Excision: “I do not buy fake Facebook fans”

Image for Excision: “I do not buy fake Facebook fans”

Over the last couple of days, you might’ve seen a user-designed image doing the internet rounds that claims some of the biggest names in dance music are buying ‘fake fans’. The composite of Facebook profile pages for David Guetta, Excision, Steve Aoki, Skrillex, Avicii and Deadmau5 shows that each artist’s ‘Most Popular City’ is Mexico City. Despite a central population of over nine million people and a growing market for dance music, the implication is that Mexico City couldn’t generate that many legitimate likes.

As expected, an army of keyboard warriors have rallied behind this image as iron-proof of foul play, inciting dubstep star Excision to reply with a lengthy Facebook post. His leading point: the ‘Most Popular’ tally shows where an artist has received the most Likes on a given week (you’ll see from the ‘BUSTED’ image that the screenshots weren’t all taken on the same date), not overall.

“[The image] claims that that myself, Deadmau5, Skrillex, Avicii, Steve Aoki, and David Guetta are all buying fake fans from Mexico,” Excision writes. “I would like to point out that no, I do not buy fake fans. It’s very unlikely that the other artists do either. The first obvious thing that nearly everyone has gotten wrong when analyzing this image is that this statistic is showing you the where the artist has received the most new likes on a given week. This is not an overall fan count rank by city. Even one of the most prominent magazines in EDM managed to miss that. Mexico in fact counts for less than 4% of my fan base. Many of you will find it interesting to see regardless, as it’s basically a breakdown of where all the core bass music fans in the world are from!”

Excision goes on to argue that a “decently well known artist” will have more success running a legitimate campaign through Facebook ads. He also talks up Mexico as an emergent territory for bass music. “Mexico City has an extremely fast growing scene,” he writes. “Downlink and Noisia just played there to a huge crowd and the promoters went so far as to spray paint massive buildings and billboards with their names to promote the event. I’m sure Skrillex etc. have played even bigger shows there.” You can read Excision’s full reply over at his Facebook page.

Comments

Walter_Juan

Walter_Juan said on the 29th May, 2012

That's right Excision, you don't buy the fake Facebook fans as your agent/manager does that for you. ;)

DJAlfieSydney

DJAlfieSydney said on the 29th May, 2012

So what happened then? This week everyone in Mexico discovered facebook and liked all these artists pages?

JackT

JackT said on the 29th May, 2012

^^^ The screenshots aren't all from the same week.

khas

khas said on the 29th May, 2012

I could swear this story is old. But while we're on topic, to what end could buying fans possibly gain you?

SKOOCH

SKOOCH said on the 29th May, 2012

the guy that made that image has it wrong....its not the city in which most likes are attributed to....

That statistic shows where most people are talking ("People talking about") about a specific page....

you dont need to be a fan to talk about a page...this statistic picks up @ mentions...pretty much any interaction with a page or page related content....

JoeMayberry

JoeMayberry said on the 29th May, 2012

It's probably also worth pointing out this is where the IP address registers, not necessarily the actual location (which isn't always correct)

Mexico city could be a hub for for internet providers all over the US

Funkedub

Funkedub said on the 29th May, 2012

What what?! Famous DJs not actually as incredibly famous as might be believed ... i better get up in arms about this!!!

JackT

JackT said on the 29th May, 2012

khas, Excision's reply was in the last 24 hours, so?

jamwildway

jamwildway said on the 29th May, 2012

Who cares? Excision is a nobody.

djgooglemaps

djgooglemaps said on the 29th May, 2012

WHO THE FUCK IS EXCISION AND HOW DO I BECOME A FAN OF HIM DO I HAVE TO MOVE TO MEXICO WILL THERE BE A FEW MEXICANS AND MAYBE SOME MEXICAN FOOD FOR ME TO EAT PLZ ANSWER INTHEMEX PLZ

angy said on the 29th May, 2012

He's not a "nobody", just cause you trolls haven't heard of him. Personally I thought that the assumption that just because they got some votes from Mexico, they'd "bought" them, was kinda disgusting.

F_Grimes

F_Grimes said on the 30th May, 2012

After reading quite a few articles with people posting "who is he?/he's a nobody", I swear 90% of ITM doesn't know any dance music besides Eric Prydz and Daft Punk.

DANCINGDI

DANCINGDI said on the 31st May, 2012

Don't know why this is surprising, It's been going on forever, every time someone says "Like me" and I will give you ......... ! One of the many things I hate about facebook. With being a breeding ground for stalkers as top of that list !

This actually seems like a "Look at me " moment :lol:

CircusMidget

CircusMidget said on the 31st May, 2012

at least he isn't orange like most fake tans

Wowk

Wowk said on the 3rd Jun, 2012

I'd have believed he was buying fake fans, I didn't think anyone had terrible enough taste in music to ACTUALLY like him.