DJ Sneak takes on the Swedish House Mafia

Image for DJ Sneak takes on the Swedish House Mafia

If there’s one thing we’ve learnt about house original DJ Sneak over the years, it’s that he’s never one to mince words. From speaking his mind on David Guetta to inthemix through to his assessment of Paris Hilton’s dance music career, you can always count on straight-talking from Sneak. The latest target in his sights: the Swedish House Mafia.

In an interview with DJ Mag that has done the rounds this weekend, the ‘house gangster’ says of the Swedish trio: “It’s a sad thing when the Swedish House Mafia is being paid big money to come to the US to play house music,” he quipped. “For the record, they do not play house music.” A wave of support for his comment came from other artists like Nick Curly, Joakim, Dave Clarke and Art Department.

Felix da Housecat, however, wasn’t impressed by the swipe, writing on Twitter: “Couldn’t imagine Prince telling MJ or Madonna telling Springsteen or Cyndi Lauper telling Thom Yorke what’s cred and not cred..so STUPID!”

Sneak then took his thoughts to Twitter, which promoted a reply from Swedish House Mafioso Steve Angello: “It’s stupid of you calling out people like that on Twitter. We always respected you but you show a side that’s fucked up.” And this is what followed…

Following Sneak’s comments, Defected boss Simon Dunmore also waded in to voice similar feelings about the Swedes. Sebastian Ingrosso responded to Dunmore: “Simon you just distributed our labels and made money and you hate our fake music? I wonder who’s fake!!!!????” And on it goes, as you can imagine.

Sneak last divided opinion with his lengthy protest to Soundwall about the state of house. “Most so-called producers are just slapping shit together, or better yet, paying people to slap it together, and then expecting some credit for stuff they do not even put any input into creating,” he fumed. “I feel that it’s not really about the music or the content, it’s all about creating some pop shit track that gets played and supported even though it sounds like crap.”

Comments

DJaz_11

DJaz_11 said on the 1st Apr, 2012

Sneak looks like my big toe

Saliki

Saliki said on the 1st Apr, 2012

Sneak, SHM, Deadmau5, Madonna, Skrillex, Rusko, James Blake, etc.
Is there more artist to artist swiping nowadays?
Or is twitter just making it more obvious?

sifu02

sifu02 said on the 1st Apr, 2012

Dj Sneak....the TRUTH! Amen bruthha

deep audio

deep audio said on the 1st Apr, 2012

DJ Sneak SPEAKS THE TRUTH!!!

SANDSLASH

SANDSLASH said on the 1st Apr, 2012

Shoot them with semen rounds

slackas

slackas said on the 1st Apr, 2012

Needs to chill the fk out and listen to Carl Cox's view on the new wave of DJs IMO.

scottyk82

scottyk82 said on the 1st Apr, 2012

Love this guy. Recently downloaded the SHM one DVD. Made me hate those fuckers even more. The masses love that dog shit tho. Sneaks right - it ain't house music!

special ed

special ed said on the 1st Apr, 2012

americans invented house music, so they really shouldn't need a frenchman and a few swedes to show them how its done.
it really is like bill gates showing steve jobs how cool his new samsung tablet is

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

sneak uses his call out tactics as a publicity stunt

deep audio

deep audio said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

once again F**K

Shi**y House Merda!

412nv

412nv said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Saw this on the weekend, was some funny sh!t, though as Junior Sanchez put it, house music nowadays is a matter of perception. To a 15YO its guetta ETC, search on twitter if you want more. IMO Sneak is just jealous they have a massed a massive brand and yes trust the haters on here to agree with the wanna be gangsta.

Maybe Swedish House Mafia sounded better than Swedish Progressive House Mafia.

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

totally agree its a matter of perception. problem is, perception is difficult to learn without an education

lawlietskyy said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Swedish cheese mafia would of been more appropriate.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

What do you think? Post your comment...

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

I'm from Chicago. I'm in to house for the music. I regularly go to Spybar and Smartbar. I agree with Sneak. Maybe not in how he delivers his message- he definitely does it Chicago style- but he is 100% right. SHM is straight garbage, a true affront to real house music and those that love it. They do not create house, or even progressive house. It's trance with some bad techno. The only thing people like me can hope for is that the over-commercialization of 'house' will keep the underground pure. My underground. Real house music.

