, Competitions, etc.
5. With Upcoming Events, maybe we can integrate it to Social Networking such as Facebook Events, Twitter, and FourSquare?
6. Can you disable the ability to swipe the page to the left and right so it wont expose the browser's background? (If you see iphone.news.com.au you can see that when you swipe the page to the left and right, the page doesn't move).
fullymad +

Times thanked
<
HTC Desire here,

Overall the site runs very smoothly, as already said, once out of beta a redirect from the main site to the mobile site would be nice. On the Tron legacy feature page i had to reload it a couple of times because I was getting a red Page not Found sign. That could have been to do with my mobile net connection also.

I like the fact that you have a warning before you navigate to a part of the site that isn't optimised for mobile browsers.

Integration of the comment features on articles would be nice, as well as some of the other main sections of the site (events and competitions)

Navigating the forums worked ok, but if i clicked on the main heading for a forum section (special, rather than 12 days of inthemixmas) it came up saying that no posts had been made in that section. Not a great fan of the red text on a white background, makes it quite hard to read when outdoors on a mobile screen.

Other than those couple of things that need a bit of tweaking, for a beta release it seems to be running fine, works well with the way the Desires browser resizes the articles to fit on the screen.

+1
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,987 Times in 1,931 Posts
Its good.

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

kegga +

Get ta wok

Times thanked
<
aesthetically it leaves me wanting something more interesting to look at,

more interactive options (being able to like artists n festivals n the like)

Music/Video Streaming would be nice, or even access to free tracks

Would occasionally get "Unable to open page" when was trying to access forum (dunno if thats just my phone or not)

Love the making an app idea, opening up the option to get notifications on certain updates n news releases.

Nice work so far though, keep it up~
djdrey +

Times thanked
<
Hey All,

Loving the feedback.. Keep it coming.. A few answers for you on common questions or suggestions:
  • The link between the mobile site and mobile forum is currently not complete. As some of you have noticed, they effectively act as two seperate mobile sites at the moment. We're working to integrate these at the moment to make it a more seemless experience and to fix the navigation.
  • We're also working on implementing the What's On guide for the mobile site. It should be ready by next week (we're about 50% done).
  • Logins will be better in today's release, but as many of you suggest, we may move this to be a persistent prompt on first load, so you can login and set your location once and then just re-use that information on your next visit(s).

Quote:

dotDNA +

Interested Observer

Times thanked
<
thanks joe,

floating menu bar?

Are you serious?

Are you biggs?
djdrey +

Times thanked
<
On the floating menu bar.. we'd probably more likely do a footer bar with some controls in it. It's a little more complex and there are some cross browser issues with it, so we've left that alone for the moment.

Quote:

birkec +

Times thanked
<
On my iPhone 3G
I think you guys have done a good job with the first verion of the mobile site.
I like the simple layout of the pages and the consistency of it. No doubt more improvements will be on their way. Some people have already added suggestions relating to forums and logins but I have several suggestions for improvement in site navigation and adding some useful tools.

1. Use a layout to more easily distinguish which category page you are on: Local, International, Event etc. After clicking around for a while I found I lost track of where I am as all the pages look the same.

2. Consider maybe adding a direcroty indicator at the top of the page to identify where you are are to aid navigation allowing you to easily go to the parent directory/category and the home page.

3. I found that to go back to the home page you may need to click BACK a few time. I would suggest adding a HOME button somewhere at the top right corner. Even adding HEADLINES and LATEST ARTICLES to the main menu would be a good idea as currently they are on the home page.

4. Add a tool in the articles to enable to email the page to a mate if you see something interesting.

5. On the "Page not found" page there is a link called "return to the homepage" which returns you to www.inthemix.com.au. I would expect it to return me to the mobile site homepage instead.

5. Consider adding a PODCAST section as well.

6. Would be great to have a WHATS ON sections too just like on the main website which is the bit I most often use.

All in all love your work and keep it up
In other thoughts, we all love the main inthemix website just the way it is so aiming to progressively make the mobile inthemix site as close to the real deal in terms of functionality would be uber impressive!

Cheers!
Zol
Nattaz11 +

Times thanked
<
Done a great job, all the above lil touch ups will help to make it an easy to use excellent website.
Good work!!!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »