Smokin Joe Mekhael: "I have no right to call myself World Record Holder"

Image for Smokin Joe Mekhael: "I have no right to call myself World Record Holder"

In a devastating turn of events for one of the inthemix community’s most cherished icons, dance music’s most electrifying man and all round good guy Smokin Joe Mekhael has announced that he is relinquishing the title of The Marathon DJ Champion of the World.

Smokin Joe explained on his Facebook that in some phenomenally bad luck, it has come to his attention that a DJ in California set the Guinness record for the longest DJ set on October 8 2011, when he clocked up 150 hours at the decks – just 18 more than Joe. However, the record was not verified and the Guinness website not updated until this year, long after Joe had completed his attempt with the mistaken belief that he had sailed past the previous record set by Brazil’s DJ King (120 hours and 19 minutes) and earned the title.

But being the resilient and ever-positive man he is, Joe has vowed to take on the record again in December of this year. This also means that current contender for the record, Brisbane’s DJ Hertz, will have to stay at the decks for over 150 hours in total if he wishes to become the new Marathon DJ Champion. Whatever happens, in the eyes of inthemix Smokin Joe Mekhael will always be the people’s champion. You can read his full account below.

It has just come to my attention that Rene Brunner set a new Guinness world record of 150 hours in October last year and that the Guinness website wasn’t updated until early this year, well after I completed my marathon set. While I thought that I had set a new world record of 132 hours in December, the time to beat was in fact 150 hours.

What this means is that I have no right to call myself The Guinness World Record Holder or The Marathon DJ Champion of the World. I have put the belt away and I’m going to remove it from all of my promotional material. I’d like to congratulate Rene Brunner for breaking the record and with DJ Hertz the best of luck with his attempt. I’d also like to apologise to everyone for claiming to be something that I’m not. Although I acted in good faith and I honestly thought that I had broken the record, I never did.

I must say that I was very shocked and disappointed when I read this. It felt like those five and a half days of dedication were for nothing and I felt like a fraud for calling myself the champ for the past four months. The moment when I thought that I had broken the record was the happiest moment of my life, and now it feels like none of it was real. But then I realised how it brought people from the scene together, how it sent out vibrations of peace and love all over the world and how it really tested my mental strength. Last year, I went well beyond what I thought the record was but when it comes to the crunch, I failed. This failure has only strengthened my resolve and later this year, I guarantee that I will set a new Guinness world record for the longest DJ set in history with your help.

Every great work, every big accomplishment, has been brought into manifestation through holding to the vision, and often just before the big achievement, comes apparent failure and discouragement.

#MAKEYOURDREAMSREALITY!
#WOOOOOOO!

Comments

special ed

special ed said on the 8th May, 2012

still a winner in our eyes

djgooglemaps

djgooglemaps said on the 8th May, 2012

SMOKIN JOE YA MADD DOGG YOU ARE A VISION ALL I KNOW IS THAT WHEN I THINK OF GOING THE DISTANCE I THINK OF GOING SMOKIN JOE MEKHAEL

Ruthykins

Ruthykins said on the 8th May, 2012

such a great attitude!

katiecunningham

katiecunningham said on the 8th May, 2012

Smokin Joe is, and forever will be, the maddest of dogs. WOOOOOOOO!

Zodiac

Zodiac said on the 8th May, 2012

It will be even sweeter when you smash the record this year SJM!

davecw

davecw said on the 8th May, 2012

I gotta not be the only one who loled.

khas

khas said on the 8th May, 2012

Drugs are bad, mmkay

rancho

rancho said on the 8th May, 2012

it must have been a torturous test of physical and mental strength, i can't believe he's willing to go for it again so soon. what a fucking champ, that's some serious grit.

B_e_de

B_e_de said on the 8th May, 2012

Can't beat the record in 130 hours? It's cool, he'll just do 300 instead.

SPOKEYDOKEY

SPOKEYDOKEY said on the 8th May, 2012

Yep, you're a champ Smokin Joe, keep at it :)

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 8th May, 2012

what happened to SJM liking all comments positively relating to him??...it made me feel like i was making a difference

DJ Charlie P

DJ Charlie P said on the 8th May, 2012

have support DJ you rock the house

AdamMadd

AdamMadd said on the 8th May, 2012

To Smokin Joe: Mate, thats a damn shame, and I wish you all the best in your next attempt. I'm sure you will get through! To Hertz: Keep going there mate, you will get there! Both of you, it takes some serious mental and physical strength to pull of any feat like a world record attempt, whether you make it through or not, you both deserve serious respect!

pomrocks

pomrocks said on the 8th May, 2012

Ummmm the article is pretty much just SJM's statement......

PhatD

PhatD said on the 8th May, 2012

AdamMadd = DJ Hertz

Gruso

Gruso said on the 8th May, 2012

> "And who the hell wrote this article, one of the most biased pieces of crud I've read in a long time! I thought news was supposed to be unbiased.. Nothing like this piece of trash! There's more "opinion" in this article than "news"..!! How the hell do articles like this get approved on ITM?? Who is paying who to print this crap?"

u madd

katiecunningham

katiecunningham said on the 8th May, 2012

..Eh? Smokin Joe is pretty well-liked around here, just saying that it's a shame this happened to him. Don't really see any bias in describing a crappy turn of events as crappy.

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 9th May, 2012

thanks smokin joe with my like...it warmed my heart on a cold wed morning

macc4

macc4 said on the 9th May, 2012

Smoking Joe is so long, it really hertz

Chingy

Chingy said on the 9th May, 2012

at least u can say you tried and failed........

Chingy

Chingy said on the 9th May, 2012

so many people knew before you were pushed into publicising the truth u never were the ''record holder''...... yet u openly ran off the name of it in so many ways......I guess the truth HERTZ aye?????

special ed

special ed said on the 12th May, 2012

^ and this is why noone on itm is showing much support for dj hertz, cause he has dickhead friends like you

Gruso

Gruso said on the 13th May, 2012

So did anyone actually visit the URL from the video feed?

Yeah, he madd.