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

As with any type of success, there will always be jealousy.
Regardless if DJ Sneak classifies the Swedes as "House" or not he shouldn't be airing his negative thoughts on twitter or in DJ Mag.
Dance music genres have been blurred for years. As long as you enjoy the music the DJ that you choose to see live/ buy a CD, what does it matter?
Granted the SHM have become a mainstream and marketable brand and may release unforgivable pop cheese tracks like "Save The World" they have also given us many modern day classics themselves or through the labels they are associated with.
This is coming from someone who has followed Steve, Seb & Axwell well before the SHM supergroup time. I'll also agree that they do come across as arrogant and the clip of Steve playing "an extended bootleg" wasn't ideal.
But everyone really needs to embrace the time we live in (including house pioneers that have been round for 25 years), DJ's are big business and good on them for making to where they are today.

beaumont_music

beaumont_music said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

methinks people like sneak should prob stop trying to tell everyone else the definition of house music. 'house' can mean thousand things.

damdamodam

damdamodam said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Steve Angellos reply from Twitter:
People like different things and that's positive. Imagine if we would all be in ibiza listening to mozart .. Its way of life , things change for the good and for the worse. Instead of bitching about it do something about it , if you think the music sucks make better music and build a fan base and do your thing with the strength of your brand .. Too many stand on the sideline commenting on the game. Join it , own it and go all in .. Its easy to throw up on others and and easy to tell people their music suck , and easy to say it was better back then ... I use to play vinyl from the day I got my decks in 1994 I'm happy I did that. Most of the guys out there has never seen decks and has never made music or run a label for 10 years. I've done it all and still do it. The game won't change cause people complain the game changes when people join it. So stop bitching on my conversation with Dj Sneak and start where we started. We're artists and have things to tell eachother.he might hate me and what I do but in the end of the game not everyone can like everything. I just think its immature to do it on twitter when we can do it in person.in the end of the day its all about music and no beef. That's what dance music is about and that's why its the biggest music genre out there. We built this together and we'll sink it together if we continue to handle success as kids. I die for this and dedicated my whole life to it. Doesn't matter if you like me or not I'll continue this jurney with the love we have from our fans and we'll never stop ! That's it .. Just dropped this convrsation and already wasted way to much time on it .. Much Love -S A

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

None of you understand house. Seriously. That is the problem. 15 year old kids are being taught that SHM is house, and that is how they associate it. It isn't house. At all. This isn't about 'listening to Mozart in Ibiza.' How Lame. This is about dirty basement true house music. The most un-house thing you could do is have the word 'house' in your group's name. Sneak at Smartbar? Nasty house. Digweed at Spybar? Dirty house. Derrick Carter spinning at Smartbar but danicing in the crowd at Spybar? That is house. SHM is fake house. It's simply not house.

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Ease up Dank Analog.
Just because you live in Chicago and go to underground clubs does not make you the world appointed "House Music" definer??
I agree that SHM are not the style of house that you enjoy and are nothing like the old school pioneers (which I also enjoy) that you mention. But music, like technology evolve.
"Dirty Basement House" is a great sound BUT no 15 year old will probably ever like it because to them it sounds dated.
This is not a bad thing as the older generation (this I assume includes you and me) can go and listen to those DJ's without worrying about 18's who don't understand "true" house music. You are happy that this generation don't go to your Spybar or Smartbar, correct?
A name is a name, Swedish HOUSE mafia may not be house as you know or like it.
But DJ SNEAK isn't going to SNEAK up to to anyone now is he?

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

yeah but thats the way it is, these 15 year olds weren't there in the 'begining', this is what they know it as now. and thats ok.
as long as people respect where house came from then really,thats enough, they dont have to emulate it, they dont even have to like it. they create their own interpretation.
being "underground" these days should be seen as a privelage, cause dance music has two very different paths, and if you didn't know better, most would take the wrong path, because its pretty big and shiny

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Come on. It's trance. How can you not hear that? It's like calling Steely Dan heavy metal. Or Nirvana country. It is not house. They are sending the wrong message. People are misinterpreting what house is and not understanding the vibe and the texture for what it really is. It's about what's happening now with the crazy sounds. And don't get me started about the sweet acid house comeback that's happening. Can we at least agree on what acid house means, or does that mean something else now too?

