Page 1 of 2
  Tools
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
GT5: Jan 2011 - ITMers in a really riced GT-R
January 2011
Top Gear Track

ANY Nissan GT-R or Skyline GT-R with all mods allowed EXCEPT race mods. No race car models.
Normal aero parts are ok.

How this works:
Every month a Reasonably Priced Car will be chosen to be driven on the Top Gear Test Track. Any ITM'er can then try to set a best time on it. Once the month ends we'll archive the leaderboard and start again.

What you need to enter:
- A PS3
- GT5
- No more arcade mode required. GT Mode PRACTICE. A Spec free run option.

Submitting your time:
Once you get a time you are happy with, exit and there's an option to save the replay of your best lap. Do that just incase there are any queries over your claimed time. Then post your time in this thread and we'll update the leaderboard.

Rules:
- You can submit more than 1 time in a month
- No shortcuts
- Tyres: any
- Driving line: off
- Traction control: off
- Skid recovery force: off
- Active steering: off
- ASM: off
- Grip reduction: real
- ABS: 1 for the girls

LEADERBOARD:

Last edited by NismoR31: 02-Jan-11 at 06:54pm

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
I'm using a GT-R SpecV '09 with all mods done including aero.

1:03.086
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
Surely Dairyx's time was 1:03 and not 1:30?
http://soundcloud.com/blue-tune
Morphee +

Everybody recognise rastaman to show them some knowledge

Times thanked
< 3,987
This really isnt a test of driving skill though is it? More like

"who can tune a car better"

Quote:

Originally Posted by TRZA View Post

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
whoops dairys was supposed to be 107 lol

morphee it's still a driving skill test, but having it open to all skyline gtrs is pointless anyway as the new gtr is the fastest. It'll still be a level playing field coz everyone will mod the shit out of theirs. Then it'll come down to not only setup but driving the thing. One person's setup may not suit another

i do agree though that we should set more limits so everything is the same except the driver. This month is just to keep dairx happy
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
A bit of variety to keep things interesting.
Morphee +

Times thanked
< 3,987
I want to see ITMers in a car over 1000hp with no TCS.

Quote:

hiphop mixing is where its at. 30 second snippets. 100+ tracks an hour. just scratch the shit out of a record between em and smash the cross fader like OJ treats a white girl.

Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
1:07:223

Did a few laps in my Skyline GTR Vspec Nur R34. Didn't want to use my GTR specV '09 just yet because its all setup for that seasonal challenge and I've only gotten 2nd.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morphee View Post

I want to see ITMers in a car over 1000hp with no TCS.

my gtr has 847bhp. close enough?
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
that was a controlpad time for me too, have to wait tll the missus goes to bed tonight before I can give it another whack

Quote:

- Tyres: Comfort soft

^change that

Quote:

This really isnt a test of driving skill though is it? More like

"who can tune a car better"

I disagree, it's actually far harder to judge the braking distances with all that crazy hp, TGTT is a tight track and if you get the braking wrong on any of those tight corners - you'll completely fuck up your run. Knowing your car and its setup is part of being a good driver.

There are enough setup guides for the GTR on GT planet etc for everyone to be close handling wise anyway.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31 View Post

my gtr has 847bhp. close enough?

hmm, I'm only getting 826 on mine, pretty sure I've done the oil change trick too...
dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
my V spec is 854hp? Perhaps the timing of the oil change has an affect? I did mine last.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogan Josh

My dad's old fuck buddy, my mum, just sees my dad as a buddy these days.
Which suits me tbh.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
i've used mine to do the seasonal race before, then i did the rest of the mods for this but i changed the oil first. It could be just like in older versions of GT where it would show a different power figure in the car info as to the tuning page when you install a mod.

diarx: you sure you've done EVERTHING? not missing a cat converter or an air filter?
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
another oil change sorted the hp, been using the car quite a bit so the oil was getting a little dirty - didn't think it would deteriorate that fast.

ps: missus went to the beach, set up the wheel, got a 1:03.026, sure I can improve it as I went wide on some of the tighter turns.. my steering table setup has too much flex in it and keeps fucking me up on said tighter bends.

