Gaming, Computers, Phones, and Gadgets

GCP&G chat: One for the road

Tools
Derelict +

Derpcore gets the derpy dollars

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,918 Times in 3,420 Posts
OK, I trust you friends. Time to take the plunge.
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,692 Times in 1,038 Posts
You'll be fine. Is pretty quick and painless (except in those few situations where it isn't)
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
a bit like waxing, then?
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
Vote Quimby +

Mr Canada

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,337 Times in 1,208 Posts
you're probably the only one of us here who know what waxing is like.
Derelict +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

a bit like waxing, then?

Or sex.
i am an alias +

fuzzbow

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,898 Times in 1,105 Posts
good one derpy!
at the centre of life
left of the path
always right
and never looking back
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,843 Times in 721 Posts
Anyone able to explain this quickly..

Copying files between two older PCs (a win7 install hdd and win10 install ssd boot drive), done by usb3 dock on my own win10 desktop for conveniences sake.

Anyway, copied everything to a new folder in the root of the win10's C drive, after copying everything looked fine on my end, 250gb ssd and had around 40gb space left.. Put the win10 ssd back in the old pc running Win10, all the files seem to have vanished - showing nothing/space used back to 190gb/pre-copying.

Have a feeling it's a permission issue, but I put the ssd back in the dock and it's showing nothing.

Any ideas what's going on here? I was assuming it was just some permission glitch, but the fact it's not showing the space as used or showing up on the PC I copied on has me confused?

ps sorry for posting here btw - but Friday peeps seem to mostly ignore the other threads, was hoping to have this shit sort by Monday =/
Bye now!

Last edited by Dr Rudi: 15-Jan-16 at 03:02pm

Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
^nvm, seems to be showing as deleted with recovery software using a strong deep scan, must be some kind of new fangled win10 system protection feature/make shit harder than it really needs to be feature. (I guess drive encryption perhaps? - although thought that was only on win10pro not home?)

Guess I'll put old win7 drive as slave to the newold win10 pc the next chance I get.
Bye now!
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 10,810 Times in 4,660 Posts
I've experienced that too - was trying to copy data back to a win 10 drive. Put drive in my pc, copied (shitloads of) data over. all fine. Put drive back in machine & it's not there WHAT THE FUCK. Repeated that a couple of times to many frustration.

My only solution which was more a workaround was to copy it over via the network while both machines were running, and iirc i had to initiate the copy FROM the target machine, though that may have just been more out of convenience for me since i had shares set up on my pc already.

Definitely some kind of funny business win10 is doing.
Derelict +

Times thanked
<
Seems nice so far. The start bar being a solid black bar is a bit weird on the eyes.
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict View Post

Seems nice so far. The start bar being a solid black bar is a bit weird on the eyes.

It should be partially transparent or at least you can set it to be. don't remember
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephalapod chewing legend

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,340 Times in 1,508 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vote Quimby View Post

you're probably the only one of us here who know what waxing is like.

It hurts.

You make your own fun in Wagga.
Everyone knows your snorkeling is just a cover for transition to Aqua Aerobics.
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
IT'S FRIDAY!!!

Media Player
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 20,931 Times in 6,226 Posts
what the fuck

drinking intensifies
Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 525 Posts
Hey so for a laugh, if you can stand the fucking smugness of it.

Scott Adams, the guy behind Dilbert, reckons Trump is going to steamroll the election.

He reckons there's a '98%' chance of him winning the general election.

This is because Trump is a 'Master Wizard' (he's since changed the name to 'Master Persuader') and thinks that everyone is totally convinced as much as he is that Trump isn't a 'Lucky Hitler' but all of this chicanery is a plan to make everyone feel good and vote for him.

The comments are insane.

http://blog.dilbert.com/
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

I've experienced that too - was trying to copy data back to a win 10 drive. Put drive in my pc, copied (shitloads of) data over. all fine. Put drive back in machine & it's not there WHAT THE FUCK. Repeated that a couple of times to many frustration.

