<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
why for?
step on my cubes.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts
i don't get the appeal for a pc case. it's a metal box that opens up with some motors. whoopeee

unrelated whoopeeee

Media Player

even more unrelated to unrelated whoopeeee
what happens when an nvidia chip fails? they find out why

Media Player

Last edited by NismoR31: 28-Apr-16 at 08:02am

Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,208 Posts
Someone has spent some serious money on Lego trains. Needless to say I want.
Media Player
ianwil1976 +

Autism

Times thanked
<
Thanked 15,156 Times in 6,136 Posts
dairy still the uber nerd around here yo
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,415 Times in 7,540 Posts
i know the first three numbers
The Duke +

better resolution than the real world

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vote Quimby View Post

Someone has spent some serious money on Lego trains. Needless to say I want.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ai7DHG4w1U0

That's awesome. Even the train fails are entertaining.
Media Player
_______
Flickr
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
How good are those trains!?

I watched a whole bunch of those vids the other day. So good. So mesmerising!
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
Media Player
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
lol

Media Player
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts
Vintage 80's sets with the switchgear/lights and powered rails were way cooler than these newfangled battery sets.

Media Player

Think I have a set with lights/switches etc in storage at the rents somewhere, wonder if it would be worth anything?

Have a hazy memory of a big set they had at the lego center at birkenhead point back in the day and never being able to get a fucking turn at the controls.. Nostalgia trip..

Media Player
Bye now!
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

i'd agree but the notion of going on a reseller plan is rofl enough that it's hard for the minor details to top it

lmao they did it

just got an email from kogan advertising their mobile plans promising "4G coming soon"
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

Vintage 80's sets with the switchgear/lights and powered rails were way cooler than these newfangled battery sets.

the powered rails were good because they ran off MAINS POWER THROUGH THE CONTROLLER DOWN THE CABLE INTO THE TRACKS. MUTHA ****** while the newer ones rely on stupid batteries

but the new ones have the advantage of being individually controllable over radio or something (?) while I think the old ones basically all went at the same speed depending on what was coming through the tracks. You could still isolate separate parts of track from each other to run different segments at different speeds though, but that's still not as good - that's what the guy in that video did; he's cheating and runs the 3 trains each on different loops of track, and while you can see the loops are connected by switches/points he says in the comments that he modified them to isolate the electric circuits. Or I guess in theory it shouldn't be that hard to hack in a custom radio controller thing so each train can be controlled separately (and on more than just 3 stupid channels like the OTS battery one) while still drawing power from the tracks. Though batteries aren't as shit as they used to be and have their own advantages idk

because really, if you're not doing it properly by having sensors reading the location of each train and feeding it to a "server" (probs just a r-pi) that individually controls each separate train and each set of points, then why even bother I mean seriously
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
also I hate to be all "some people have too much time on their hands" because that's a really fucked up attitude that basically implies that people should never do creative things they enjoy because everyone should be slaving away down the coal mines nonstop, but jfc the attention to detail in this fucking video

Media Player

also lol maybe that's not a good job to have a bring your idiot kid to work day
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
^ sections are old hat. Moving block with GPS / dead reckoning is where it's at now.

The coding is fundamentally not that hard but because people dying on rail accidents is bad press the SIL level is through the roof.

With a GPS-like indoor transceiver accurate to a high enough level, a simple tacho you could get a modern ERTMS ATO functioning railway in a few months I reckon. The hard bit will be getting the gear retrofitted on a model train, but I'm sure there's gricers out there who've done it.

WiFi would be a closer resemblance and would make controlling points easier, trains would need to carry them as well, but the trainborne controls are simple enough.

This could be done. Reasonably easily..... I probably don't have the skills to code it, but the rest is simple enough.

Last edited by Bracko: 01-May-16 at 01:58pm

Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Think I have a set with lights/switches etc in storage at the rents somewhere, wonder if it would be worth anything?

Old Lego sets are worth a shedload if clean and all pieces and instructions are together.

Check out http://www.bricklink.com/ to get an idea of value.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Found out yesterday my building now has FTTB NBN. Switchover from naked adsl2 to 50/20 vdsl2 in progress

currently trying to convince the mrs to let me get a dsl-ac68u instead of wasting ~$150 on a cheap modem that does vdsl2 + bridges
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
Noiice.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
yeah bracko i meant sections only as a shitty compromise way of controlling multiple lego trains with the old power-over-rails method, since the way they were speed controlled was just to adjust the amount of power sent through the tracks which isn't that great if you have multiple trains on the same track. using either the battery trains out of the box (limited to only 3 channels though) or powered track at constant power with a wifi control hack in each train would obviously be better

