The DJ Booth

moving from bedroom dj to the greater world!

Tools
olgregg +

Times thanked
<
moving from bedroom dj to the greater world!
hey guys,

ive been djing in my bedroom and at house parties etc. for the past 5 years or so (lost the interest for a few years whilst finishing uni, but now finished uni and keen on it again).

Im just wondering, how does one go from where I am at to spinning in a club....any club to begin with, i really dont care...it doesnt have to be brown alley straight up.

I will say, i tend to go to Railway in Brunswick a fair bit, and i liked the dj spinning in the bar part so i did a bit of searching and found out who he is (turns out hes the resident) and found him on fb...have had a bit of a fb chat with him a little while back just saying l like the stuff he was spinning etc...

so im thinking it would probs be a good idea to perhaps send him a link to my soundcloud and ask him to check it out/let me know of anything going that might be able to get some air time at.

any other thoughts on this?

Thanks guys!

Cheers,

Livo
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Keep doing what you're doing. Go out, talk to DJs, talk to promoters, get yourself known, then eventually ask for a spot, or you might even get luck and get offered one without asking. Sending out Soundcloud links doesn't really work that much if they don't know who you are.

I got my first gig at the Railway this Sunday, it's taken quite a while but that's the best advice I can give, I imagine others will pretty much say the same thing.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
You got your first gig at Sunny! Well done!
olgregg +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

Keep doing what you're doing. Go out, talk to DJs, talk to promoters, get yourself known, then eventually ask for a spot, or you might even get luck and get offered one without asking. Sending out Soundcloud links doesn't really work that much if they don't know who you are.

I got my first gig at the Railway this Sunday, it's taken quite a while but that's the best advice I can give, I imagine others will pretty much say the same thing.

Hey Shr3dder!

Thanks for the advice, good to know...i have always kind of thought there's prob not much luck sending out links to my soundcloud mixes, as I have no doubt the important people are bombarded with that stuff all the time from budding djs. So, good to know that i assumed correctly. I think I will still email a link of my soundcloud to the guy I met/have on FB (sort of know, in the barest sense) that djs in the pub part of Railway....

And that's awesome about your gig this weekend man, congrats! Are you spinning at Sunny on Saturday or Bortz and Mayer on Sunday? I'll probably be at one of the two - what's your DJ alias, I'll come check you out!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »