The Music Studio

Tontine Acoustisorb 3

Tools
timothyallan +

Dance Music SuperProducer

Times thanked
<
Tontine Acoustisorb 3
I need some Tontine Acoustisorb 3 Insulation for my new studio in the house I just bought.

Talk to me!!

Anyone know a vendor in Vic?
Beatport | Timothyallan.com | Twitter | Mixing/Mastering/Tutoring |
EDM Video Tutorials
Jude May +

ohhh yes, me please!

Times thanked
<
seriously that shit blows.

your much better off buying the hard core rock wool (i used to sell both products) the rock wool always sold better by a 6:1 ratio.

that and its far denser, waaaaaaa better bass abosrption
My SoundCloud
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
timothyallan +

Times thanked
<
Are you talking specifically about the exact make I'm looking for? Have you looked at the specs for Acoustisorb 3? It's just as good, if not better, then the 50mm OC 705 equivalents.

.46 at 125hz and .78 at 250hz is pretty good.

http://www.soundblock.com.au/pdf/acoustisorb_3_data.pdf

I agree that their other stuff is poor as far as treatment goes.
EDM Video Tutorials
Jude May +

ohhh yes, me please!

Times thanked
<
not sure if it is exactle the same stuff as i used to sell, but i know 75mm rockwool is blood good for bass and mid.... as a matter of fact i have a truck load im looking at getting rid of for a stupidly cheap price. im talking half the price of the tontine stuff
My SoundCloud
No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
It all depends upon the density, and the thickness.
I'm about to build absorption panels and I did look at tontine acoustisorb (as it was hard to find rockwool for good prices) - since found good density rockwool at a fair price.

Anyway - the best price I found for the acoustisorb was here:
http://www.insulationsuperstore.com/...art/Itemid,64/

The company that i'm likely to go with for my rockwool, though, is fminsulation.com.au - a touch cheaper for me and also higher density. I'll be building a different product though, as that's defined in part by the size of the sheets, and also by the density difference (60kg/m3 rockwool vs 48kg/m3 tontine). My corner traps are now going to only be 60cm wide, rather than the 80cm i'd planned with the tontine, and they're not going to be quite as thick)

Obvious plusses for the tontine are the fact that you don't need to wear protective gear when handling it and don't have formaldehyde as a possible poison.

Also, OC705 isn't all it's cracked up to be - the money range is between 40kg/m3 and 80kg/m3 - much denser and you start reflecting a little bit.
Also, absorption of bass frequencies happens much more when you have thicker units (100-150mm is the most cost efficient here) and when placed over a corner.
timothyallan +

Times thanked
<
I have all my corners trapped currently using 100+mm 705 equivalent and it works pretty well. My new room has some wacky corners so I can't re-use the traps like I currently am. They also still get a bit stinky whenever it really, really rains out...

I didn't look much into rockwool, maybe I should... but honestly from comparing specs, the Tontine is measuring up as far as the sound absorption coefficients compared to the rockwool (fminsulations S80 and S100 are really low end absorbant, but I'm guessing is 80mm and 100mm, not 50mm like tontines measurement) . It's too bad those fminsulation guys stopped at 250hz in their measurements!
EDM Video Tutorials
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
<
hey i just made some bass traps last weekend
i used 75mm rockwool to make 3 panels 1350h by 430w by 150 thick. they run the full width of my room up where the wall and ceiling meet, spaced 100mm off the wall.
i was trying to find the really stiff stuff but couldnt [i think they use it to line a/c ducting].
The stuff i got was called CSR Bradford Soundscreen. Worked out pretty easy, think i'll make a few more
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<
soundscreen's only 32kg/m3 as far as i know - which is OK, but not much good for frequencies under 125Hz.

Either way , treatment's going to make a massive difference to the sound of your room.

Oh, just to let you know -the FM guys said 12 sheets of S60, delivered to my house is $233 - i assume it'd be more to Melbourne, but still pretty affordable.

EDIT:
My big question for you guys is how do you go about spacing them off the walls (absorption is far more effective when more sound can be reflected off a wall into the absorber panel - thus with a 2" absorber having 2 inches of wall space behind it.
Surely normal frames and picture hooks don't allow for that kind of shift off the wall?
Do you just extend the four conrners an extra 2-4" off the wall so they have feet that sit on the wall, rather than the whole frame?

What've you got to sell Jude? I'm looking to buy in the next week...

Last edited by ferretrock: 14-Aug-08 at 10:29pm

lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
<
^yeah, thats why i went for 150 thick panels, hoping to compensate for low density. My other option was to squash it down, but i couldnt work out how to do that effectively.
I have a broadband absorber made out of pegboard [masonite with holes]. Its got a 70mm pine frame behind it which is full of rockwool. The whole thing is spaced 100mm off the wall with metal brackets bolted to the conrete wall. My bass traps sit up above this, so they are 100mm of the wall too.
studio stuff for sale
http://www.inthemix.com.au/forum/sho...#post394820375

...latest releases...

lowkey+nude "NYC to BER" on "The best of Soul Shift vol.1"

Last edited by lowkeyandnude: 15-Aug-08 at 01:13pm

timothyallan +

Times thanked
<
I'm just about ready to order methinks. I'm now deciding whether or not to make triangle-type superchunk traps in my corners... my brain hurts with all these calculations I've been doing!!
EDM Video Tutorials
DSILVR +

Times thanked
<
Fuck Tim, haven't spoke to you in agers

New house, congrats mate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by weapon

These days, whenever I'm balls deep, I can't help thinking "I cant wait to tell my buddies on ITM"

nightshiver +

Times thanked
<
Selling 2 full sheets of Acoustisorb 3
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/-/301839169468?
timothyallan +

Times thanked
<
Awesome, I'm sure everyone in 2008 thanks you!
EDM Video Tutorials

« Previous Thread Next Thread »