I reckon someones got to be able to crack under a minute here though.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
dammit, getting cloudy, looks like I'll have to pack this shit up again =/

2 weeks til new house + new 55" second telly
dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
1:06.475

With the control pad. Still sorting out my braking - big hp and no ABS is a handful. I have a feeling I will be a fair bit quicker on the wheel.

Quote:

Which suits me tbh.

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
I think abs is probably the one thing thats ok to have on (I have mine set to 1, but every other assist off).. as good as the physics are its still next to impossible to judge if your tyres are breaking traction under braking like you would in a real car, you basically need a hydraulic cockpit/sperger setup to be able to imitate that.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
cheating. NO ABS. NO ASSISTS AT ALL

not registering your time dairy.
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
1:03.906
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
I haven't actually got no ABS listed there. And other comps I've seen running haven't specifically ruled out ABS either. I'm not using it myself, but I'm not fussed either way. Does it really make a huge difference? There are both positives and negatives when you have it on aren't there?

Edit: Actually I had it set to 1 as well. Don't hurt me.

Last edited by Blue Moon: 02-Jan-11 at 03:52pm

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

cheating. NO ABS. NO ASSISTS AT ALL

not registering your time dairy.

*not actually listed in the OP rules (at time of post)
*in a real gtr you can't turn off the abs without serious brake mods
*you're just pissed I beat your time on my third run with a wheel.
*I bet you had every driving aid on including driving line when you did your run.
and; *technically those with a G25/G27 have a huge cheaty-hax advantage since the pedals aren't mush

Last edited by diarx: 02-Jan-11 at 04:17pm

Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
Whoa calm down fellas. This is supposed to be a bit of fun. Let's see what everyone has been using and put it to a vote. I basically copied the rules from the neogaf competition they are running. That's way more serious than this, and they make you use ABS at 1. But if everyone has been running with ABS off, then we'll go with that.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blue Moon View Post

Whoa calm down fellas.

Trash talk is in the spirit of top gear.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
ok so basically i could be setting crazy times then. I've been using no abs or anything which in some cars (ie the mini with shit tyres and pretty much everything else) is a HUGE advantage.

I know this is only a bit of fun, but unless everyone is using the same shit then it's all kind of pointless isn't it?

and ftr i couldnt give a fuck you beat my time. I can go quicker than my time i set. I'll have another hack at it later
Blue Moon +

Sick ****el

Times thanked
< 308
I kinda expected you to be creaming us given your obsession with racing sims anyway.
dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
I have been following the rules posted in each comp to the letter, so the time I posted above is with ABS off.

To be honest I'd much prefer if we all used ABS 1 and not off. So there is my vote.

I'll post a time with ABS at 1 later.

Quote:

Which suits me tbh.

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

ok so basically i could be setting crazy times then. I've been using no abs or anything which in some cars (ie the mini with shit tyres and pretty much everything else) is a HUGE advantage.

I know this is only a bit of fun, but unless everyone is using the same shit then it's all kind of pointless isn't it?

and ftr i couldnt give a fuck you beat my time. I can go quicker than my time i set. I'll have another hack at it later

prove it, show me a pic of your "with +1 abs time"
dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
N.B. It was only a matter of time until shit would hit the fan with this honesty system

Quote:

Which suits me tbh.

Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Times thanked
< 945
I reckon we build a real life sized replica of the Top Gear race track and then race my reasonably priced piece of Holden Vectra shit round it until it dies.

When it's well and truly dead, we set fire to it and then fill a wheelie bin with the Ashes and then do it all again every year with another piece of shit car.

The winner gets to keep the wheelie bin full of Ash and that will become the ITM Ashes.

