Various Artists - Creamfields mixed by Paul Oakenfold
Thu 16th Sep, 2004 Music Reviews 1632 viewsin
The Creamfields brand has established itself as the jewel in the crown of UK dance festivals, since it began life in 1998. Born out of the Liverpool’s super club Cream, the Creamfields festival held every August bank holiday weekend is regarded as one of the premier closing parties of the UK summer, consistently presenting an ever-impressive array of major live acts and world class DJ’s. Now, Cream and New State Music have joined forces to deliver the first in a series of Creamfields branded releases, and have enlisted Cream resident & Superstar DJ Paul Oakenfold and his Perfecto label to launch the series in 2004. Creamfields features exclusive tracks and mixes from the likes of U2, John 00 Fleming, Mauro Picotto, Matt Darey & Li Kwan, NuBreed & Luke Chable, Quivver, Tilt and many more over two brilliant CDs! This compilation showcases the trademark sound of Balearic-style-trance for Oakenfold is known for all around the world.
The first disk immediately kicks off on a dreamy trance vibe with Li Kwan – Point Zero. Here the epic vocal cuts provide a chilling atmospheric start to the compilation. The mix progresses into some quality melodic trance tunes such as Interstate – I Found U which features sublime vocals. The smooth trance continues with progressive vocal gems such as Duran & Aytek – First Sight and Sultan & The Greek – Wadi all mixed to perfection. Other highlights include the beautiful bleeps and booming bass line of Markus Schulz presents Elevation – Clear Blue. Oakenfold’s own mix of Carlos Vives – Comu Tu is also a highlight due to the rocking but dreamy sound of this tune. Both tunes from Tilt are simply amazing and definitely amongst my favourite at the moment.
Starts off on a break beat tip and presents a smooth cruising sound all throughout the mix. DJ Suzy Solar – Ocean Of Love is an amazing stereo excursion with a huge wailing synth which has to be heard to be believed. Australia’s own internationals feature with the beautiful track from NuBreed & Luke Chable – One Day. The unbelievable emotional vocals and melodies of Girl Nobody – Cages (Lemon 8 Remix) must get a mention as does the classic osunds of Auranaut – People Want To Be Needed. Much of this second disc seems to cruise along nicely yet it is packed full of some huge build-ups that you can get lost in. Oakenfold’s 2004 remix of the classic Mauro Picotto tune Lizard is also included whilst mix is bought to a close by John 00 Fleming – I’m Not Fooled.
Overall, this is a quality compilation that Oakenfold fans will enjoy for many months too come. Full of fresh tunes and even some classics thrown in from the late nineties on the second disk; this is definitely one for the trance fans out there to get lost in; full of dreamy melodies, smooth vocals and layered atmospheres. This double cd compilation will no doubt make your cd player its home for many months to come. If you enjoyed the Great wall release from Oakenfold then this will be right up your alley. Both cds flow amazingly well and all of the tracks are amazingly likeable with no tracks that will have you reaching for the skip button as with many compilations. Highly recommended!
01. Matt Darey pres. Li Kwan – Point Zero
02. Interstate – I Found U
03. Duran & Aytek – First Sight
04. Sultan & The Greek – Wadi
05. Markus Schulz presents Elevation – Clear Blue
06. Carlos Vives – Comu Tu (Paul Oakenfold mix)
07. Tilt – 12
08. D:Fuse – Living The Dream
09. Quivver – Space Manoeuvres (part 3)
10. Tilt – World Doesn’t Know
11. Young Parisians ft. Ben Lost – Jump The Next Train (probspot mix)
01. DJ Suzy Solar – Ocean Of Love
02. NuBreed & Luke Chable – One Day
03. Pinkbox Special – Nice Guys Finish Last
04. Girl Nobody – Cages (Lemon 8 mixes)
05. The Sneaker – Scatterbomb (original Spring mix)
06. Peter Martin presents Anthanasia – Perfect Wave
07. Oakenfold – Time Of Your Life (Shane 54’s Rolling On Ultra mix)
08. Auranaut – People Want To Be Needed
09. Stel & Good Newz – Particle
10. U2 – Beautiful Day (The Perfecto 2004 mix)
11. Mauro Picotto – Lizard (Paul Oakenfold 2004 remix)
12. John 00 Fleming – I’m Not Fooled (dub mix)