General

EDITORIAL: Famous for being famous?

Tools
marcus +

Times thanked
< 0
EDITORIAL: Famous for being famous?
Editorial by i_have_ADD

Paris Hilton? Like, seriously, who the f*ck is Paris Hilton? Heir to some hoteliers fortune, she comes out here and fools around with a D-grade popstar wannabe, gets ditzy at the Melbourne Cup, some old tapes surface of her doing the nasty with Shannan Dohertys husband, and the entire country is in awe. Im serious, is her job literally to fly around the world, get drunk (and whatever else), and create controversy in her wake?

I guess the reason Im so dumbfounded is that Ms Hilton represents a certain type of celebrity, and its one that I have a rather intense dislike of - people who are famous simply for being famous. At least with an actor or musician theres (usually) some element of ability there, some reason as to why theyre an icon. But... the Hilton sisters?

The news item on the Sydney Morning Herald website regarding Paris Hiltons much talked about sex video received more traffic than anything else on the site, and thats on a credible news website. Its little wonder with interest like that why tabloid newspapers are so popular overseas.

The ultimate irony is that this is all weve spoken about in the office all week, and Im just as obsessed as everyone else... But I want to know why?!
Europe :offchops:
Griggle +

If it is prophylactic and emphatically didactic, then it's not tactic."

Times thanked
< 1,726
I thought she was famous for being the worlds richest crack-whore. :p
Broadband speeds will always be lower under a Coalition Government.
Alicia Laner +

Times thanked
< 0
Re: EDITORIAL: Famous for being famous?

Quote:

Originally posted by marcus
Editorial by i_have_ADD
The news item on the Sydney Morning Herald website regarding Paris Hiltons much talked about sex video received more traffic than anything else on the site, and thats on a credible news website. Its little wonder with interest like that why tabloid newspapers are so popular overseas.

Readers were probably searching endlesly for the "download here" link...

I Didn't know who they were in Melbourne for the Cup weekend (i don't watch much TV though).
had to google search, found similar article on their over exposure here.

Pretentiousness is vulgar human attribute at best.
They seem like scum...
......Take a chance, you stupid ho......

Last edited by Alicia Laner: 12-Nov-03 at 09:49pm

NanouK +

safe innit

Times thanked
< 1
you know what I hate even more than Paris Hilton? That stupid pose she does in every single photo!!!!

you know the one.... tits out, tilt of head......

and the best she could do while over here was Millsy?? Owell....
"Anyone who lives within their means, suffers from a serious lack of imagaination" .... Oscar Wilde
FunkyJ +

Times thanked
< 1
who wants to see that scrag get f*cked anyway???

although, there are some good celebrities who are famous simply for being famous...

Bez from the Happy Mondays comes to mind
Too Weird to be Alive, Too Rare to Die
*F*U*N*K*Y*J
http://www.funkyj.com

-----
The opinions of FunkyJ are in no way are meant to represent the views of FunkyJ or his subsidiaries and are subject to change without notice...
mem1 +

Times thanked
< 0
Seriously, who cares!!! Get over your dicks instead of trippin over them.

It's all about da music innit.

So is the soundtrack good?
mxmai +

Times thanked
< 33
who the fuck is paris hilton?

isn't it a hotel in France?

-mxmai
Iain +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally posted by mem1
It's all about da music innit.

No, its not.
What gave you that idea?
Friends are Electric : Lasergun <---
A fountain of blood In the shape of a girl ~ Bjrk <---
A Mad Tea-Party - Alice In Wonderland <---
shellybelly +

shellybelly = sillybilly

Times thanked
< 0
i agree, i hate people who are famous for being famous, yet i find paris strangely compelling. i guess i'd all like to be able to live a life like that.
FunkyJ +

Times thanked
< 1
and just admit it I_have_ADD...

writing an editorial with the words "Paris" "Hilton" and "Sex tape" is just a cheap way to get more visitors to the site from search engines, innit!!!

Too Weird to be Alive, Too Rare to Die
*F*U*N*K*Y*J
http://www.funkyj.com

-----
The opinions of FunkyJ are in no way are meant to represent the views of FunkyJ or his subsidiaries and are subject to change without notice...
mitsubachi +

Times thanked
< 0
I'll admit it - I'm fascinated,nay, jealous. Not with the look of these two shapeless skanks. Leathery blonde isn't my idea of beauty.
But travelling the world just to party? That is my idea of fun.
I'm green.

But if the price is the free circulation of clear shots of ur misshapen flaps and ur coked-out amatuer video, I guess I'm pretty happy with just the local weekends.
Spread your love For Fa'Dong!
MissMuffin +

Jesse's Girl

Times thanked
< 0
I was reading an article on the lovely Paris and it was something about her having to go wee at Melbourne Cup and security roped off the toilys. A woman was still in there and on her way out Paris was blotting her lippy on a towel. Paris throws the towel at the woman and says "here, keep this, it'll make you millions one day"...

Seriously man, I mean seriously.
a_sixunhuit +

Times thanked
< 0
No offence I_H_A but was this column really worth it? She receives more air time as it is.

From the lyrical booty masters...

Everywhere I go, I see the same hoe.

There are so many girls out there that want to be like her, that it's scary. Then again, there's plenty of chumps who want to tour the grounds of the Paris Hilton as well.

