Steve Angello delivers the final word on 'fake DJ' accusations

Image for Steve Angello delivers the final word on 'fake DJ' accusations

As you’ll recall back in 2011, Swedish House Mafia heavy-hitter Steve Angello went on the defense after a video appeared on YouTube titled, ‘Steve Angello – How To Fake Your Fans’. The video showed Angello on-stage at Dance Valley in The Netherlands DJing without headphones. In response to accusations of playing a pre-recorded mix, he explained that the close of his show is a “medley mix” synched to fireworks. Since then, though, the ‘fake DJ’ tag has lingered, even inciting house original DJ Sneak to go on the offensive. This afternoon at the EDMBiz conference in Las Vegas, Angello fielded a question from a fan about the blow-up, and inthemix was there to hear it.

“The thing is, I lost my hearing in my left ear two years ago,” Angello said. “I couldn’t hear for almost a month and thought I was going deaf. I’m always in airplanes working with my headphones on really loud. So I taught myself how to DJ without headphones. With today’s technology on Pioneer decks, you can see what the BPM of the next record is. If you know your records, you know how long it is to the first drop and where the outro is. It’s not a hard thing to do, but people always question things if they don’t know how it’s done.

“This kid filmed me at Dance Valley and said on YouTube, Steve Angello’s faking whole DJ sets without headphones. And then that catches on. What I did afterwards was go to D.C. is put two cameras either side of me and one above, and did a five-hour DJ set without headphones. You can see how I do all the mixes, all the BPMs.

“Listen, I wouldn’t be doing this if I was faking,” he said in conclusion, “’cause I could’ve done shitloads of other stuff. I’ve done this since I was twelve, I know how to beatmatch.”

Stay tuned for more updates from Electric Daisy Carnival.

Comments

Ruskhouse

Ruskhouse said on the 8th Jun, 2012

airhorns - leading cause of deafness. - true.

David Guetta

David Guetta said on the 8th Jun, 2012

It was actually me that came up with the deaf in one ear excuse. It came to me when i was watching All Gone Pete Tong. I mentioned it to Stevo and now he uses it. He didnt ask if he could but i dont mind, we are all friends at the top you see.

slinky87

slinky87 said on the 8th Jun, 2012

He's right, it ain't rocket science.

khas

khas said on the 8th Jun, 2012

I used to live with a slag of an ex-gf who didn't like me blasting EDM until 4am in the morning on a school night so I would do what he's talking about, only in my headphones. So in other words I would be listening to the master track in my headphones while beatmatching & cueing the next track by just looking at wavelength and BPM counter. These days on CDJ2000's u can't fucking miss.

james223

james223 said on the 8th Jun, 2012

Maybe its his music that made him deaf?

YossarianIsSane

YossarianIsSane said on the 8th Jun, 2012

Lost hearing in left ear, continues to put himself in environments loud enough to cause damage to surviving ear. Righto.

daverh

daverh said on the 8th Jun, 2012

Wonderful choice of photo.

Ben Royal

Ben Royal said on the 8th Jun, 2012

But how would he a) know where the first beat in the track is (not every track will autocue on the first beat and b) ensure the track is matched when he brings it in? I can understand once they are both sounding through the master you could monitor it with your ears but how would you bring it in smoothly?

christo93

christo93 said on the 8th Jun, 2012

Pioneer Rekordbox solves any cueing issues. He probably works off hot-cues anyways, because a lot of his mixes are really tight and quick.

josh_goods

josh_goods said on the 8th Jun, 2012

@Ben Royal, all their tracks are edited to perfection for mixing... in fact, the way they manage consistent multiple mash ups (not that amazing, but hey, people are impressed) is by editing every track they mix with to a perfect 128bpm. And sure, then it isn't very hard beatmatching without headphones. if it sounds a little out on the way up, jog it a bit... u know the bpm is right.
sorry, but thats cheating.

jerry2234

jerry2234 said on the 9th Jun, 2012

It's easy to know your records when you've been rotating the same 12 every set for 3 years

camlv

camlv said on the 9th Jun, 2012

I have done the odd mix with out headphones when I was in a rush. It's really not that hard. At around 128bpm 1 bpm = 0.75%

rubbishtalk

rubbishtalk said on the 9th Jun, 2012

The problem here is that even if he really was DJing, he's doing virtually nothing anyway except putting his hands in the air and playing really crap commercial music... so what's the difference? Bring back the real DJs in the world that have skills a la Farina!!!

Snap Kelly

Snap Kelly said on the 9th Jun, 2012

If its not so hard, why does it take three of these muppets to do a SHM set.

johnbiggs

johnbiggs said on the 9th Jun, 2012

Why do you all get so mad at them? Fuck man play where you play and play belter sets and be happy. Most of you arnt going to make it huge like me so do what you do and stop complaining about every other dj.

deep audio

deep audio said on the 10th Jun, 2012

3 guys playing with the same knob

DHindahouse

DHindahouse said on the 11th Jun, 2012

he's basically going to be deaf when he's about 40 then. Nice move.

Nelinho

Nelinho said on the 14th Jun, 2012

why didn't he just say this at the start?

physix

physix said on the 15th Jun, 2012

So . . . first it's a "medley mix" . . . then it's a deflection cum sob story about his ears going all "Pete Tong" on him? And yes, he could be fakin' it. Who's gonna tell on him? The festival promoters making duckets on his name? His labelmates? His boyfriend? Festivals aren't rave-clubs or raves. There's barely proximity between the god and his apostles, let alone the worshippers.

Throw him in a club where 200 people fit snuggly, where the tables are on the ground-level, and it's him, 2 tables, a mixer, and a monitor, and let's put it to a test. Yeah, at 12, he may have learned to DJ. I learned how to play bass and guitar at 11. Played for 3 years. Well, too. I can't play for shit now, but I can air-guitar with the best of them.

Suspekt

Suspekt said on the 18th Jun, 2012

Maybe instead of trying to DJ while you're hearing is going shot, you do what other musicians do - take some time off and not film a freakin' video?

Sounds like his mixes are all big fades anyways, which is pretty much what they were talking about when they say "fake". I'm pretty sure it's OK for people to expect someone they are paying so much cash to see at least has some skills to back it up.

SolarFlareAU

SolarFlareAU said on the 20th Jun, 2012

i believe him, also. i can do it, it's not a mind-blowing or impossible feat. there are sad individuals out there who want to be the ones to catch a conspiracy or spot a dj doing something that proves that it can't be that easy. why? because THEY CAN'T DO IT.