Now, the inevitable Deadmau5 ‘we all hit play’ backlash

Image for Now, the inevitable Deadmau5 ‘we all hit play’ backlash

Earlier this week, one of the world’s biggest dance stars wrote a blog post entitled ‘We all hit play’. We’re talking, of course, about Deadmau5 – no stranger to incendiary statements. “I think I might have pissed off more people than I would have liked to in my previous posts and rants,” he later wrote. ‘We all hit play’ argued that there’s nothing all that ‘hands on’ about performing electronic music as a DJ or live act. “I’m just so sick of hearing the, ‘NO!!! IM NOT JUST DOING THIS, I HAVE 6 TABLES UP THERE AND I DO THIS THIS AND THIS,’” he wrote. “Like…honestly. Who gives a fuck?”

It’s certainly an argument that spread far and wide this week, inciting comment from a range of dance figures who look at DJing very differently from the mau5. One of those to unleash was the always-outspoken London veteran Mr C.

“Mixing isn’t about counting to 4, it’s about selecting the right record at the right time to CAPTURE THE MOMENT in creating extended long DJ mixes (beat matching) that make the tunes sound like live remixes,” he wrote. “FYI Deadmau5, there’s a magic that happens when 2 tunes are mixed properly together by a real DJ. Now you run along & carry on button pushing to play your cheesy pre organized shit to children in fluffy boots & stop bothering us adults all with your uninformed opinions & lies. FUCK YOU IN EVERY ORIFICE.”

Acid house pioneer A Guy Called Gerald had a similarly vitriolic response. “You come into our system that we have nurtured for the last 25 years, trick hardworking people into giving you their money, con honest promoters, take large sums of money out of the system and then spit back into our faces that YOU are tricking everyone,” he wrote on his blog. “I agree there are loads of people like you who do fake it. It is easy with the software you are using. Don’t worry we are going to find ways of stopping you. You greedy rat head fuck.”

Deadmau5’s response to that: “Let him go back to being no longer relevant.” Aside from all the swipes, there’s the makings of an interesting discussion here. Deadmau5 has pointed out that his comments aren’t as catch-all as they seemed (“I know MANY groups and individuals out there who put in serious work and effort to bring a live or creative element into EDM performance”), but that those are the exceptions that prove the rule. A response from U.S. star Bassnectar is worth a read.

“At the end of the day, this live experience is more important than what is happening on stage,” he writes in just one section of the lengthy post. “I have seen DJs completely fake their mixes, but the audience doesn’t know or doesn’t care, and is having the time of their life. And personally I have been working my ass off at times, blowing my own mind with how complex and technical my mix is, and all the while nobody can even see my hands or notice what I am doing.”

Comments

DaFraud

DaFraud said on the 29th Jun, 2012

What do you think? Post your comment...

DaFraud

DaFraud said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Bassnectar makes a good point. Most people who see a Deadmau5 show wouldn't be able to appreciate what goes on behind the decks. Let them just have fun.

DaFraud

DaFraud said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Bassnectar makes a good point. Most people who see a Deadmau5 show wouldn't be able to appreciate what goes on behind the decks. Just let them have fun, Deadmau5 isn't trying to compete with Maceo Plex

daking79

daking79 said on the 29th Jun, 2012

"FUCK YOU IN EVERY ORIFICE.%u201D made my day.

zsmiles

zsmiles said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Stop blaming the 'artists' for shit, it's not swedish house mafias fault that people enjoy their shitty music. They just make it.

I am able to hear (seriously it's not that hard) when a dj is simply clicking play. However, the most annoying thing when they are just clicking play, is that they pretend to do shit. It's kinda embarrassing....

mlirosi

mlirosi said on the 29th Jun, 2012

what do you comment? post your think...

cheechvda

cheechvda said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Next week on EDM fight night .......

jamwildway

jamwildway said on the 29th Jun, 2012

It doesn't really matter what they do, as long as it sounds good

TJAY

TJAY said on the 29th Jun, 2012

So DickMouse doesn't actually play live, or do much at all on stage - at least Milli Vanilli danced around a bit.

If you're a producer and produce music that sells, congrats. But why then bother/pretend to put on a show?

Unless of course it's because of the shitload of cash you're given. And if that's the case, you're no better than Milli Vanilli or any other fake performer.

PS DeadIcanCountTo4Mouse - there's more to beatmixing that staring at 4 of your fingers. But you clearly won't know that or ever need to know that because you can hit that space bar like a motherfucking spacebar slamming artist.