agreed signal blocks are old & dumb; i remember like years ago lolling at the fact that train networks here still use them when gps could make things more efficient (especially since one of the most common reasons given for passenger train delays in brisbane is "signal fault" lol) but some ITMer (thought it might have been you but it was probably quantum8 ) at the time was like "yeah never gonna happen tho"

for lego i was thinking you'd really want to use ibeacons instead though?? even outdoors, gps wouldn't be as good at lego scale. i guess it depends on what kind of microcontrollers & sensors you have available and how they work within the power & size requirements etc; i already mentioned wifi for the management system but iBeacons are bluetooth LE - it'd probably be easy enough to have it use one and not both of those if you really needed to i guess
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
yo someone give me $10k so i can make this happen tia
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

yeah bracko i meant sections only as a shitty compromise way of controlling multiple lego trains with the old power-over-rails method, since the way they were speed controlled was just to adjust the amount of power sent through the tracks which isn't that great if you have multiple trains on the same track. using either the battery trains out of the box (limited to only 3 channels though) or powered track at constant power with a wifi control hack in each train would obviously be better

agreed signal blocks are old & dumb; i remember like years ago lolling at the fact that train networks here still use them when gps could make things more efficient (especially since one of the most common reasons given for passenger train delays in brisbane is "signal fault" lol) but some ITMer (thought it might have been you but it was probably quantum8 ) at the time was like "yeah never gonna happen tho"

for lego i was thinking you'd really want to use ibeacons instead though?? even outdoors, gps wouldn't be as good at lego scale. i guess it depends on what kind of microcontrollers & sensors you have available and how they work within the power & size requirements etc; i already mentioned wifi for the management system but iBeacons are bluetooth LE - it'd probably be easy enough to have it use one and not both of those if you really needed to i guess

At lego scale to control trains by gps you'd need to send a lego scale earth up into space, then have lego scale gps satellites orbiting said lego earth and being held in place by a lego earth scaled gravitational pull, which would then only really be possible with a lego scaled solar system.

All up to make that happen, it's going to be a lot of lego.
Bye now!
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
You could make your own IPS https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indoor_positioning_system
Gruso +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

At lego scale to control trains by gps you'd need to send a lego scale earth up into space, then have lego scale gps satellites orbiting said lego earth and being held in place by a lego earth scaled gravitational pull, which would then only really be possible with a lego scaled solar system.

Don't let your dreams be dreams.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

nah if you had a big farm with plenty of room and a fuckload of lego track it'd totes be feasible lol

i guess even then it'd be more like a block-based thing though, and you'd want plenty of room between points
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comm..._train_control

This is what the network I'm working on in Bangkok uses. Along with automatic train control.

I said GPS-esc positioning system. GPS units are actually the back up on this network as it can't be relied on. What is used is a heap of passive RFID tags and using the very accurate tachometer.

You can also use a leaky cable and receiver to better know the train location and close the gap between trains.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<
https://www.instagram.com/p/BE55Hm2Bqus/
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
<
that seems about right
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts
Also relevant:

If you don't read extrafabulous, you should.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
Extra fab is great.

This is pretty interesting. Talks about the ancient Compaq laptops from the 90's they use to service McLaren F1s and why:
http://jalopnik.com/this-ancient-lap...abl-1773662267

Look at that thing! 3½" flooopy.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Not reading but prob coz they designed some shitty dos software and are too tight to upgrade it and it only works with true serial ports & shit. Typical story from everyone.

[ed] and just read it and i was right. You wouldn't believe how many companies still run native dos apps on ancient hardware.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Lots of factories interface to CNC mills and such with old DOS hardware. If it ain't broke, etc. But like the article says, they do break, and it's a PITA to repair them. (On the project I'm on we're spending squillions on new PLCs for that reason. They have been getting their spares from ebay for a while now.)

Sounds like McLaren's DOS dependency is basically down to a hardware dongle. Fucking DRM!
eona +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,076 Times in 645 Posts
Drm Is On Cars Now? Fucking Gaben!
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
working from the other office vpn is seriously messing with us. it is literally like working on a system wide dial-up service.
everything jerks and lags something chronic.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Still? Crikey.

ps. Sounds like that slowness is due to VNC/RDP, not VPN. And yeah it sucks.
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
i don't know anything about vpn stuff. all i know is that we're not alowed to use our computer desktop and have to connect to the other office via vpn and its dial-up slow.

we told the boss' right hand man yesterday and all he does is shrug his shoulders and say we just have to deal with it. and that its not slow for him and he's connected via vpn.

what is this VCN/RDP you speak of?

also, looks liek we will never be getting our client data back. the IT they use can't decrypt the data and the boss is not open to other ideas from anyone else.
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

what is this VCN/RDP you speak of?

