David Guetta announces new electronic label

Image for David Guetta announces new electronic label

There’s been no shortage of accusations over the past couple of years that David Guetta’s, dare we say it, sold out. Between the hook ups with The Black Eyed Peas, Akon, Flo Rida and Snoop Dogg (to really only name a few), it’s not hard to understand why many see the Frenchman leaning just a tad too far toward the pop end of the spectrum for a dance artist.

Well, it seems David Guetta’s not oblivious to such concerns. Performing onstage at Brazil’s Ultra Music Festival over the weekend, Guetta announced that he’s launching a new label with a refocussed direction. “I’m going to start a new electronic label,” he told the audience mid-way through the Nicky Romero collaboration Metropolis, “and this is the first track on the label.”

Naturally, it’s not the first time he’s harked back to the pre-pop days – you might recall the second disc on last year’s Nothing But the Beat was electronic. At any rate, he seems pretty excited about what’s happening in dance music at the moment. Speaking to the crowd at the end of his set (after dropping Nicki Minaj collab’ Turn Me On and the Usher hit Without You), Guetta exclaimed “Wow! Thousands and thousands and thousands of people partying together feeling like one. Do you realise what’s going on in America? How our music is taking over?”, adding “I never imagined that one day this would happen. But this is only the beginning, right?”

Comments

lawlietskyy said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Guetta is now trying to build a bridge BACK to the EDM fanbase and culture... He built a bridge connecting the crappy US commercial scene and went there.. Stay there.

DHindahouse

DHindahouse said on the 27th Mar, 2012

pull the other one, Guetta, nobody is fooled. You'll still pedal out the same pop-dance crap.

special ed

special ed said on the 27th Mar, 2012

i know David!!, who'd have thought that pop music would be popular in America?.
you're a fucking wizard harry!

SANDSLASH

SANDSLASH said on the 27th Mar, 2012

And then the heavens rained down a torrent of coked up goblins with cherry flavoured arrows..

jamwildway

jamwildway said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Guetta is the number 1 DJ ATM, much deserved. Well done!

VanillaGorilla

VanillaGorilla said on the 27th Mar, 2012

@jamwildway, please troll somewhere else :D

Makkaaa

Makkaaa said on the 27th Mar, 2012

Good, throw all your shitty stuff into one label, makes it easier for me to exclude from my life.

Amosse

Amosse said on the 27th Mar, 2012

I want to internet punch you, jamwildway.

Snap Kelly

Snap Kelly said on the 27th Mar, 2012

i despise guetta's productions (it's just not my sound) but fucken hell he's changed the game more than other underground artist these days.. tall poppy syndrome is rife in EDM nowadays. its called 'pop' music because its 'popular'!! all the haters that commented on this article, still took the time to read it and watch the video... good on him for being hugely successful, it may not be everyone's cup of tea (mine included) but i'm sure any pedestrain would know guetta over say villalobos.

special ed

special ed said on the 27th Mar, 2012

^ dude, noone is denying him his success, but you said it yourself. he does pop music, not house music. so sure, he has 'popularised' dance music in America, and I applaud him for that. But he continues to pretend he matters in the real EDM world, and noone buys it. simple

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 27th Mar, 2012

I dunno but my understanding is that any genre can be %u2018pop music%u2019 as long as it is communally embraced by general pop culture

Snap Kelly

Snap Kelly said on the 27th Mar, 2012

@ special ed: tell me more about this "real edm world" you speak of.. guetta produces electronic music that the masses dance to, or are they "not real" either

Its Zyzz

Its Zyzz said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Guetta is not number 1 for nothing.. his music is awesome i listen to it
every day it gets me happy.. nothing beats a good tune of music.. nothing but the beat yall! I <3 DG

SANDSHREW said on the 28th Mar, 2012

NO DAVID BLAINE! STOP PUTTING ORANGE SODA IN MY MOUTH YOU TIME TRAVELLING DEMON!!

jamwildway

jamwildway said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Why be so negative VanillaGorilla & Amosse? It's sad...lol. Guetta didn't get to be 1 overnight, he has been making top music for years. Listen to "Just a Little More Love (Wally Lpez Remix)" from 2001 if you don't believe me. Bam!!!

special ed

special ed said on the 28th Mar, 2012

fair enough, my comment was pretty vague. Dont get me wrong im not really a Guetta hater, i respect what he does (sort of)
Of course what he does is EDM. Commercial EDM, that has become 'pop music' and thats ok, I take my hat off to him for taking dance music to the masses in the US. What i meant was, he doesn't fit into the dj world as we know it anymore, he is out of place alongside someone like AVB who is at his level of popularity because he stayed in the dance music world, aimed at edm fans. Even though what AVB does is commercial, it doesn't need Will.i.am or Nicky Minaj to endorse it
Guetta encompasses the pop world, its just two different ends of the spectrum, thats all im trying to say

Project_Weekend

Project_Weekend said on the 28th Mar, 2012

Haters gonna hate, potatoes gonna potate.