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

And yes that does make me the house music definer.

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Ha Ha, maybe in your own lunch box

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

How about this: Scuba used to be straight dubstep, but now he's killing house (and techno, and breaks, and bass...). Even he knows house. This is not up for debate. There is a clear delineation. If you're on the outside looking in, you won't get it.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Trust me, house isn't for everybody. I understand that. But don't use the word to sell your music. That's all I'm trying to say.

Rogan Josh

Rogan Josh said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Who is Steve Angello?

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

It sounds to me like you worry about labels too much. I mean Digweed plays techno, progressive, minimal and whatever else in his sets. Every sound/genre is influenced by others.
Who cares?? As long as you are having a good time dancing in a dark club to pounding beats.
Life's too short to worry about the music that you DON'T enjoy :-))

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

and old school? I'm talking about Digweed dropping Maceo Plex a couple weeks ago. Right after Maceo Plex played the same venue the week previous. This isn't about the pioneers. This is totally about the real sound right now.

deep audio

deep audio said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Bottom line shm are pop stars! they have nothing to do with house.

TRUE house music will be forever underground
Give me SNEAK, CARTER and FARINA any day over these popstars

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Finally somebody understands what I'm saying

yes Mark Farina is naaasty

damdamodam

damdamodam said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

mark farina @ harbourlife many years ago.. dope..!

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

dude it's still house, just with trance elements. all 4 to the floor is a derivative of house, . its just got a label and a distinct sound. Your interpretation of house is different to what a clueless 15 year old's is. granted SHM are at the very mainstream end of the spectrum but the point is its just peoples taste that lends itself to other's opinion.
Im with you, give me Derrick Carter over SHM anyday. But they are just another branch in the house music tree

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

dude it's not house. It is not house. It's big room anthemic whatever else but not house. There is no bounce. There is no groove. There is no funk. It's all build and very anticlimactic. This is a joke. Just like 'electro house' has very little to do with electro. Or house. When does this end? SHM is peddling snake oil. I am not lying. Take the red pill dammit. Please. I am showing you the real way. Sneak is pissed that you're all going to dance music hell. Check out my new group, American Trance Organized Crime Outfit.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

4 to the floor is derivative of Kraftwerk and NEU! btw. And the separate but equal techno.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

SHM is trance. Renaissance is progressive house. Hernan Cattaneo is progressive house. SHM has no true house elements other than maybe a pattern or 2, but certainly not structurally.

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

im not arguing with you that it isn't shit. I know its shit. but you're using you taste, and supposed 'experience' to try and justify that anything else, outside of your opinion is wrong.
Its not your cup of tea (its not mine either) but be appreciative of your tastes, and accepting other forms of edm, rather than jaded and selfish.
Ive been in this game a lot longer than most people here, (probably you too) and i appreciate where i came from musically, and accept where its going.

but at the end of the day, my original point was, House music was invented in your country, its a shame it takes people like Guetta and SHM to deliver to the masses there.
But the truth is you cant have popular music without pop

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

That is totally fine. But this is like calling Zeppelin jazz. If you're into house like I am then you'll understand how serious this is. It's not about wether the music is shit or not, it's about giving people the wrong impression about what house truly is and means. And I don't mean old school. I mean house right now. Tracks we hear live that won't be released for months. Tracks we hear live that we've never heard before. The vibe is evolving, no doubt, but not the way SHM would have you believe. What makes their music house? The snare? What part of any song they make is house?

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

dance music is divided down the middle, theres no escaping that. theres the huge commercial mainstream side, and theres the true club focused side.
do you care that the kids that are exposed to the mainstream side of things dont "get" real house, and they like SHM, Guetta, Skrillex, Deadmau5?
discovering music is a choice, its all out there for people to choose themeselves. If a kid is naive enough to discover dance music through a SHM video on MTV, thats his/her loss.
You have discovered and enjoy the pure form of house, you dont have to share it. Its up to the individual to find themself.

