scorpius +

Five Foot Wonder

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dbauch

I got so many books for my birthday!!

woo hoo - just started reading Life of Pi will let you knwo how it goes

I loved it. Also really enjoyed another book of Yann Martel's - Self.

Just finished Middlesex, has anyone read this? I thought it was well-written, really genuine, but I think I was expecting to be spoon fed the events that happen between the present and past-narrative.

Just starting the Motorcycle Diaries... you wonder how much is lost in translation, it would be nice to one day read the original Spanish version although for all the authenticity, I'd probably miss the really important bits.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
fark optimus...i thought you walked round the streets with your eyes open! :p

you've not seen the ridiculously baggy clothes on kidz with the dada logo?

sheesh!
I read the news today, oh boy
Optimus Rhyme +

The Black Barry White

Times thanked
< 127
lol... can't say I have...

I didn't know little homey kids knew about art
"You a Happy Meal nigga with a toy in the box,
I clap the steel, nigga, put ya boy in a box."
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
that's the point, i don't think they realise what the clothes they're wearing means...which i 'spose is quite dada-ish in itself :tripping:

fuck che guevara, let's see andre breton's head on a t-shirt
Optimus Rhyme +

The Black Barry White

Times thanked
< 127

Quote:

Originally Posted by SPOKEYDOKEY

that's the point, i don't think they realise what the clothes they're wearing means...which i 'spose is quite dada-ish in itself :tripping:

indeed, shit I'll have to keep my eyes open then for these kids so that I may unleash a ferocious diatribe upon their punk asses
"You a Happy Meal nigga with a toy in the box,
I clap the steel, nigga, put ya boy in a box."
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
be sure not to mispronounce any important words...it's a playground out there
innA +

Times thanked
< 0
we could always print t-shirts with marcel duchamp's toilet on it..
I should get coffee. Coffee would help me think. But I should write something first, then reward myself with coffee. Coffee and a muffin. Ok, so I need to establish the themes. Maybe banana-nut.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
i'd wear it...but then there are folk out there who think i'm not normal
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

i'd wear it...but then there are folk out there who think i'm not normal

huh?

:tripping:

for real?

i take photos
Sauce +

Cosby Kid

Times thanked
< 0
innA, your avatar is sweet
.....i'm in the lab all day, scrabble all night, i've got a bedazzler so my outfit's tight...
innA +

Times thanked
< 0
:blush:

spokey - im about half way through Don Delillo's 'White Noise' - awesome so far.. probably the most perceptive writer ive ever read. he takes every day life and describes it ways that make so much sense, yet you would never realise it yourself. its kind of half philosophy, but it doesnt get itself bogged down.
I should get coffee. Coffee would help me think. But I should write something first, then reward myself with coffee. Coffee and a muffin. Ok, so I need to establish the themes. Maybe banana-nut.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
hmmmm, cheers for that inna, i'll check him out when i can
Sauce +

Cosby Kid

Times thanked
< 0
any book by PJ O'Rourke is worth it's weight in gold...check em out for real
.....i'm in the lab all day, scrabble all night, i've got a bedazzler so my outfit's tight...
turkman +

What is this **** of a facelift itm has had?

Times thanked
< 1,419
Im reading Lies and the Lying Liars Who Tell Them by Al Franken. This guy is a genius and very funny at the same time. You cant lose!

This book is for those that hate the right-wing in America and love reading all the dirty shit that they do.

All about american politics with many references to politicians ive never heard of but that doesnt matter. Al rips into all of them and does it in a hell funny way. Highly recommended!

Check it out here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mashedman

if you stroke your chin hard enough i heard a genie comes out and gives you 3 track ids

SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sauce

any book by PJ O'Rourke is worth it's weight in gold...check em out for real

you do realise, what with books being not all that heavy, that this doesn't amount to all that much?

:p

but agreed, O'Rourke is one funny fucker and gives a good look at many parts of the world you may not otherwise have a chance to laugh at...i mean, learn about
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,500
Just read that Turkman. The funniest shit is how he always craps on about his corporate gigs. Funny stuff. And I love how he carves up that O'Reilly fuckwit.

