Three dead in "crowd rush" at Steve Aoki Halloween concert

Image for Three dead in "crowd rush" at Steve Aoki Halloween concert

Update: Spin are reporting that a fourth person has died following the Madrid show, a 17-year-old girl who succumbed to her injuries over the weekend. A fifth victim remains in an “extremely grave” condition. Investigations into the cause of the crowd crush continue, with details emerging that suggest the venue was unsuitable to host an event of this size and that security failed to adequately maintain crowd distribution, with the main floor reportedly at double the recommended capacity when Aoki began his set at 3am. At this point, large numbers of people tried to enter the mainroom through a single passageway while a smaller number of people tried to exit the same way, causing the bottleneck that became fatal when a member of the crowd let off a flare sparking panic in the crowd. Read the full story over at Spin.


Three women have died of injuries sustained in a crowd crush at the Thriller Music Park event at Madrid Arena, Spain, in the early hours of Thursday 1 November. The Halloween concert was headlined by Steve Aoki and Audioerotique, with a reported capacity of 10,800 people. According to Spain’s El Pais, with further reporting from Spin.com, police were called to the venue around 4am after a dangerous surge that could’ve been incited by punters fleeing a flare that had been set off in the crowd.

Five people were found injured, as El País writes, due to “trauma by crushing, possibly having suffered a fall and being trampled.” Two of the victims were declared dead on-site, and a third died at hospital. The Thriller Music Park promoter event has responded to the news, reiterating the lit flare as the cause of the “panic” and stressing that the Madrid Arena was “below the required [crowd] capacity”.

Aoki has issued this statement, announcing the cancellation of his next show in Bilbao: “After my performance last night at Thriller Music Park at the Madrid Arena in Spain, I was devastated to hear that three people had died during a crowd rush at one of the exits. The safety of my fans has always been my top priority and had I known that there was any distress putting people in jeopardy within the venue I would have ended my show immediately. My show in Bilbao, Spain tonight will be cancelled out of respect for those who lost their lives and those who are injured. I would like to express my deepest condolences and heart felt prayers to the families and loved ones during this difficult time.”

Social

Comments

www.inthemix.com.au arrow left
310064
lawlietskyy

lawlietskyy said on the 1st Nov, 2012

"The safety of my fans has always been my top priority" There's nothing unsafe about jumping on to them or spraying alcohol into their eyes is there? f*cking tard.


Nevertheless, RIP you poor souls

Kb75

Kb75 said on the 2nd Nov, 2012

Spanish clubs are notoriously lax on crowd safety, I am surprised that something like this didn't happen sooner. So sorry for the victims

walkdogz

walkdogz said on the 2nd Nov, 2012

Hopefully they find the person who lit the flare and throw them in jail. Lax security for it to make it in though.