/end philosophical rant/

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Division? Yes. But house is only on ONE side of that division, not both. That is why it's house. It is the very fiber that makes it house music.

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Dude, this is getting real boring. You say tomateo I say tomato.Why is someone that lives in "Chicago" joined our little Website in April 2012 care so much about what us Aussies think?
Don't worry about labels and what the general (American) population listens and thinks is house music. You'll have your underground scene and if anything the Swedes will keep your scene just the way you like it.

Anyway I'm off to listen to some progressive, acid, minimal, jackin, tough, tech, underground, trouse HOUSE

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Deadmau5 was great in '04 to maybe '05, I'll even give him '06. But he just stayed in a rut and never went anywhere. Even Dubfire left Deep Dish because it was stagnant and the sound was over. And Deep Dish was completely incredible. But now Dubfire is releasing some of the most cutting edge music today, mostly techno, but with more in common with house than SHM.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

American? I know Brits, Brazilians, Germans, French, Israelis, Palestinians, Indians (east), Indians (native Americans), Pakistanis, Polish, Mexicans, Puerto Ricans, Spaniards, Vietnamese, Japanese, Chinese, and even Canadians that agree with me 100%.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Most Americans don't even get house. It's the non-Americans I always meet that hear the same things I hear. I'm off to listen to Subb-An Dance Under the Blue Moon, Radio Fritz March 2012 and Darren Emerson's March 2012 mix. Let me know if you want some SoundCloud links. I'll probably listen to Scuba's Essential BBC Radio 1 mix just for balance.

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

I get what your trying to say. The music SHM, Guetta etc make is 'pop', far from what house music in its purist form is about, your saying SHM should be allowed to label what they make "house"
but you're taking the term 'house music' too literal. we all know its roots we all know what defines house. but like it or not, its way past that now. .Guetta makes house music (commercial pop house), SHM make house music (big anthemic trance influenced house), Theo parrish makes house music (deep soulful house)
the common theme is the 4 to the floor and the clap and the high hat, thats always been the common thread in house, the various elements and labels that split it into different genres follow later

412nv

412nv said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

In what universe is SHM trance? Trouse maybe but Trance HA. Thats like saying beiber is a west coast rapper cause he says baby in once of his songs.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

It's techno and trance, not house. It is a misnomer. I'm only this hot and bothered because I have a true, deep love for all real house. It's not for dabblers. SHM doesn't punch you in the stomach like true house. This isn't like the jungle vs DnB debate. Their music is 1998 trance. Worse than Oakenfold.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

What makes it trance: the chords, the structure, the beat, the build, the overall sound, the vocals, the sequencing, the programming, etc etc etc

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

lack of feel, lack of groove, lack of bounce, lack of funk, lack of dirt, lack of crunch, lack of fun

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

lack of that saweet housey lag, you know what I'm talking about

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Thanks for the offer but I don't need Soundcloud links. I know and understand the music and DJ's you are talking about. I too have seen and enjoyed Derrick Carter, Darren Emerson, Mark Farina etc etc and own plenty of Renaissance CD's. And yes they are nothing like SHM.
Just don't be so narrow minded about your style of music. Diversity is a good thing, regardless if you enjoy certain styles/genres and so forth.
Just like you said about Deadmau5, I much prefer the music that Axwell & Co produced in 04,05 before the commercial mainstream dance music explosion

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

This ridiculousness is doing as much damage to the scene as dubstep. A generation is going to be ruined when there is so much incredible music being released right now. It hasn't been this good since the early 2000's, and people aren't realizing it. Sonically the scene is moving in incredible directions, and I want more people to be a part of it. SHM is going to desensitize vulnerable people and ruin them for EDM forever, and will never be able to associate house properly.

Jazzpah

Jazzpah said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

No one who didn't care before then is going to care now. Sneak just shut up. You only seem like a less successful jealous hater now

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

You said it, I am with you 100% on Dubstep it is awful. But it is just modern day D+B the sound is evolving for the pop generation. Clearly not for better the though.