Al Franken is a champ.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,500
Oh and I've just about finished Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos. Fucking hilarious. It's kind of absurd but in a humanistic sense. Fairly simple prose as well which is always good if you have just read some wordy, intellectual, do-your-head-in, kinda stuff.
hunter +

beat me daddy

Times thanked
< 1
steven levy - hackers

nothing to do with the shit-arse movie of the same name except that it's about computers...

from the MIT model railroad club, to captain crunch, mittnick, jobs & wozniak - it's the best fucking book i've ever read about computers and the people who made it all happen.

makes me want to kneel beside my bed and pray each night.

"Hands On Imperative: Access to computers and anything which might teach us something about how the world works, should be complete and total...Mistrust authority! Promote decentralisation!"
Buy the ticket, take the ride.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
i've mentioned before hunter, tom wolfe's 'hooking up', it looks at how the internet came to be, on a physical and philosophical sense
NismoR31 +

stupid status

Times thanked
< 7,853
it's been a while since i posted in this thread.. i'm now up to book 8 of the wheel of time series and still loving it
hunter +

beat me daddy

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

i've mentioned before hunter, tom wolfe's 'hooking up', it looks at how the internet came to be, on a physical and philosophical sense

aye i heard that then and hear it now

not interested in the 'internet'.

interested in the technology. interested in the people.

cheers.
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
the internet relies on technology...such as computers, which began on semi-conductors...intel are one of the first companies to start research and development into semi-conductors...for more information, get the book, it tells you about the people who made the technology, who made the internet available

if i didn't think it were worth suggesting i wouldn't have bothered
bricktop712 +

-------------------ڜ

Times thanked
< 8
Reading 'Scar Tissue' the memoir of Chilli Peppers rocker Anthony Kiedis

This guy's a bit of a nutter. Great read so far.

Plankton +

Times thanked
< 8
A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

He is such a genius.
Its all about space time and how it all relates to us on earth, time travel, and the size of the universe and such. Its not heaps easy but considering its such a complicated matter, he (like most genius's can) writes in such a manner that you dont have to have a PH D in astrophysics to understand it.

Really interesting. Not really a beach read.
hunter +

beat me daddy

Times thanked
< 1
*hands you a bandaid*

get that cut seen to.

thanks for the suggestion. didn't say it wasn't appreciated.

cheer up.

Quote:

the internet relies on technology...such as computers, which began on semi-conductors...intel are one of the first companies to start research and development into semi-conductors...for more information, get the book, it tells you about the people who made the technology, who made the internet available

if i didn't think it were worth suggesting i wouldn't have bothered

SpaceMonkey +

FOREVER DOLAN

Times thanked
< 6,011

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plankton

A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.

He is such a genius.
Its all about space time and how it all relates to us on earth, time travel, and the size of the universe and such. Its not heaps easy but considering its such a complicated matter, he (like most genius's can) writes in such a manner that you dont have to have a PH D in astrophysics to understand it.

Really interesting. Not really a beach read.

You might not need a degree in astrophysics, but I probably wouldn't bother unless you have at the very least a solid grasp of high-school level maths/physics, as it's not exactly light, breezy stuff (although given the subject matter it's about as lucid as it could be without being dumbed-down. Most people who are likely to be interested in the first place should be able to work it out)

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdoodle View Post

not liking yoda is like knocking back a root when presented nude in a YD change room

Quote:

Originally Posted by mischa21 View Post

^mmmm all this talk of meat is getting me excited.

SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter

cheer up.

can't be fucked
MrPants +

Well what is this place, I'm sure I've been here before

Times thanked
< 0
In the last week have read:

Donna Tartt - The Secret History
Ian Caldwell - The Rule Of Four

Both entertaining reads, though The Secret History is definitely one of the better books to have eeked it's way into my consciousness in recent times. Her prose and ability to translate mood into the story is second to none. The way she is able to create tension in a mystery where we already know who dies, and the outcome of the main protagonist, shows her skill. Highly recommend this book for those that haven't read it. The Rule Of Four was also an entertaining read, though from a literary point of view, does not have the depth of Tartt.

