Porter Robinson's gig gone wrong: "The police are not on your side"

Image for Porter Robinson's gig gone wrong: "The police are not on your side"

Porter Robinson is no stranger to a gig gone wrong. “It’s not often you have someone in a gas mask spraying you in the face with some sting-y, painful, white solution,” he quipped to inthemix last year for our Disaster Gigs series (you’ll want to read the full account over here.) As if a fire extinguisher to the face wasn’t enough, over the weekend the young gun has seen another set go awry: last night, police at a Californian festival cut Porter’s set short, accusing him of “inciting a riot”.

The trouble started at Santa Barbara’s Matador Music Festival, where Porter had the headline slot. His set was due to run through until 11.30pm, but according to WRR it wasn’t yet 11pm when Santa Barbara police decided it was time to shut things down – halfway through his mega-hit Language, no less. “The cops cut me 35 minutes short and shut down this show halfway through Language. Really sorry to everyone to paid to see this show,” the always level-headed producer began in a series of tweets. “I got on the mic and said “guys, the cops are shutting us down in 5 minutes. Gonna play Language. Don’t get mad, stay positive. The cops cut the power two minutes after that, claiming that I was ‘inciting a riot’ by explaining the situation to the crowd. The sheriff told me he was going to arrest me and seize all of my equipment ‘as evidence’. Vindictive tyrant is embarrassed about the truth.”

His final thought on the incident? “The police are not on your side.” Hopefully, the OWSLA signee has better luck with the authorities at his string of upcoming Northern Hemisphere dates, including the just-announced Mysteryland. In the meantime, listen to Language in all its full, uninterrupted glory below.

Comments

scottyk82

scottyk82 said on the 29th Apr, 2013

Copyright Po Po gonna shut you dowwwwwn!

SANDSHREW said on the 30th Apr, 2013

I SUPPORTED INTHEMIX BECAUSE THEY WERE NOT AFRAID TO LIFT THE VEIL.
I DONATED TO THE AD CAMPAIGN BECAUSE I WAS WORRIED DEMOCRACY WAS DEAF.
I WATCHED, AT 3 AM, THE LIVE FEED OF%uFEFF ITM TABLING AN AD I HELPED PAY FOR AD AND THOUGHT:
"IF MY VOICE CAN BE HEARD ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WORLD, THERE'S STILL A GLIMMER OF HOPE."
DON'T LET THAT GLIMMER FADE.

Fledz

Fledz said on the 30th Apr, 2013

California Police..... can we really expect anything else from a historically awful state police force?

Mike Muzz

Mike Muzz said on the 30th Apr, 2013

@Fledz, No such thing as California State Police. This was Santa Barbara Police. As police forces in the USA are on city / county level they are often not as well trained / funded as our state police here and do stupid things like this.

Fledz

Fledz said on the 30th Apr, 2013

It's police in California, a police force in a state. I wasn't implying it was 'California Police', though I could have been clearer.

It was tongue in cheek anyway, stop nitpicking :P

Lachlan Cole

Lachlan Cole said on the 2nd May, 2013

Did anyone else notice that there was no mention of why they were going to shut him down in the first place? The cops said they were shutting Porter down for inciting a riot by telling the crowd the cops were already planning to shut him down? I smell a coverup.
Btw Language really is a fantastic song, kudos to senor Robinson!