Avicii's huge new stage show, for arenas only

Image for Avicii's huge new stage show, for arenas only

Back in March, Swedish superstar Avicii told Billboard: “I’m premiering my first live show at Coachella – which is gonna be amazing.” Over the last two weekends, the DJ did indeed close out the Sahara Tent on Sunday with a flashy new production at centre stage.

Hard-touring photographer Rukes was there to shoot the festival, and he passed over a photo gallery to inthemix of the show in full flight. Fans crammed in under the marquee saw a towering mask open to reveal Avicii perched in the ‘skull’, surrounded by sheer video screens and lights. “I’m inspired by how Deadmau5 brought it when he did his cube set-up,” the Swede told Rolling Stone. “All of that was new and that was super cool.”

The mask set-up will now be packed into a fleet of semi-trailers and taken around North America on a comprehensive ‘all-arena’ tour. It kicks off in Houston, Texas, on Thursday 17 May and you only have to be 16 and over to get involved. “We’ve put a lot of effort and money into it,” Avicii told Rolling Stone. “This is gonna be something no one’s ever done before in EDM – not even close on this scale. And this production really needs those really, really big spaces.”

Avicii and his super-sized production encountered some criticism on Sunday, when other acts booked for the Sahara Tent at Coachella claimed he’d forced a timetable shuffle. As Feed Me put it: “Nice one to Avicii for having everyone in the Sahara tents set times moved so he doesn’t have to compete with Snoop and Dr. Dre’s performance.” The headliner responded with: “I just landed, this is the first I hear of any of this. This wasn’t my decision so I don’t know why you’re attacking me personally.”

As we examined in this in-depth feature back in March, the number of elaborate custom stage shows in dance music is multiplying at a furious rate. How do you think this one looks?

Comments

oliversphotos

oliversphotos said on the 26th Apr, 2012

When you've got Tobin, Squarepusher or Sbtrkt to compare this to, it doesn't even rate.

josh_goods

josh_goods said on the 26th Apr, 2012

wow, useless and uninspiring... 'Brilliant !!' ?
its just a f**king mask. this is the point we all realise he is just some idiot DJ. that is just soooooo stupid. its a big mask. fuckin amazing bro

Ben Royal

Ben Royal said on the 26th Apr, 2012

I love Avicii but that is one of the most pointless things I have ever seen. The mask has absolutely nothing to do with Avicii as an artist and its just white wood - it doesn't light up separately and he is waaaay too high above the audience. They could have had him on top of a big white wooden kitten and it would be the same thing.
Where were the lasers shooting out of the eyes? Given he is known for epic synth chords I was expecting him atop/behind maybe a giant vertical piano keyboard with each key being a separate light panel that could play the chords of the big synth hooks and flash insanely he rest of the time. This looks like it was rushed together very, very quickly to capitalise on his current US success with little consideration given to ingenuity or relevance. The Chemical Brothers overhead spiral show thing blows this out of the water.

khas

khas said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Still better than being able to make out Avicii's head

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 26th Apr, 2012

i like that levels song

jerry2234

jerry2234 said on the 26th Apr, 2012

I think the bigger issue here is the damage going to be done by the media's misrepresentation of dance music when some 16 yo OD's. Keep it at least 18 plus

baines

baines said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Avicii is a dick, just like those other swede's, and how is this classified as a live show?? hes doin the same shit but on some dumb head thing.

DHindahouse

DHindahouse said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Can someone remind me how Avicii got so big so quickly, and also seems loved and hated in equal measure in the same short time span?

angy said on the 26th Apr, 2012

I wouldn't go ITM forum comments DHindahouse, seriously

angy said on the 26th Apr, 2012

And the setup looks pretty fucking spectacular to me, Why you'd compare Tobin, Squarepusher or SBTRKT to Avicii of all people is beyond me.

412nv

412nv said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Not what i was expecting from his twiter feed, Was going to be the best live show they had been working on it for months and then that..... Still better than what any of you fuckers have played in, but yet you sit here and hate........ Also Rukes, the man can take a photo

sifu02

sifu02 said on the 26th Apr, 2012

Yawn....still much better than Skrillex's spaceship...

HarveyS

HarveyS said on the 30th Apr, 2012

Lame. Just let the music speak for itself

donkeydrop

donkeydrop said on the 30th Apr, 2012

If only it was giant troll face with lazors shooting from the yes during the breakdown in the epic big room house music!

AstralAnimal

AstralAnimal said on the 2nd Aug, 2012

Excellent! Hope he brings it to Sydney for Stereosonic 2012. YEAH!