I am now reading The Road To McCarthy to pass time whilst awaiting The Dante Club, The Grand Complication and Little New York Bastard to rock up in the mail.
Cause life is a song, for lovers of life
And life is enough, for lovers of life
And life is not long, so lovers of life
Live life in a song
PhunkyStar +

*Wonder Woman*

Times thanked
< 4
Im really not sure if anyone has mentioned these becuase i couldnt be bothered readin every single post... but last summer i read 'Molvania' by Rob Stitch and Tom Gleisner.. they wrote the follow up which i read this summer 'Phaic Tan'..

For those who havent heard about them the authors made up countrys and everything to do with those countrys so these books are travel guides for fake countrys..

Total genius! had me in stitches the whole way through.
Geezah +

Raaaaaaaaaaaaarrghh

Times thanked
< 1,500
So I finished 'Galapogas' by Kurt Vonnegut. All I can say is, if you like funny stuff, this dude is the man.

The book is about the last, well, I'll get the blurb for ya so I don't wax on about it:

Quote:

The human survivors of the "nature cruise of the century", are quietly evolving into sleek, furry creatures with flippers and small brains. All other forms of humankind have ceased to exist, made redundant by their prized big brains.

It has some big ideas but is funny as fuck. Read it. Now.

I am now reading Will Self's "Big Big Toys for Big Big Boys", which is a collection of short stories. Now this guy is a twisted SOB with an expansive vocabulary.

The first story is about a dude who finds that his house is built on a large slab of crack cocaine.

Another story is a microscopic look at the insect world.

Another is a story about a dude who is obviously having psychosis because of the name Dave.

Farking funny and serious.
miss erin +

tiny dancer

Times thanked
< 0
i recently finished tim winton's 'dirt music', those who have read and enjoyed 'cloudstreet' will understand me here when i say winton is the quintessential australian author of our generation.

i'd be reading 'the turning' (his newest release) right now if it weren't for the fact that hardbacks are so god damn expensive!
Soakey +

you like the su-fi

Times thanked
< 0
The Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown is one awesome read.

I couldn't put the sucker down and polished it in a couple days....i was hoping it wasn't gonna end

highly recommend
Import_Nights +

Like Angel Hair Pasta

Times thanked
< 0
Yes, Da Vinci code is good. But so mainstream now! It's like the equivalent of going to commercial radio. Where are the haters?

now reading Bill Brysons "a brief history of nearly everything". Anyone familiar with his style knows what a delight he is to read. And the content is amazing! The amount of research he must have done is mind boggling. It's crazy how he can discuss something as random as intermediate vector bosons, make you understand it, and still have you cracking up every second sentence. Gold.
innA +

Times thanked
< 0
i just finished Don DeLillo 'White Noise' - spectular book! basically tells the story of a couple who are afraid of who will die first.. but he brings in philosophy, psychology, and even comedy into the mix.

without a doubt the most perceptive writer ive ever read
SPOKEYDOKEY +

cephlapod chewing

Times thanked
< 2,222
cool, i'll look into it, cheers inna
MidgetFidget +

sexy rapman de de duuhhhh

Times thanked
< 1
Goddamn the da vinci code is an awful book. Sure some interesting "facts" about catholicism's history are raised, but jeez it was so poorly written. The dodgy product placement, half of it was in italics just so you don't miss anything important.