Let's just agree to disagree. You listen to your 'true' house music and Ill listen to that plus SMH, trance and whatever style takes my fancy at the time.

patrickbateman

patrickbateman said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

it is pop music

ask marsall jefferson, lil louis, dj pierre, etc if they think it's house. those guys invented house

special ed

special ed said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

all that comment has done has exposed a flaw in your argument.

lawlietskyy said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

Is it still called house music if i play it in my car?

nico1

nico1 said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

isnt the crap they play just poppy big room? i believe that is the definition we have been looking for!!

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

That is exactly how I would describe it.

beaumont_music

beaumont_music said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

wow, this is a loaded topic lol. to me (being born in 1982 and getting into electronic music at the age of 16) house music is all about stuff like thomas bangalter/dj falcon/cosmo vitalli and all them guys :) stuff that has an obvious debt to disco and funk records of the 70s and 80s and armed with a 'groove'. but i still enjoy other types of house music.. to someone of another generation, the definition of house music is probably different (shock!) - is this difficult for people to understand, lol? i wish the purists would: 1) get off their high horses, and 2) make a good track from scratch and promote it if they they want to be so fucking righteous.. trolls are all talk and no action.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

This is not a loaded topic. It either is house or it's not. SHM is not house. Not sure how much clearer it could be. I guess those of us that espouse and expose the truth are trolls. I'm a house troll. So is Sneak. Saying SHM is house is like saying the sky is red. It is fundamentally and objectively wrong, and those that don't understand what house is really about are being misled by SHM and the like. Sorry. There are no different interpretations of house. That's what has always kept it house. It never changed. There is no debate like this about techno. People need to know they're being lied to about what house is.

Ruskhouse

Ruskhouse said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

i'm happy that people who know real music know it. if everyone fucking knew it it wouldn't be fun anymore. let the kids have their house mafias. quite happy with listening to derrick may, move d, omar s & seth troxler to name a few. i'm also only 20 so there is hope for all ha

angy said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

special ed wins the thread. And Dank Analog, you're just playing semantics. Of course it's house, even if it's a drastically watered-down version of where it originated from (or even a watered down version on what SMH themselves used to produce).

As much as this brought the LOLz and I enjoyed seeing Sneak taking shots at SMH, still, house music takes so manyshapes and forms and would be pretty fucking boring if Sneak was the one who was defining the parameters of the genre. DNW!

Guetta and SMH and Skrillex and co aren't damaging anything, they're creating music for people who would never have listened to quality electronic music in the first place (ie their audience in the States). Some of those might go on to become actual enthusiasts, the others didn't "get it" before and still won't "get it" after, no loss.

Dank Analog said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

That's a pretty simplistic view. I'm still waiting for ANYBODY to explain to me what makes SHM house. Somebody please throw me a bone. Prove me wrong. It's like your using the word 'house' as a generic term for EDM. Like the word 'techno' used to be to the masses. What part of SHM's sound is house?

technoterrorist

technoterrorist said on the 2nd Apr, 2012

DUUUUDE!!! There are elements of house in it, just like there are elements of house in progressive house (is that an allowed "interpretation" of house by you?)
Just get over yourself, no one is saying that the SHM plays anything like the proper jacking original house that you are talking about. But times change, just like Turntables gave way for CDJ's and CDJ's will become obsolete down the track when everyone will play on ableton, scratch live etc etc.

sonicc

sonicc said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Dj Sneak will jack them.

Morecowbell

Morecowbell said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Angy is spot on, as usual. The parameters of a genre are never defined by one artist alone. Personally, I think of Guetta, SHM, Skrillex and co as simply 'pop', but within wide parameters of the word. It's made for the (American) masses.
Sneak really doesn't have much to worry about. The cheese-driven artists will continue to pump out their brand of commercial rubbish to the kids in the US while the rest of us are left alone to get deep to the more pure forms of house, techno etc.

412nv

412nv said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

FFS Dank Analog, No one is saying is is pure house, deep house ETC though its a type of house music (PROGRESSIVE HOUSE) take a look at beatport. No there are different genres which clearly your arent happy with. You argument yesterday is that they play Trance, Its the exact same thing, just opposite, its not trance though its a type of trance. Fact of the matter is sneak called them out as fakes, most likely for publicity as his followers on twitter went up by 3000

camlv

camlv said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Man what a shit storm DJ Sneak has unleashed. As for the problems with the name...

an ITM history lesson

They didn't even come up with the name themselves.

