Porter Robinson talks dubstep

While many ITMers would have been pretty pleased that UK bass innovator Burial today released a new EP, there’s one man who may not be celebrating: Porter Robinson. In an interview with inthemix this morning, the 19 year-old Skrillex-signee confessed that he’s not too fond of the classic conception of ‘dubstep’.

“Personally, I prefer brostep to what they call ‘true dubstep’. In my opinion, true dubstep is thoroughly uninteresting, c-grade production,” Robinson told us. “I mean, of course there are exceptions – Skream and Benga are extremely talented – but I think there’s an enormous amount of pretence in the dubstep community. Because something is deliberate and uninteresting, it makes it superior to the more accessible stuff. I don’t buy that at all.”

While he’s clearly not too fond of early dubstep, the US producer also took issue with the term ‘brostep’. “I think brostep, like a lot of genre terms, started as a derogative label,” he explained, “but people have reclaimed ownership of the word brostep, like they’ve reclaimed ownership of the word ‘queer’. Personally, I think brostep is full-on inaccurate; I don’t think that the bro caricature type, the bro stereotype, is limited to dubstep in the way that popular culture would portray it.”

But Porter’s not denying he’s dabbled in the wubbs before. “I have a couple dubstep songs that are heavy and aggressive, and I don’t mean to knock the genre at all, but I think it became a little worn out. I mean, it’s been done so thoroughly, I think every aspect of hard dubstep has been explored.”

Stay tuned for the full interview – coming soon!

Future Music Festival 2012

Ellis Park

Add me and invite

Comments

discotheque

discotheque said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Well, what do you expect from this little 90s baby? Born in 1992, graduated high school in 2011, of course he would prefer the shitty brostep like his peers. Anyone born in the 90s is obviously fucked and comprised of idiots who are unaware. These dubstep producers were ushering in new sounds when he wasn't even in high school in 2005 so he should shut the fuck up and eat a bowl of dick.

Dr Bones

Dr Bones said on the 14th Feb, 2012

"While many ITMers would have been pretty pleased that UK bass innovator Burial today released a new EP, there’s one man who may not be celebrating: Porter Robinson. In an interview with inthemix this morning, the 19 year-old Skrillex-signee"

I stopped reading at about the bolded bit.

christo93

christo93 said on the 14th Feb, 2012

@Discotheque - not cool dude.
I was born in 93, and thanks to the internet, I was listening to dubstep when it was a new sound, and favor it over all the shit thats about now. As far as I know, I'm not fucked, or an unaware idiot.
I was listening to house and techno when I was in primary school. Just because I couldn't go to clubs, it doesn't make me unaware or make me appreciate it any less because I wasn't fucked off my face on whatever substance while I was listening to it.
Take your fucked, judgemental 'arguement', and fuck off.

Dr Bones

Dr Bones said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Billroyguy

Billroyguy said on the 14th Feb, 2012

If all the teenie 90s kid were sweating the original dubstep sound, purists would hate it even more. Older people (pre 90s) with such superior, eclectic taste in music wouldn't go near the wubs so it shouldn't bother them, unless they take the time to read the thoughts of a 19 yr old wubstep producer...

amphibian

amphibian said on the 14th Feb, 2012

I couldn't care less about this guy or his thoughts - Brostep is just like every other form of dance music that had to find a more aggressive/harder edge. We've all been there, amongst various genres - it's nothing new. If however, you do enjoy the deeper sounds - I suggest you get along to our next event - Sunday's Defekt was wicked! :D:hooray:

Brostep has one thing going for it - it keeps the tards away from the deeper sounds :D

Jarrod_s

Jarrod_s said on the 14th Feb, 2012

jaded dudes commenting on "the way it was when i..." ... just another day in the life of ITM isn't it?

Dr Bones

Dr Bones said on the 14th Feb, 2012

S'ok cupcake, one day you'll understand what it feels like to be jaded.

crackers4

crackers4 said on the 14th Feb, 2012

"Erm, I don't think he was saying that everyone born after a certain point is an idiot... just that this Porter whatever guy probably is."

Nice theory except for...

"Anyone born in the 90s is obviously fucked and comprised of idiots who are unaware"

Dr Bones

Dr Bones said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Right... well... To be wholly honest I didn't exactly read what he wrote, more skimmed it. My bad.

If it's any consollation, I don't think everyone born in the 90s is a fucktard.

trouble          hifire

trouble hifire said on the 14th Feb, 2012

@christo93, lololol. Buddy unless you were listening to this as a 'new sound' when you were <10 then I think you may have your timeline a touch off.

discotheque

discotheque said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Not all of them are, there's always exceptions to 90s babies. But a clear majority of them are, so don't get mad at me; be mad at your peers for being colossal fuck ups.

Wowk

Wowk said on the 14th Feb, 2012

That's because he's a fucking idiot.

m_xt

m_xt said on the 14th Feb, 2012

His opinion of bro/dub/fratstep seems to change in each paragraph.

christo93

christo93 said on the 14th Feb, 2012

@trouble - well maybe not fresh as new, but hey, i'd consider around 2006 reasonably early days for dubstep. I was about 13/14 anyways.