TJAY

TJAY said on the 29th Jun, 2012

BTW, if I were you I'd thank my lucky stars that kids these days are able to easily get really fucked on on drugs and not actually here the music you produce.

If you tried your shit on when pills were MDMA and the goal wasn't to get as messy as possible you'd be lucky to have a career as a pest controller.

angy said on the 29th Jun, 2012

Yikes... some pretty extreme responses LOL. It's kinda amusing that ultimately he's just playing the social networking game very well, cultivating his own notoriety in a way that comes very naturally to him - and the other industry players (Mr C, Guy Called Gerald) just keep biting. I don't even think his comments are meant to be taken literally anyway...

DTrancer

DTrancer said on the 30th Jun, 2012

"You greedy rat head fuck.%u201D LOL

SANDSHREW said on the 30th Jun, 2012

MAY THE KINGS AND QUEENS OF SOFTWARE LICENSE AGREEMENT RAIN DOWN A PLAGUE OF NON-LINEAR NIGHTMARES

Charger

Charger said on the 1st Jul, 2012

So, he's basically saying that it is more important to have a cool light and visual show than to actually do something with your performance.

Fuck this scene.

twistedbydesign

twistedbydesign said on the 1st Jul, 2012

This is like that time that frenchafromoustache 'trolled' everyone by not plugging in his mpd.

bassbins

bassbins said on the 2nd Jul, 2012

surely the best way would be to set a up a camera above the decks looking down. have all your flashy lights to keep people interested, but have it projected on the back - it least it would keep the bastards honest.

sounds_echoed

sounds_echoed said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

AGCG just confirmed that he is an anti-semite which is worse than being deadmau5 as much as I hate deadmau5, hating on any race, religion just makes you the bigger douche.

sounds_echoed

sounds_echoed said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

rubbishtalk

rubbishtalk said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

At the end of the day, what a DJ or electronic live act like Deadmau5 does is pretty much nothing compared to a proper band... the problem is that when people start realising this, EDM might just implode!!!!

mischa21

mischa21 said on the 4th Jul, 2012

to be honest, I don't go expecting live mixing. I know they're pushing play. I'm going because I've enjoyed that act's work to listen to and want to experience it in a live venue with great sound and with other like-minded punters. I get his point, it is a lot about producing an incredible experience - that's what I'm paying money for. The artist needs the skill to build the audience to come by producing wicked sounds during their career to make you want to pay money to see them 'live'.

TheNextBestThing

TheNextBestThing said on the 4th Jul, 2012

Dj%u2019s really don%u2019t have any other direction to go, They%u2019ve exhausted all three options. Fake playing live (pretending to produce professional quality tracks on the fly), Djing (acknowledging the crowd now and then),and fake Djing (Juming around on stage with a mic).

People want entertaining visuals, check out any psy festivals and you%u2019ll know what I mean, it all adds up, It isn%u2019t just commercial music.

Running around like a headless chook and having no time to acknowledge the crowd simply doesn%u2019t work, it%u2019s simply refining the process to enhance the enjoyment of punters.

TheNextBestThing

TheNextBestThing said on the 4th Jul, 2012

People want entertaining visuals, check out any psy festivals and you%u2019ll know what I mean, it all adds up. It isn%u2019t just commercial music.
Running around like a headless chook and having no time to acknowledge the crowd simply doesn%u2019t work. It%u2019s simply refining the process.

Skylight

Skylight said on the 5th Jul, 2012

%u201CMixing isn%u2019t about counting to 4, it%u2019s about selecting the right record at the right time to CAPTURE THE MOMENT in creating extended long DJ mixes (beat matching) that make the tunes sound like live remixes,%u201D

^^
At the end of the day though dj's that do this will be better then the ones that do pre-recorded shit.
So shouldn't worry about it too much

P_A_Sime

P_A_Sime said on the 7th Jul, 2012

Go listen to a live band you bunch EDM phoneys.

It's all fake.

Quarterpipe

Quarterpipe said on the 10th Jul, 2012

As someone who has DJ'd, and also played guitar & synth live onstage with bands, my outlook is that it is the audience who decides if it's good / credible / engaging / enjoyable. It doesn't matter how you go about it - as long as you can get a reaction. The ratio of sizzle vs steak is arguable in any scene or genre. Typically though, the larger the crowd - the more you have to dumb it down. I personally think Joel has the goods musically to do without all the Mickey gimmick. Also IMHO, producing & presenting your own tracks is closer to God than selecting & mixing everyone else's.