Not cool: Dolphins died after rave-goers gave them drugs
Mon 7th May, 2012 News 1607 viewsin
Regular inthemix readers might remember a story from last year with a particularly bizarre (and ultimately sad) headline: Rave kills dolphin. At the time, it was that thought that the loud music from a rave, held in a Swiss marine park, had caused eight year old dolphin Shadow to die. But nearly six months on from the first reports of Shadow’s death, a leaked toxicology report has revealed that Shadow, alongside a second dolphin Chelmers, actually died after being given heroin substitute Buprenorphine.
For no discernible reason other than the fact that people can be jerks, it’s now believed that rave-goers drugged and killed the two dolphins. “The reason is that dolphins are conscious breathers, which means they actively decide when to come to the surface to breathe,” explained marine biologist Cornelis van Elk (via The Telegraph). “Drugging them with opiates causes this part of the brain to switch off, with fatal consequences.”
A zooekeeper at The Connyland marine park in Lipperswil, Switzerland described a slow and painful death for the mammals. “He was drifting under the water and was clearly in trouble and so we jumped into the water. We tried to hold him. He was shaking all over and was foaming at the mouth,” Connyland employee Nadja Gasser said. “The death went on for over an hour. It was horrendous. I have not been able to sleep since.” So much for DBAC, ravers.