My only solution which was more a workaround was to copy it over via the network while both machines were running, and iirc i had to initiate the copy FROM the target machine, though that may have just been more out of convenience for me since i had shares set up on my pc already.

Definitely some kind of funny business win10 is doing.

Initiating from the target PC as you've said definitely sounds like the go. Would normally have done it over network, but the old e4500 C2Ds win7 PCs terrible network performance combined with motherboard taking issue with more than 2gb ram and being pig slow is the whole reason for transferring to this comparatively better specced out system (C2D e7300/8gb/win10/new 250gb SSD).

Only real bummer here is no USB3, can't simply add a card either with 2 pcie slots in use (gpu and GigE on the 1x) - afaik old school pci don't cut it for USB3. Onboard ethernet doesn't seem to like Win10, let alone if the chipset even supports GigE!
Bye now!
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
also, had a lol today at "relevance" in first ep of new season Workaholics..

Guy from another branch shows up

*Aussie accent
*wacky corporate attire
*beard
*bluetooth headset
*Drives Porsche

Spoiler:
Bye now!
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
Holy shit, what the fuck was that?
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

Initiating from the target PC as you've said definitely sounds like the go. Would normally have done it over network, but the old e4500 C2Ds win7 PCs terrible network performance combined with motherboard taking issue with more than 2gb ram and being pig slow is the whole reason for transferring to this comparatively better specced out system (C2D e7300/8gb/win10/new 250gb SSD).

Only real bummer here is no USB3, can't simply add a card either with 2 pcie slots in use (gpu and GigE on the 1x) - afaik old school pci don't cut it for USB3. Onboard ethernet doesn't seem to like Win10, let alone if the chipset even supports GigE!

putting win7 drive in w10 machine would prob work too. as long as target w10 is running it'll have a good time with security imo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dr Rudi View Post

also, had a lol today at "relevance" in first ep of new season Workaholics..

Guy from another branch shows up

*Aussie accent
*wacky corporate attire
*beard
*bluetooth headset
*Drives Porsche

Spoiler:

some kind of angry moderator.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Speaking of Workaholics - stumbled across the effort that went into making the "jello" trip scene from one of the older eps..

Spoiler:

..so much work for a 10 second piece!

http://workaholicbts.tumblr.com/post...h-of-jello-for

Spoiler:

Quote:

You guys…. we had like $400 worth of Jello for Alice’s trip scene. This was all the leftovers we had when we were done shooting. I had asked the art department if I could have two of them, and I pegged two of my PA’s against eachother to see who could eat the most. I took bets from the crew, and we actually put together a pot of nearly $300 for the winner…. But unfortunately, the Art Department thought I was joking and threw it all away. It was one of the saddest days on record ever.

Bye now!
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<
Thanked 17,049 Times in 7,537 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fangoriously View Post

Hey so for a laugh, if you can stand the fucking smugness of it.

Scott Adams, the guy behind Dilbert, reckons Trump is going to steamroll the election.

He reckons there's a '98%' chance of him winning the general election.

This is because Trump is a 'Master Wizard' (he's since changed the name to 'Master Persuader') and thinks that everyone is totally convinced as much as he is that Trump isn't a 'Lucky Hitler' but all of this chicanery is a plan to make everyone feel good and vote for him.

The comments are insane.

http://blog.dilbert.com/

http://mradilbert.tumblr.com/

Scott Adams is a bit of a dick.

Last edited by big eddie: 16-Jan-16 at 02:55pm

nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
Oh wow. Someone's been locked up inside a grey walled cubicle for just a little too long...

In better knews the trump dancers and chemical brothers are quite a good match
http://www.youtubemultiplier.com/569...om-dancers.php (mute the left)
Gruso +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

http://mradilbert.tumblr.com/

Scott Adams is a bit of a dick.

He may well be, but I'm not taking the word of something with MRA in the name. Textbook tumblr whale right there.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gruso View Post

He may well be, but I'm not taking the word of something with MRA in the name. Textbook tumblr whale right there.

I spend plenty of time hanging shit on SJWs, but that particular tumblr is very clever. They are just using things that Scott Adams has written on his blog over dilbert comics.

e.g "The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It’s just easier this way for everyone. You don’t argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn’t eat candy for dinner. You don’t punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don’t argue when a women tells you she’s only making 80 cents to your dollar. It’s the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles" - Scott Adams http://blog.dilbert.com/post/102881506316/im-a-what

Last edited by big eddie: 16-Jan-16 at 03:55pm

Fangoriously +

Fusion Aerodynamical Science

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,209 Times in 525 Posts
And it just gets worse from there, TBH.

Guy is a massive dick - it's weird to see the sycophantic adoration he gets as well.
Aerodynamical Fusion Science Terminal Velocitising Scientician Experimentalising
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,401 Times in 2,390 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie View Post

e.g "The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It’s just easier this way for everyone. You don’t argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn’t eat candy for dinner. You don’t punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don’t argue when a women tells you she’s only making 80 cents to your dollar. It’s the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles" - Scott Adams http://blog.dilbert.com/post/102881506316/im-a-what

jesus. that reads like something i'd write. what an asshole.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQgd6MccwZc
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
<
btw, i just read that link. whyd you quote that bit but not the bit before it which i feel completely changes the context of that quote from trolling women to trolling men?

Quote:

Now I would like to speak directly to my male readers who feel unjustly treated by the widespread suppression of men’s rights:

Get over it, you bunch of pussies.

The reality is that women are treated differently by society for exactly the same reason that children and the mentally handicapped are treated differently. It’s just easier this way for everyone. You don’t argue with a four-year old about why he shouldn’t eat candy for dinner. You don’t punch a mentally handicapped guy even if he punches you first. And you don’t argue when a women tells you she’s only making 80 cents to your dollar. It’s the path of least resistance. You save your energy for more important battles.

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Yeah the cherry picking is what bothers me about the tumblr thing. The guy does sound like a douche (he's definitely sexist; I think misogynistic is a stretch), but his posts in their entirety present some interesting ideas about 'murican politics and groupthink. Not that I'll be subscribing or anything.

S'pose what grinds my gears is the SJW/Fem/MRA/GG circus that pervades so much of the online narrative these days. High profile person touching on the topic of gender? It's on like donkey kong. No middle ground. Objectivity and reason lie bleeding in the corner.

I'm just on the internet to ride my motorcycle.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,883 Times in 868 Posts
And keep giving me money on patreon.

Your outrage pays my bills.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

(oh and before you say anything, its impossible for marginalised people to be fuckwits to other people).

Fucking this.
TRZA +

its party time, chumps!

Times thanked
<
everyones a fucking victim. noones responsible for anything. its not my fault. its yours. oh btw, i'd never tell that to your face. i'm just going to get my other similarly marginalised/victimised friends together on the internet and bitch about you. (oh and before you say anything, its impossible for marginalised people to be fuckwits to other people).

even when their complaints seem justified, it seems like division is the goal. not resolution. shits changed. being a victim is a respectable self identity for the kids. and i thought hipsters were bad. fuck, i remember when i was young, i just wanted to be black because it was cool. now white kids want to be black for the social justice hashtags.
Rocca +

Query: Do you feel lucky, meatbag?

Times thanked
<
hey i think a couple of you guys have windows phones right? i've got a lumia 640 and this evening the facebook app started to crash whenever i try to open it. it was working fine earlier. any ideas? i don't think there's been any updates or anything.
Fresh new trance mix, embrace the madness!

https://soundcloud.com/philby/philli...ness-july-2015

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
The 640 is quite unstable compared to my 925 I previously had (still have but the power button is flaky) I've personally not had issues with FB but I'm not surprised.

I'm assuming you have deleted and reinstalled a few times? Do you have a micro SD installed?
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

everyones a fucking victim. noones responsible for anything. its not my fault. its yours. oh btw, i'd never tell that to your face. i'm just going to get my other similarly marginalised/victimised friends together on the internet and bitch about you. (oh and before you say anything, its impossible for marginalised people to be fuckwits to other people).

even when their complaints seem justified, it seems like division is the goal. not resolution. shits changed. being a victim is a respectable self identity for the kids. and i thought hipsters were bad. fuck, i remember when i was young, i just wanted to be black because it was cool. now white kids want to be black for the social justice hashtags.

