Bloody Beetroots on being "greatly hated & greatly loved"

Image for Bloody Beetroots on being "greatly hated & greatly loved"

The coming summer will see Italian electro renegade Bob Cornelius Rifo bring the Bloody Beetroots back to Australia for Big Day Out, and he recently spoke to inthemix about the new show he has planned. In the past, we’ve seen the Beetroots in DJ mode (most recently front and centre on the Stereosonic mainstage behind their custom-designed booth) and the Death Crew 77 live band set-up, but Rifo says the headline sets in the Boiler Room will be something different again. “I can not tell you much except that it will be a big step forward,” he told us. “Both musically and theatrically speaking. Having played my songs with Bloody Beetroots Death Crew 77 and the DJ set, I have gained a new vision of the project – a more versatile, compact, furious and dance-inducing vision.”

On the topic of his Australian connection, the band leader admits his outfit is divisive, but we get what the Bloody Beetroots is about. “Australia has a young dance music crowd, which often means they are open to change and more intelligent and versatile about their music,” he said. “The Bloody Beetroots as a project has undergone significant changes over time which have led it to be greatly hated and greatly loved. The Australian crowd has learnt how to deal with this metamorphosis before many other nations.”

As with all things auteured by Rifo, the new Beetroots single Rocksteady splits opinion, but it’s hard to deny its festival-ruling potential. “It’s kind of post-electro,” he said of the single in our chat. “A new era of citations and quotes from other genres. Thin Lizzy, King Crimson, Goblin and Daft Punk are all pretty explicit references.”

Despite coming at dance music from a very different perspective, Rifo’s fellow Boiler Room drawcard Kaskade also told inthemix this week that he loves a cross-genre mix. “I’ve played a lot of festivals in Australia, but I always heard about the huge one called Big Day Out,” he said. “It’s more of a mixed bag, like Australia’s version of Coachella ‘cause there’s rock & roll and an electronic tent. I always like festivals like that, ‘cause I feel you get such a dedicated music audience. They know exactly what they’re getting into.”

Comments

lawlietskyy said on the 20th Jul, 2012

" %u201CAustralia has a young dance music crowd, which often means they are open to change and more intelligent and versatile about their music"

Quite the opposite.

cheechvda

cheechvda said on the 20th Jul, 2012

""which often means they are open to change and more intelligent and versatile about their music" ...without seeing lawlietskyy's comment.. I am more than convinced that this could not be further from the truth...

matzta73

matzta73 said on the 20th Jul, 2012

"Australia has a young dance music crowd, which often means they are open to change and more intelligent and versatile about their music"

Yeah right! I am nearly 40 years old and still love my EDM since I have been a teenager and one thing you pick up along your journey is, If the music is shit it is shit, so why change what you like if some of the current oh I mean alot of the current EDM is SHIT!!!!

The Bloody Who are no exception!!!

Besides, they probably say this shit wherever they travel around the world :-)

funkdupkat

funkdupkat said on the 21st Jul, 2012

green stage material only -- get a worthy act to close out the Boiler Room after a big day out....

Sweave

Sweave said on the 21st Jul, 2012

haters going to hate, potatoes going to potate

Morecowbell

Morecowbell said on the 22nd Jul, 2012

Wow. How out of step is this fucking guy?! Lawlietskyy et al are bang on...Rifo has absolutely no grasp upon reality. He's commenting on a dance music culture thousands of miles away for a start...one that (sadly) mirrors the US, rather than Europe. Also, Daft Punk were a major influence for you, Bob? I'm pretty sure they wouldn't condone your bullshit, hack, 'music'-making.

jamwildway

jamwildway said on the 23rd Jul, 2012

The Beetroots are hot, I hope they don't clash with the Killers or Peppers

Lima87

Lima87 said on the 23rd Jul, 2012

Unlike some that have already commented, i am actually a younger person (oh look! The demographic mentioned in the article, not 40 year olds!) - I agree, the younger audience is very much open to change, adaptable and versatile.

Haters gonna hate, Beetroots put on an energetic, brain-melting show. You don't like it, go somewhere else.

Heist9000

Heist9000 said on the 23rd Jul, 2012

Played out bullshit Daft Punk rippers

SANDSHREW said on the 25th Jul, 2012

WHY DIDN%u2019T YOU LOVE ME DADODERANT

mr flauge

mr flauge said on the 25th Jul, 2012

Eat a dick Lima87.
I am young, and i can tell you that out of my 1200 facebook friends, about 50 of them actually are open to various types of music.

The other 1150 dont give a fuck and just listen to what they are told.

And before you speak - I have seen the beetroots twice - once in death kr3w mode and once as DJS. I had fun at their shows, because I am open to music (and i was chockers) - but their material is far from "mind blowing" and is definitely not pioneering anything except for a whole lot of shit noises