VPN = Virtual Private Network. It lets you connect to an external network as though you were a local part of it, so good for accessing files on a server etc.

VNC & RDP are methods for logging into/controlling PCs remotely - if you're not using your local windows desktop to work then this will be what you're using. Most likely RDP as it's native to windows.

Quote:

also, looks liek we will never be getting our client data back. the IT they use can't decrypt the data and the boss is not open to other ideas from anyone else.

not really anything else you can do except for pay the ransom & hope they got the private key right if they even send it to you.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Happy $315 dollar'e'doo day to all of you earning $87,000 and above.
RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by eona View Post

Drm Is On Cars Now? Fucking Gaben!

yeah

sounds like this thing isn't really a DRM issue as such though, seems to be more about just hardware compatibility. there's every possibility it's a bit of both, but afaik the early 90s clownshow of everything using its own bespoke connector and protocols was more to do with a lack of established standards and general laziness than vendor lockin
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
The article is pretty vague on the CA Card, but assuming this comment is correct:

Quote:

Conditional Access - basically a “dongle” card that responds to a security challenge with an appropriate response. Lots of different systems in place (Satellite and Cable Boxes use modern versions of these), but the basic idea is that it can respond with an appropriate pseudo-random code value, or even a set of carefully output “random” analog voltages (for the really old ones).

In this case, the Factory DOS software, Car’s ECU, and Laptop are all part of an integrated system that will only let the software talk to the car’s ECU IF that CA card is present and provides the correct response. It’s hardware-based copy protection for the very important factory ECU software.

These days CA for industrial software is typically handled with a USB key; look on the side of a CNC mill, Autocad box, or similar engineering system and you may see a variety of colored USB “thumb drives” sticking out. They’re all dongles that enable various bits of software. If your license expires, the software stops working, and after you pay the company will FedEx you a new dongle.

Gruso +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

Pay review meeting in an hour. Boss just emailed and basically spelled out all the reasons I'll get nothing - but hey, feel free to come in and talk about it anyway!

Oh, I will. Hold my beer.

Quote:

It went pretty well. No deal done yet, but I think he's on board. I don't think I'll get the 30% I asked for (lol) but you gotta aim high.

Boss being boss, doesn't give anyone more money unless he can charge the client more. He put in a rate increase proposal last week, which has been knocked back (I mean, it's a mining company in the midst of mass layoffs... what did he think the answer would be?)

Now I have to convince him to eat into his precious margin. Hard mode activated.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Amazing how much difference a modem makes. I know different speedtest servers, but look at that upload difference

7800N

DSL-AC68U

Last edited by NismoR31: 04-May-16 at 06:38pm

RunningWithScissors +

COMMUNIST PARTY OF ITM

Times thanked
<

Quote:

The article is pretty vague on the CA Card, but assuming this comment is correct:

wellllllllllllllllllllp

i knew drm dongles are a thing, both today & in that era, but never realised they were that big a deal in engineering. makes "sense" though

e: also it makes the fact that they're still locked in 25 years later less stupid (easier to fix if it was just connectors & protocols) but somehow more funny
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
On the drive home from work last night.

Chinese guy walks out in front of me. Doesn't look, gives me the usual Chinese sorry sorry thing (dude, I don't give a fuck. You will be sorry when you get hit). On phone.

Guy in front of me at lights edges out though red light just about into the traffic. His dash cam would have got a real good view of it. Then stays immobile when it goes green until I hit the horn. On phone.

Car in front of me pulls up to red light, changes lane 4 times in last ten metres. Then doesn't go on green until I hit the horn. On phone.

The fucking fuck?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Cops too busy booking freeloader cyclists for laws that don't exist yet to worry about law breaking rate payers.
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

Cops too busy booking freeloader cyclists for laws that don't exist yet to worry about law breaking rate payers.

Considering the number of asshole cyclists who go whizzing past me close enough to brush the hairs on my arm or the ones who don't dismount through a construction zone where it's wide enough for one person in each direction or the ones who constantly ignore the "Give Way" signs at the end of a bike lane and cut in front of me, I've got no problem with cops cracking down on them. Especially since this all happens in an area where there a bunch of small kids walking to and from school.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Typically Sydney attitude. Each wanker cyclist still represents a car off the road and for every dangerous cyclist there are 20x dangerous drivers.

Also aiming the discussion at the lowest common denominator isn't really the point, innit.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko View Post

Typically Sydney attitude. Each wanker cyclist still represents a car off the road and for every dangerous cyclist there are 20x dangerous drivers.

Also aiming the discussion at the lowest common denominator isn't really the point, innit.

Have you spent any time in Sydney lately? It's also typically not the cyclists who drive cars like a psycho either so your argument is a bit shallow

« Previous Thread Next Thread »