In the oppression olympics, no one wins.
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

btw, i just read that link. whyd you quote that bit but not the bit before it which i feel completely changes the context of that quote from trolling women to trolling men?

I could have quoted the whole bit, but added the link instead.

It's the complete lack of self-awareness, calling the MRA's pussies because they should instead treat women as they were children in a strop or the handicapped.

It reads like a script for Douglas in the IT Crowd.

Media Player

The rest of his stuff about women, money and power would be a general amusing collection of confirmation and survivorship biases from a short dude who's in to hypnosis, but he also wrote dilbert so he has an audience.
Derelict +

Times thanked
<
Ordered a cd & tshirt back in November. It never came. The seller reckons it was sent. Ugh! I never even received a confirmation email, and there was supposed to be a download code included as well. I guess I should do a paypal dispute...
Music is the best drug.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningWithScissors View Post

PM derelict for manual labour shit

Gruso +

Times thanked
<
Yesterday I dusted the Arduinos off to see if I could control the brightness of a laptop backlight (via shell commands sent back over serial). Ended the day with the backlight doofing in time with the Arduino's blinkenlight. I was pretty happy.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Hey hey hey, finally found a computer at work that has a browser that works, things are looking up.

Only connects to Facebook.

The last dude on here has logged in as some chick who apparently wears very little. History shows facebook searches for tits, porn and sex.

This is why we can't have nice things.
Gruso +

Times thanked
<
I have so many questions about that discovery.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
Searches for one night stands, Melbourne hook ups, easy hotties, sexy vines

Google search for xxnx.

Reckon the chicks profile he has logged in as is legit, he's stalking her.

Can tell which guy it is, he's been searching for stuff for his car.

Already knew he was a lazy dumb fuck. Guess this just confirms it.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,819 Posts
Sounds like a classy bloke.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

Bracko +

Times thanked
<
An ex-employee of ours thought it was completely reasonable to hire hookers and go on dating sites on his work laptop. so much so that when his computer got infected he thought it was a joke and boasted about it.

this was in China mind you.
step on my cubes.
midian +

'yeah, nah, go f**k yourself, I am the King of the Mods and I am the Decider. There can be only One. And.... go f**k yourself.'

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,801 Times in 1,123 Posts
An ex-employee of ours thought it was completely reasonable to buy an $8,000 engagement ring using their company credit card. For someone they'd met on Tinder. Six weeks previously. And was completely shocked when the words gross misconduct were used to let them go. Only two months after they'd started here.

Some people.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<
We were told we weren't allowed to punch customers. After an employee punched a customer.

He wasn't sacked for it.
Hey hey, you can change this shit again. Only a couple of years late.
silverspoon +

new and improved!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah View Post

Sounds like a classy bloke.

Yeah, He's married with a kid.
Hey hey, you can change this shit again. Only a couple of years late.
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by midian View Post

An ex-employee of ours thought it was completely reasonable to buy an $8,000 engagement ring using their company credit card. For someone they'd met on Tinder. Six weeks previously. And was completely shocked when the words gross misconduct were used to let them go. Only two months after they'd started here.

Some people.

To be fair, trusting an employee of only two months with a >$8k limit company CC is kind of stupid.
Bye now!
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
standard corporate CC given to all employees.

My card was already delivered and activated a week before I started my current job.
step on my cubes.

Last edited by Bracko: 18-Jan-16 at 08:42pm

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
<
Mr Robot. Watch it all of you.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4158110/
Dr Rudi +

Howzit!

Times thanked
<
Be very afraid..

http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...90&postcount=8

ps. you've only discovered mid 2015s most hyped about show now? This parenting thing is getting you behind the times mate!
Bye now!
nrjize +

licking dates

Times thanked
<
While I love your enthusiasm Nismo I'm pretty sure everyone in here watched that last year when it was on

« Previous Thread Next Thread »