Ruskhouse

Ruskhouse said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Can someone give Morecowbell some more cowbell for his brilliant post?

yudhi

yudhi said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Tempted to get sucked into this one

cassadyoat

cassadyoat said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

this whole build a brand thing is bs, it comes from business ideology, not music ideology.

robii j

robii j said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Real electronic music is dead. Those few that have been in the scene for long enough know exactly what is happening. Not only sneak, but take a look
At many others such as Paul van dyk. Even he says that what is termed house music these days, and I quote, "really cheesy shit music"... otherwise known as pop. This new craze of music is just for the money. Everyone wants a song they can sing a long to, but those that only see "house" music as that will never appreciate it in its real essence and what it can really do. Even just going through the beat port top 100 is depressing. I don't even know how some of the shit there makes it to top 100. Or better yet, nearly every track produced is categorized as progressive house yet there is nothing progressive about it! Real dance music is dead!

Groovenuts

Groovenuts said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Sneak is following a world trend of being able to speak up and speak your mind, just like the many occupy movements stem from the worlds lack of faith for our governments, so to does other producer / Dj's (like dj sneak) for major labels. It's the over produced / over compressed / autotuned/ melodyned to the fuck SHM music, paired with the fake pre-recorded talentless gigs that make it such a sad state if affairs. What do you hear when you go to a cheesy venue? SHM ! Young kids are so used to hearing this 4 chord tinny shit that they don't know any better, they've never experienced a real groove, a real party with soul and love. There is more to this than just 'publicity' it's a lack of faith and a revolution. We are not the haters, but on the contrary the lovers of true house music. The underground will always remain in some way shape or form 'the underground' but there is no reason why we cannot bring great music to the pop forefront. Let us not reflect on the true origins of this rad genre called 'house' but bury this puss that some call pop!

adzo99

adzo99 said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

lol house fags at it again - house is like the c sharp of dance music - you are able to adapt just about anything into the style. Due to this there are many shades, the Swedish House Mafia somehow managed to overlook the awsome techno in the their country and decided to make shite faux prog melodic house with far too many reach for the lasers moments.

scottyk82

scottyk82 said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Sneak is the only winner in this thread. Finally someone who isn't buying into the Swedish dick suckin train. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but Sneak Sosa - his opinion has actual worth. The man inspired real artists such as Basement Jaxx, Armand Van Helden and Daft Punk. FFS he even wrote lyrics for em, was named in one of their tracks and starred in the burnin' video. I totally understand what he is saying. Fuck knows what Angello is crapping on about (That fucker is from Greece anyway). SHM is in there with Paris Hilton. Self proclamation is pathetic. Yes someone else started calling them SHM, but they chose to run with it, they chose to release pop songs under that moniker. They chose to hire a PR team, ghostwriters for their tracks and to just be douche bags in general. Sneak has stood the test of time, is a self made man and inspired so many. We'll see how long these Swedish bullshit maggots stay around for!

ProjectwJs

ProjectwJs said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Fucking so many similes in this discussion....

mmmkay

mmmkay said on the 3rd Apr, 2012

Plain and simple- its the dumbing down of American Black Music so white kids will like it. Before they didn't need to because hip-hop and rock controlled the airwaves - but now that dance music is becoming even more popular it must be even more white washed. No disrespect to anyone- just saying.

Dank Analog said on the 4th Apr, 2012

I give up. Real PROGRESSIVE HOUSE was actually in fact both progressive and house. And once again, for the record, I AM NOT talking about 'jackin' original house.' I am talking about what is happening in house music RIGHT NOW, as in what is truly hot and not what is being sold to you. In all it's forms house is alive and well. But SHM lacks anything resembling house. For those of you that understand, I applaud you. For those that don't, when you do eventually hear it the click will happen and you will finally know what I'm talking about.

