TEED: “Very few dance albums have stood the test of time”

Image for TEED: “Very few dance albums have stood the test of time”

While talking up his forthcoming debut LP Trouble, UK producer Totally Enormous Extinct Dinosaurs has had to answer to why it’s taken him so long to release a full-length album. A few years and five EPs after hitting the scene, TEED’s Orlando Higginbottom has explained that the wait for his debut album is down to his concern that “very few dance albums have stood the test of time”.

Speaking to Fact magazine, the headpiece-adorned Brit expressed his belief that making a dance album with longevity is no mean feat. “The main challenge I set myself was to make a dance album with some shelf-life”, he explained. “It seems that there have been very few dance albums in dance music history that have stood the test of any time at all. It’s always been about individual tracks.”

Of course, Higginbottom’s not the first to raise the thorny matter of whether dance music needs albums. Around this time last year, we got stuck into the issue and collected the $0.02 of several producers. Among them was local Sam La More, who sounded the death knell and declared “the album is dead, man”. But that’s not an opinion shared by everyone – speaking to inthemix earlier this month, Hot Chip’s Alexis Taylor defended the prospects of LPs. “Maybe it’s out dated, maybe it’s outmoded, but I still like them myself. So I don’t want to give up on them just because of the invention of mp3s and iTunes and Spotify and shorter attention spans,” Taylor explained. “You just have to hope there are still some people who really enjoy it despite all of that.”

At any rate, we can gauge whether Trouble is destined to stand the test of time when it’s released next month, on June 11.

Comments

cheechvda

cheechvda said on the 21st May, 2012

Incredibly talented guy

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 21st May, 2012

it is an outdated form of releasing music however i find itunes or mp3 releases to be anti climactic nothing compares to the excitement of an LP Launch

JackT

JackT said on the 21st May, 2012

When your name is Orlando Higginbottom, you should go with your real name, haha.

dirtyepic

dirtyepic said on the 21st May, 2012

Is it listeners' shortened attention spans, or the inability of producers to come up with a sustained message and sense of voice and feel that's forcing the death of the album? This makes me sad - I remember being drawn into dance music culture through records like dubnobasswithmyheadman by Underworld or Mezzanine by Massive Attack - albums are unique in that they're an opportunity for artists to create a musical experience that's truly immersive - narrative and thematic elements kind of get lost, thrown to the wayside, with the release of singles and EPs, there simply isn't enough time to truly create something special.I dunno. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for by being a dance music enthusiast.

katiecunningham

katiecunningham said on the 21st May, 2012

^^ Yeah, I think it's a two way street. Sure, part of the problem is that people go through so much music these days that they only want an artists best tracks and not album filler, but I think a lot of producers use that as an excuse to make a couple of big singles and really neglect the rest of the LP. Of course people aren't going to bother much with listening to a whole album if the artists don't bother much with making it good.

Do like TEED though, reckon the album will be a goodie.

cheechvda

cheechvda said on the 21st May, 2012

@Dirty Epic.Perhaps you should try Roman Flugel or Nic Jaars Album.There are people still making those kinds of albums you are talking about....

bradj88

bradj88 said on the 21st May, 2012

Love this guys music. Has he played in Australia yet? I know he was was supposed to play field day but bailed..

m_xt

m_xt said on the 21st May, 2012

Plenty of EDM albums have stood the test of time. Can't be bothered naming them but I would say there is a considerable number.