Carl Cox: "I was playing dubstep before anyone called it dubstep"

Image for Carl Cox: "I was playing dubstep before anyone called it dubstep"

“I’ve always been eclectic with my ears,” UK legend Carl Cox told inthemix ahead of the Stereosonic 2011 tour. “There’s some drum & bass, dubstep, Latin house on my new album; basically everything to do with the course of my life.”

In a recent interview with Time Out London – and picked up by Mixmag – Cox takes theme of his eclecticism further. “I was playing dubstep three years before anyone even decided to call it dubstep, but I never got known for playing that style,” he remarks when the magazine asks if it’s hard not to get complacent. “I don’t mind the now generation being seen as the pioneers, but there had to be a Carl Cox pushing the doors open for these guys.”

The DJ’s forthright comments were picked up by dubstep figurehead Skream, who remarked on Twitter: “I would genuinely like to know what pre dubstep tracks Carl Cox was playing…”, before adding, “Is he talking Garage? El-B, Wookie, Zed Bias, Horsepower, Oris Jay? Because to me that was ‘dubstep’ before ‘dubstep’.”

This being Twitter, the query then incited a barrage of knee-jerk reactions: “Why do you hate Carl Cox so much? For fuck sake calm down man!”, “yo what’s ur fuckin problem bro hatin on carl cox get a fuckin clue bro”, and so on.

“People who actually know me know that I’ve got pretty good musical knowledge, hence why I would never diss fucking Carl Cox,” Tweeted a battle-weary Skream. Guess you don’t go to Twitter for a reasoned debate…

Comments

canzirri

canzirri said on the 7th Feb, 2012

he might have been playing it, but it sounds like his trying to take fame for something he had little hand in. he might of made it but it must not have been to special or ground breaking for "dubstep". carl cox is the last person i would associate with the genre personally.

Villephant

Villephant said on the 7th Feb, 2012

skream's comments seemed genuine, as if he wanted to know...
how is a twitter conversation news? so that everyone can get all uppity about the guy that wrong the comment back at skream?
are people going to think skream is a bastard now?
i dont understand what this proves
i, too, would like to know what dubstep carl cox was playing before it was called dubstep. because i would like to know...

xsvproject

xsvproject said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Who gives a fuck? Anyone?

josh_goods

josh_goods said on the 7th Feb, 2012

another amazing inthemix article
heres an idea, why don't you go do some fucking research

yani_s

yani_s said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Theres being the first to do it and then theres being the first to do it well.

B_e_de

B_e_de said on the 7th Feb, 2012

I was a fat black guy before it was cool.

pomrocks

pomrocks said on the 7th Feb, 2012

another amazing inthemix article
heres an idea, why don't you go do some fucking research

Funny how carl cox having a go on twitter is news worthy, yet carl cox featuring an australian artist on a compliation cd isnt news worthy

yes ITM i'm still bitter about that :P

JackT

JackT said on the 7th Feb, 2012

The Carl Cox quote is from an interview, not Twitter.

pomrocks

pomrocks said on the 7th Feb, 2012

dont start correcting me when i'm wrong ;)

angy said on the 7th Feb, 2012

canzirri said it in one I think - and pomrocks, you're just being rude (and making little sense). It's arrogant and presumptuous for you to be telling editorial what they should and shouldn't be reporting on, they know their audience a lot better than you do. I can appreciate you gunning for local culture, but JackT has done plenty to support it. "heres an idea, why don't you go do some fucking research." ????????

dirtyepic

dirtyepic said on the 7th Feb, 2012

"Guess you don%u2019t go to Twitter for a reasoned debate%u2026"

Like going to McDonalds for a salad, or a brothel for a hug, really. Twitter is where intelligent thought goes to die.

BfJ7

BfJ7 said on the 7th Feb, 2012

I was playing with my CoxHead before it was called a Cox Head

pomrocks

pomrocks said on the 7th Feb, 2012

WTF angy? I see playing in the snow hasnt chilled you out much?

And comment wasnt aimed at direct at Jack, he's doing his best. (ie his thread with ideas of what to cover)

JackT

JackT said on the 7th Feb, 2012

angy, pomrocks was quoting an earlier poster - unfortunately you can't see which part is quoted in the comments section under the story, haha

matzta73

matzta73 said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Small things amuse small minds.... What is twitter?

LavyP

LavyP said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Carl Cox is house. But I have seen him play trance, dubstep, electro, drum and bass, heavy metal, rage against the machine, marilyn manson in his sets. Surprsingly, all in one set once. The guy is a legend. Greatest mixer alive in my opinion. god bless.

lawlietskyy said on the 7th Feb, 2012

ITM is the current affairs of dance music, whilst its main function is to report news, you need to keep in mind the shadow operation: controversy ... I can bet you most crazy one-liners are taken out of context... I spoke with John Askew regarding his "Trance is a vipers nest of cunts" comment ... He laughed and said it was way out of context.

JackT

JackT said on the 7th Feb, 2012

Read that Time Out interview & the full interview with John Askew and tell me how they were taken out of 'context'? The context is provided.

angy said on the 7th Feb, 2012

hahaha my bad! My apologies, no wonder your comment made such little sense ;)

angy said on the 7th Feb, 2012

And yeah, the Askew interview - he was quoted directly word-for-word from an email interview, not much room for being taken out of context there. You can read it yourself and make up your mind.

lawlietskyy said on the 8th Feb, 2012

or you could just ask the man yourself, as news reporters you should be able to deduce the more accurate source of information ... something about the horses mouth?

Nevertheless - ITM does an amazing job stirring the pot and tbh if everything was done word for word, this would be boring ... so kudos ITM ..

TROLOLOLOL

lawlietskyy said on the 8th Feb, 2012

AND FFS calm down angy ... you look angry for some reason *looks at DP*

NenadL

NenadL said on the 8th Feb, 2012

I miss Carl Cox playing Energy Flash, and Green Velvet - Flash in his sets....

JackT

JackT said on the 8th Feb, 2012

Would love to have Coxy on speed dial, but sometimes it just doesn't work like that! Sometimes it does though, so noted. In Askew's case, it was from the interview we did with him, so pretty direct.

DjAppollo

DjAppollo said on the 8th Feb, 2012

So many angry people? If most of you knew what he was playing in the late 80's / early 90's and where the roots of Garage and Dubstep originate from,then you could make your angry comments. Carl Cox is a legend and a pioneer. Respect to all hard working Dj's and Artists. No disrespect to anyone.... PEACE!

Timmac

Timmac said on the 9th Feb, 2012

What DJAppollo said - Cox is uncompromising in his commitment to underground, driving and altogether quality EDM. A true pioneer, and a gentleman to boot.

bonfiglio

bonfiglio said on the 10th Feb, 2012

bonfiglio: "I was playing dubstep before anyone called it dubstep before Carl Cox was playing dubstep before anyone called it dub step."

Has anyone seen my measuring tape?

d_appleseed

d_appleseed said on the 12th Feb, 2012

I would like to hear Carl Cox's 'Roots of Dubstep' mix...?

d_appleseed

d_appleseed said on the 13th Feb, 2012

I think that it's plausible Carl could have been playing early Dubstep or its immediate ancestors- what's in dispute is his apparent contribution to its development. It could be inferred from the article that Carl feels aggrieved this has not been acknowledged. And who knows- maybe behind the scenes he put in a good word in for some of the originators with distributors & venue owners to give them some of their early breaks. A 'Roots of Dubstep' mix from him with some further accompanying explanation could go some way to address that.