I hate this book.

blehh.

p
new music: www.myspace.com/patstormont
mixes by James: www.soundcloud.com/james-steer
deepchord Party Melbourne: www.soundcloud.com/deepchord-melbourne
mattt +

space is the place

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by innA

i just finished Don DeLillo 'White Noise' - spectular book! basically tells the story of a couple who are afraid of who will die first.. but he brings in philosophy, psychology, and even comedy into the mix.

without a doubt the most perceptive writer ive ever read

Try DeLillo's 'Underworld' as well, which you may have read,,,, up there amongst my fave literature ever. Quite dry and complex but picture perfect views on modern America.
innA +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattt

Try DeLillo's 'Underworld' as well, which you may have read,,,, up there amongst my fave literature ever. Quite dry and complex but picture perfect views on modern America.

ive actually got that one too.. i started it, but went to White Noise after a 100 pages.. wasnt doing too much for me, and wanted to see if i liked Delillo enough to read a 800+ page book will definitely go back to it now.
fun2bzoe +

Times thanked
< 0
I've just finished reading a really amazing book 'SOUAD Burned Alive'
It's about this woman who tells her story of surviving an honour killing which are still in practice in some countries today. It's just an amazing story, and really makes you appreciate the freedom we have in Australia.
clayto +

Times thanked
< 0
I am busy reading Scar Tissue is only just come out. Its the life story so far from Anthony K. the lead singer of the Red Hot Chill Peppers. I am just over half way and i would rate it 8/10.
PhunkyStar +

*Wonder Woman*

Times thanked
< 4
Just finished reading 'Speaking in Tongues' which is what the ideas in the movie 'Lantana' is based on.
It is a script not a novel and its only about 80 pages long but well worth a read.
So many twists and it really proves the theory of six degrees of seperation.
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 167
I'm stiull reading this god damn fantasy series that I started in my teens, it annoys me.

I have to finish it, but the books get released annually, and considering how little time I have, am luck to read one book a year.

So I miss all these intellectual books and continue with the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series.

Haul 5 out soon, Project Squared EP out now

soundcloud
hAUL Music
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
< 4

Quote:

Originally Posted by jootsiejuice

I'm stiull reading this god damn fantasy series that I started in my teens, it annoys me.

I have to finish it, but the books get released annually, and considering how little time I have, am luck to read one book a year.

So I miss all these intellectual books and continue with the Robert Jordan "Wheel of Time" series.

i have actually forgotten which one of these I am up to

so i've given up
i take photos
jootsiejuice +

I'm a cowboy...

Times thanked
< 167
I'm up to the latest. And see no end in sight. Dude needs to get some serious finishing skills.
Haul 5 out soon, Project Squared EP out now

soundcloud
hAUL Music
Bill +

behind the mask

Times thanked
< 298
Finished "Goodbye Cobber, God bless you" by John Hamilton night before last.

Very accurate and moving (I cried a few times, but I'm a big girl) account of the 3rd Light Horse Brigade charge at The Nek in Gallipoli in 1915.

war is stoopid

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ContentDyn...SBN=1405036249

abstract electronica and drone. lights off, cans on, freak out...
cosmic_rocket +

Times thanked
< 0
Anything by Raymond Feist. Best fantasy i have ever read. Magician is by far the best!

Catch 22 by Joseph Heller isa pretty good book too. Kinda satirical.
trina +

Curiouser and Curiouser

Times thanked
< 0
I have its called

White Devils by Paul Mcauly

All i can say is it one of the best books ive owned!
Its set in the ahead in time it never says how far but its soooooo could happen its scary!

Thats all i'll say UNREAL BOOK!!!!!!!!

I'm a very nice person.....
it just takes a very nice person to bring it out in me.

Every Woman should have 4 pets in her life.
A Mink in her closet, a Jaguar in her garage, a Tiger in her bed, & a Jackass who pays for everything.
innA +

Times thanked
< 0
on a side note: www.metacritic.com now review books.. awesome site!
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
< 3,149
im reading a sociological paper\book about the philosphy of punk. It's fucking good! Especially because this is one of the few papers i actually have read that differentiate between the sub groups within punk, explain the politics they hold and the relationship to music. damn good read...

next one is about the history of kosovo!

oh and you can NEVER go past Tintin comics!!!!!!

« Previous Thread Next Thread »