@discotheque - not gonna lie, they have questionable tastes in dance music

BfJ7

BfJ7 said on the 14th Feb, 2012

I got love for you if you were born in the 90's..???

jamwildway

jamwildway said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Never heard of Porter Robinson, don't know why he will be a future either. Just another no-name talentless hack.

danimalwatts

danimalwatts said on the 14th Feb, 2012

not cool @discotheque, nevertheless Porter Robinson doesnt know what the fuk he is on about, bloody flip-flopper

Silkyyy

Silkyyy said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Villephant

Villephant said on the 14th Feb, 2012

why cant people just like what they like without bagging out other shit? there is a reason people hate people who hate people

F_Grimes

F_Grimes said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Villephant - you mean like most of the people do on ITM? ;)

brown820

brown820 said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Have to laugh at the older individuals who jump straight to personal attacks rather than actually debating the points someone else puts forth. Discotheque is a classic example, using a weak insult that Porter's age has anything to do with his music production ability or his perception of others'.

The man has a point, much of what people call 'true dubstep,' as opposed to 'brostep' lacks merit in terms of sound design and innovative producing. For all the people who hate on Skrillex's sound, it's still near impossible to criticise him in terms of how complex his sound design is without coming off as hugely ignorant of what goes into his production and how synthesis works generally. Perhaps, discotheque, you'd like to actually read the article and then address the points made instead of hearing criticism of your treasured genre and reacting much like a child would, with petty insults and generalisations ala 'everyone born in the 90s is an idiot.'

angy said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Great article! Stir the pot a bit. It's fairly dumb (and uninformed) to rag on "pure" dubstep, but in terms of the heavier, more accessible stuff having a place, he has a point. Great point of discussion, shame it has to spiral into abuse in the comments field though...

EgosXII

EgosXII said on the 14th Feb, 2012

wow. what a douchebag.

kone

kone said on the 14th Feb, 2012

needs to get his mind blown by some local aussie dubstep producers, or via kryptic minds. that'd fix him

Dr Bones

Dr Bones said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Kryptic fucking Minds. God Damn right.

JoshWarry

JoshWarry said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Don't think he realizes that without "true dubstep" we wouldn't have his mediocre brostep inspired house.

khaiyin

khaiyin said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Genre X = bad, Genre Y = good.
Haven't heard that before. More articles like this please!

noNOVA

noNOVA said on the 14th Feb, 2012

Funny it's the same way I feel about his tunes hope his live show is better than his releases!

VanillaFace

VanillaFace said on the 14th Feb, 2012

It hurts me to read someone talk about classic dubstep in such a ignorant manner, but then I think about how I'm actually glad that douches don't like it because if they did, they would ruin it too. And then I feel better.

BumblingBee

BumblingBee said on the 14th Feb, 2012

porter trollbinson more like

slinky87

slinky87 said on the 15th Feb, 2012

How do you comment on someone's opinion when they don't really know what it is themeselves? It seems like he's said something about "true dubstep" then realised that Skream and Benga will chin check him next time they see him so he's backpeddled and said how great they are.

What a knob.

dry_air

dry_air said on the 15th Feb, 2012

If it wasn't for Artists like Skream & Benga this shithead and wouldn't be around.

sifu02

sifu02 said on the 15th Feb, 2012

Shut the hell up kid...and crawl back into whatever yank rock you came out from

DTrancer

DTrancer said on the 15th Feb, 2012

looks like the tweenies bubstep market is well and truly covered

Justin_m23

Justin_m23 said on the 15th Feb, 2012

You could have made an interesting point. Then in one swift move you turned your post into imbecilic dribble. Well done.

LunarCat

LunarCat said on the 15th Feb, 2012

I think that throwing around statements like these recently became a type of PR... Those who are in dubstep or brostep are trying to come up with something that will reap "wtf" reactions, while non EDM related artists just toss a word dubstep in their interviews to draw attention.

( Of course, maybe it's not PR, but just him talking rubbish. :P)

EDIT: for fun, I've just googled "everybody talking about dubstep". Long story short, I now know what [URL="http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=dubtrot"]dubtrot is. :lol:

Redevil

Redevil said on the 15th Feb, 2012

So much rage. I first felt that when blink 182 killed punk. Then again when house music died out.

Time and genres change, evolve, and move on. If you are complaining about how the "new kids" don't get it, how about not bothering to hate on people, go inside and listen to your vinyls, and let the kids play on your lawn.

Dr Bones

Dr Bones said on the 15th Feb, 2012

First off, punk isn't dead. Second, Blink 182 were never proper punk (even at their best), so their chances of killing it were always slim to none

I don't even.

prolix

prolix said on the 16th Feb, 2012

What do you think? Post your comment...

prolix

prolix said on the 16th Feb, 2012

I guess he's too young to know what the hell he's even saying. This 19 year-old young man's opinion is irrelevant.

discotheque

discotheque said on the 16th Feb, 2012

"jamwildway needs to listen to people's music before considering even making a judgement. Porter is making some pretty decent stuff, especially for a 19 year old."

Uh James Holden was 19 when he produced Horizon in 1999, Armin van Buuren released Blue Fear at 19 as well, Adam Spears of Starkid fame released Crayons when he was 18, Thomas Bangalter released Outrun when he was 19, the list goes on. Porter Robinson at 19 makes shit compared what those guys produced at that age.

discotheque

discotheque said on the 16th Feb, 2012

juju3005

juju3005 said on the 18th Feb, 2012

Wouldn't call him a talentless prick....

Heist9000

Heist9000 said on the 19th Feb, 2012

Outsiders perspective here (someone who doesn't dig either bro-step or the original stuff) ... The two genres seem to be brothers in the worlds most dysfunctional family. You have one that's completely up its own arse with un-engaging tedium and 'look-at-me' sound trickery... and the other completely self absorbed with chest pounding abrasiveness and 'look-at-me' sound trickery...um... Maybe they should realise they are more alike than they think

ThePlayground

ThePlayground said on the 14th Mar, 2012

he will be playing in London at The Coronet on the 12th of May!