SANDSHREW said on the 4th Apr, 2012

DEPRIVE ME OF MY EVERLASTING LIFE

RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors said on the 4th Apr, 2012

SHM are totally trance you guys

RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors said on the 4th Apr, 2012

house has a really narrow definition that hasn't changed in 30 years but trance can be basically anything I don't like

bulldozer

bulldozer said on the 5th Apr, 2012

Dank Analog said on the 5th Apr, 2012

RunningWithScissors- thank goodness there's people like you that get it. I was about to lose hope. You're assessment is spot on. Sooooooo many people are being misled about what house is. And yet NOBODY has given me ANY example of how SHM is house except for "waaahhh it's open to interpretation blah blah blah house is whatever you want it to be blah blah blah" which is absolutely not true.

Dank Analog said on the 5th Apr, 2012

soundcloud . com/djmarkfarina/mark-farina-live-get

Dank Analog said on the 5th Apr, 2012

House music is a constant. It always has been, and that has always been what differentiated it and made it house. Just because you want to call what you do "house" doesn't mean it is. The true fans know. It is clearly not open to interpretation. Like RunningWithScissors said, the definition hasn't changed in 30 years. Believe me- SHM hasn't changed the game, they're just pretenders and wouldn't know a real house groove if it bit them in the rear end.

BMoney

BMoney said on the 7th Apr, 2012

Sneak knows house, seeing he is one himself.

special ed

special ed said on the 10th Apr, 2012

and you haven't given an example of how it ISN'T
house music = repetitive 4/4 kick drum / shm - check
house music = high hats/ shm - check
house music = baseline (chord progression irrelevant)/ shm - check
house music = melodic chords (can be anything from percussion to synths)/ shm = check
the more you go on, the more you show that you just have this tunnel vison idea of what house music is supposed to be.
seriously, give up

SHM make cheesy commercial shit house music. the end

FreeWeekend

FreeWeekend said on the 29th May, 2012

he came from the times of eating macdonalds behind the decks as well clearly

Dank Analog_isatwat

Dank Analog_isatwat said on the 30th May, 2012

@Dank Analog, your an idiot. How is SHM anything at all like trance? Please explain...

xilli

xilli said on the 30th May, 2012

@Dark - SHM is not trance, are you on crack? Do you even listen to Trance? I guess not since you clearly hate everything apart from 'True oldschool thumping dirty dothefuckingwormontheclubfloor house'.

kane2188

kane2188 said on the 30th May, 2012

the only house shm play is shithouse

diet_coke

diet_coke said on the 2nd Jun, 2012

Hey Dark Analog your posts pissed me off so much I had to register for this web site to reply to you.

First of all don't be a house elitist punk and say everything I don't like is "trance music".

SHM is pop house or commercial house. It's still house.

Secondly stop calling this shit trance music. Real trance music is this: youtube dot com/watch?v=v1kCsLlf-tY

I like house music and listen to a lot of it but don't mess with my trance music.

Unknown2u

Unknown2u said on the 8th Jun, 2012

@ Dark Analog !!!!!!....... really dude i mean really??????? Shameful that you even can say "And yes that does make me the house music definer".
I have prob. been around house music before you knew your ABC's. House music EVOLVED FROM DISCO IN NYC! Chicago gave it a name and built on it! Know your facts.
fyi Smartbar and Spybar are striaght garbage venues Spybar more and any goof can get into those joints. real joints are the ones that don't let every fool into the place that does not look or act the part.
Whatever you think, SHM is a version/form of house music. This has been going on forever. When House music first came we could have still called it disco but we coined it here. Back then drum machines and sounds where very minimal comparied to today so yeah it's called evolution. When Acid House came out did you hate cause it was a new version/form of House Music? This is the same thing. The reason it is listed as Proggy is because they can keep adding Genre versions as new sound is introduced but it is to confusing for the masses and where does it stop. So Dark don't have the blinders on and take it for what it is and it is a version/form of DISCO Evolved to House. Hope you understand that. Ido agree with Sneak and what he is sayin. " fake Dj" has no respect for the people that pay big money to see him. Respect the fans respect the music as you rep it.

Codi

Codi said on the 22nd Jun, 2012

Browsing loosely through the comments, it seems everyone is mad about SHM not being house music? Since when is it not house music? If someone could explain with examples, please.

RunningWithScissors

RunningWithScissors said on the 20th Sep, 2012

san dimas high school football rules

There are 6 more comments. View them all