Someone said you'd like to live a life like hers? Why? Everything is easy and carefree. However, wouldn't it be better to have worked and earned it, as opposed to be 'lucky' and born into it.

What has she really achieved?
[it was minimal until all the kids who were into electro decided that wearing fluoro pink wasn't ubercoolische anymore and needed another bandwagon to join and some amyl for the ride]
Gudgeon +

Times thanked
< 0
Nicky
I wanna know why their parents didn't call Nicky Sydney...Sydney Hilton and Paris Hilton...What a worldly pair of good for nothins.
hoola21 +

Times thanked
< 0
totally agree, I had no idea who they were until I saw a photo on the sydney morning herald. They are overexposed people with to much money for nothing. Although I would love to live like that.
Lady Lex +

true story

Times thanked
< 0
Sounds like you have a bit of envy there... if anything, I feel sorry for these people more than anything. Its like the royal family (and the Hilton sisters are the equivilent I guess): they get hounded by people simply because of their name. How do you know they are talentless? Have they ever really been given the opporuntity to prove themselves? Has anyone actually given them the time to really be themselves? to grow into matgure adults? Paris and Nikki Hilton have no clue what it is like to suffer, to sacrifice (like any other talented individual working their way up in the world) to strive... and its not their fault. They have grown up in a world of extreme luxury and been brainwashed into believing that the world is theirs for the taking. Where people want them for their money, their wealth, their lifestyle, their name and certianly not for themselves.

And why not go for a supposed D Grade Pop Star wannabe? Millsy is likely to be a very down to earth guy who know where he comes from and doesnt make any claims of superiority - thats how he appears to me anyway. Perhaps Paris saw the down to earth character that is applicable to the majority of Australians and just went for it. And why not?

I think you should get of your high horse and start being considerate of the other people who inhabit this earth. Maybe they dont really care about us, but have they been given the opportunity to do so? Im not saying "Poor little rich girls..." Im saying try to put it into perspective. There are many ways of looking at things, sometimes you have to see it through the actual viewers eyes is all.
"To be a musician is a curse. To not be one is even worse." Jack Daney
"Men of honour know the answer is not with violence"
palu +

ITM Moderator

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally posted by a_sixunhuit

Everywhere I go, I see the same hoe.

haha.

Personally, I love the Hiltons.

I just can't get enough of them ... theres just something so wonderfully trashy and cheap about them - its quite fascinating. They're famous for being famous - which is quite an achievement in itself :p

And yay for Millsy. He knows his time is up, so why not make the most of it and pork one of the Hiltons? Why would anyone begrudge him for that opportunity?

Its not like I worship or admire these people. Of course they have no talent, and of course they've contributed nothing with their celebrity status. They affirm the idea that looks and money can get you far, which is something I hate. However like someone said; its like a train wreck, you don't want to look but you just can't help it.
You want me to hit you with a stick - but all I've got is a guitar pick

Last edited by palu: 14-Nov-03 at 12:13pm

Just Juce +

Times thanked
< 0
Some people just have that natural ability to attract attention, some have a wealthy family, all have been blessed with beauty.

If you ask me, I think the reason that she did whatever with Shannon Doherty's husband (I don't know the story), if that is the story at all, it was probably Shannon Doherty's doing.

She probably wanted to walk in in the middle so she could participate, or watch. I think it had something to do with that program Charmed.

Who was holding the camera anyway?
THEHEATH +

ACCESS DENIED.

Times thanked
< 1,133
I was reading some column about the girls and it basically said how the girls came here without any claims or pretence of doing anything more than coming here for a good time & to promote the Spring racing carnival and add a little glitz and glamour to the event. Clearly thats what they're paid for, and thats what they did , and they did it well.....theirin lies they're talent.

Sure its only cos they're rich and hot....but thats no different to some guy doing extremely well in business cos he was born with a high IQ. You work with wat uve got.

Quote:

Originally Posted by magictorch

I am epileptic, so making fun of other people with epilepsy isn't making fun of people less fortunate.

Also, despite my epilepsy, I daresay I'm more fortunate than you, you condescending prick.

magic15x +

Times thanked
< 0
HERE IS THE SEX TAPE!!
PB Man +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally posted by a_sixunhuit
Everything is easy and carefree. However, wouldn't it be better to have worked and earned it, as opposed to be 'lucky' and born into it.

It's an interesting point but I'd have to disagree

edit: .

Last edited by PB Man: 18-Nov-03 at 12:49am

snoochy-boochy +

see you next tuesday...

Times thanked
< 0
Jealousy's a curse, people.

Of course you all would love to be rich and famous, have a neat little shaven fanny, and never have to do fuck all except for hang out with other Scene-Queens at celebrity shin-digs and drink expensive flutes of bubbly, whilst millions of blokes toss-off to pictures of you over the internet.

And who says she hasnt done anything?

I'll have you know that she's an accomplished actress, and a film I saw with her in it only last week is already one of my all-time favourites.

Two thumbs up!
Start spreading the news
He's playing today
He's gonna score a goal again
DWIGHT YORKE DWIGHT YORKE
If he can score from there
He'll score from anywhere
It's up to you
DWIGHT YORKE DWIGHT YORKE
damsel +

Times thanked
< 0