Seven days straight: Smokin Joe tackles the world record again

Breaking News

Image for Seven days straight: Smokin Joe tackles the world record again

For any regular man, being led to believe you’d broken the world record for the longest DJ set in history only to have to relinquish the title just a couple of months later might be too crushing a blow to come back from. But for Smokin Joe Mekhael, learning that his 132 straight hours behind the decks hadn’t earned him the Guinness title after all was just another opportunity to do it all again. ITM forum icon, “the most electrifying man in dance music” and all ‘round good guy, Smokin Joe promised he’d tackle the title again earlier this year. Now, he’s locked in the details for his second shot at world record glory.

From December 16 – December 23 back at The Empire Hotel, Smokin Joe will have his second crack at the title of Marathon DJ Champion of the World. “When the controversy went down last year and I found out that my 132.5 hour effort wasn’t recognised by Guinness as the world record, I was disappointed for a few minutes. But then I realised how awesome the experience was, how it brought people together, how it pushed me right to the edge of my physical and mental breaking points, and how it achieved my goal of spreading a message of peace, love and freedom all over the world,” Joe told inthemix. “I understood that instead of looking at the situation as a disappointment, I could flip it into an opportunity and that’s exactly what I did.”

So what is he doing differently this time around? “I learned a lot of lessons from last year. This year, I’m going to apply those lessons and improve my diet, eat organic food, manage my rest breaks better, use earplugs to save my hearing, and have a dedicated team of witnesses.” And most importantly: “I’m paying over $7,000 out of my own pocket to have an official adjudicator from Guinness present at the event who will hand me the official Guinness certificate the second that I break the record”

The current record stands at 150 hours – Joe tells us that DJ Hertz’s 152 hour stint hasn’t yet been recognised by Guinness – but Smokin Joe isn’t content with a measly 153 hours. “I’m going to play for 168 hours and become the first human being to DJ for seven days straight,” he told us. “God rested on the seventh day, but Smokin Joe Mekhael won’t rest until the eighth day, he won’t rest until he holds the Guinness World Record for the longest DJ set in history, and he won’t rest until he has earned the title of MARATHON DJ CHAMPION OF THE WORLD!”

Just like last time, the attempt will be streamed live on the net – there’ll be more details about the video feed soon. No matter how Smokin Joe Mekahel fares this time around, ITM will be behind him the whole way.

Comments

Lithium211

Lithium211 said on the 13th Nov, 2012

What is the point of this? Why doesn't he put all this effort into constructing an amazing, world beating 2 or 3 hours set rather than playing a terrible 160 hour one?

SANDSHREW said on the 13th Nov, 2012

MY BODY IS%uFEFF READY

REJECTING ASYLUM SEEKERS IS WRONG, AND IT REFLECTS A POVERTY OF OUR SOULS THAT OUR ECONOMIC PROSPERITY HAS DONE NOTHING FOR.

Astro-Boy

Astro-Boy said on the 13th Nov, 2012

A true inspiration for the children.

josh_goods

josh_goods said on the 13th Nov, 2012

please stop, you are demeaning a profession that is struggling enough in this country for intellectual recognition

rancho

rancho said on the 13th Nov, 2012

he looks like he's got the guns he said he was going to get too, what can't sjm do?

smokinjoemekhael

smokinjoemekhael said on the 13th Nov, 2012

The 50,000 people who tuned in to last year's stream from 126 countries all over the world can attest to witnessing an amazing, world beating 132.5 hour set where quality was at the forefront the entire time.

And I must say, as a DJ/activist whose mission it is to spread positive vibes all over the world, and after experiencing how last year's effort brought the Sydney scene together, that this event will bring incredible amounts of recognition, intellectual and otherwise to the scene.

B_e_de

B_e_de said on the 13th Nov, 2012

oh please son, it's dance music, not the literary awards.

Downlow

Downlow said on the 13th Nov, 2012

Go for it big guy! Best of luck to ya..

moojins

moojins said on the 13th Nov, 2012

Shaking SJM's hand was the best thing that happened to me last year.

God speed Joe WOOOOOO!

special ed

special ed said on the 13th Nov, 2012

i want my daughter to grow up to be like Smokin Joe.

a big hairy man with a headband

Do it for 'straya Joe :wooo:

smokinjoemekhael

smokinjoemekhael said on the 13th Nov, 2012

You guys are awesome! Since Inthemix is streaming the event this year, what features do you guys think will make the whole experience more electrifying? We've already discussed having a live interactive chat feature and I'm thinking of posting every track I.D. as I play them.

What else?

sounds_echoed

sounds_echoed said on the 13th Nov, 2012

that's the biggest load of wank i've seen written on this board for quite some time.... hahaha!

it's all about having a fun time and a good party, which SJM did last year. even though i'm not a fan of the music, i respect him doing what he did and throwing a great party so there's nothing wrong with it at all. better than going to see some mega superstar DJ who gets paid big bucks just to press play which demeans the profession a ton more than anything SJM does.

gifking

gifking said on the 13th Nov, 2012

josh goods should suck a fat one

zsmiles

zsmiles said on the 13th Nov, 2012

you're setting a bad example for the children!! oh won't someone please think of the children!!

TroyShaun

TroyShaun said on the 14th Nov, 2012

:lol: Smokin' Joe is the best thing that happened to the industry since Electro.

good luck once again Joe, shame that it wasn't recognised the first time, it's good to have someone local that is so positive and dedicated :thumb:

smokinjoemekhael

smokinjoemekhael said on the 14th Nov, 2012

Highlights from last year:

#WOOOOOOO!

khas

khas said on the 15th Nov, 2012

I'd rike to suggest some added features. Can we have stage dancers that don't get to rest for 7 days straight either prease? Specifically the old Subbies dancers would be good, bunch of filfy skanks they are...

daveyjaye

daveyjaye said on the 15th Nov, 2012

sMOKINg jOe!

wooooo

good luck.

CircusMidget

CircusMidget said on the 23rd Nov, 2012

What else?

wet T-shirt comp to find the most erectifying lady