Once you've built the track drop me a PM and I'll bring the car.
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by dow_ney View Post

N.B. It was only a matter of time until shit would hit the fan with this honesty system

I'm calling him out.. blasé off the cuff remark that he smashed the time with abs and no actual lap time to post.

he's probably been sitting there smashing out laps since I made the remark trying to get more than a minimal half second improvement over his non abs time.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349

Quote:

Originally Posted by diarx View Post

prove it, show me a pic of your "with +1 abs time"

i will tomorrow when i'm not half drunk.

i don't care if abs is set to one or not, i care that everyone is using the same setting. We need to esablish the same rules for EVERYONE.

not being able to control your braking isn't an excuse to want abs either learn to control it.
Rocca +

Query: Do you feel lucky, meatbag?

Times thanked
< 133

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post

I reckon we build a real life sized replica of the Top Gear race track and then race my reasonably priced piece of Holden Vectra shit round it until it dies.

When it's well and truly dead, we set fire to it and then fill a wheelie bin with the Ashes and then do it all again every year with another piece of shit car.

The winner gets to keep the wheelie bin full of Ash and that will become the ITM Ashes.

Once you've built the track drop me a PM and I'll bring the car.

abs on or off??
OH MMM TRANCE?

https://soundcloud.com/philby/phillip-bourne-july-2012

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

i will tomorrow when i'm not half drunk.

lol convenient excuse.. 24 hours is plenty of time to make a big improvement over your time today.

Quote:

i don't care if abs is set to one or not, i care that everyone is using the same setting. We need to esablish the same rules for EVERYONE.

The best rule would be anything goes and posting a pic of your lap time, that way there is no guessing at all whether someone is actually cheating.

Quote:

not being able to control your braking isn't an excuse to want abs either learn to control it.

you should try using the DFGT with its complete lack of brake pedal resistance. basically as good as a control pad button. Not everyone can afford a $300+ wheel setup just to get realistic pedal feel.
dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
1:02.937 with ABS set to 1. Every other aid turned off as per the rules. I reckon I could knock at least a second off that too.

There is a big difference between ABS off and ABS 1, especially with a controller.

Quote:

Which suits me tbh.

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
i doubt you've used a G25 with GT5. the spring load on the brake pedal means jack shit, coz you have about 3cm of effective pedal movement before the game thinks you've hit 100%. With abs on you can just mash the brake whenever you want & it doesn't lock up
if you actually listen to the tyre squeal you can tell when it's locking up. That's what i do

bm: i'm not that into sims. I used to play rfactor & that's about it. F1 2010 i haven't touched for ages. I play them but not obsessively. Either way going from a hardcore sim doesn't really give you any advantage in a quasi sim like GT5

fairy yes i am half drunk. deal with it. I've been doing b-spec races for the last couple of hours
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

G25=
Pedals have different resistance. Accelerator= Weak, Clutch= Medium(easy to press but not as easy as throttle) Brake= Hard to press as you press the pedal further the harder it gets.

Driving Force Pro=
Pedals have little to no ressitance.

from here: http://community.eu.playstation.com/...GT/m-p/4350845
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
what's that go to do with what i just said??

just had a go to prove you're shit & did a 1:02.751 semi-drunk with ABS:1
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
lol, took you what, 3 hours to get that time? for a 0.4 second improvement over no abs?

"oh but i'm dryunk"

rubbish.
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

what's that go to do with what i just said??

outsider opionion:

DF has no brake pedal resistance, g25 does have brake pedal resistance. You are at a big advantage with no abs on a g25 due to the resistance.
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
I like how you completely ignore the fact that Gt5 doesn't officially support g25 and the brake is useful for 1/4 of the pedal movement

I'm not going to continue arguing that you. You're just going to keep trolling like you always do
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
If you know about the g25 glitch, then you most likely know about the fix too (holding the brake down when turning the wheel on)
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
no i didn't know about that. i'll try it out!
UMGAWA +

Times thanked
< 4,206
0:59.568 with abs set to 10000001111111111111111111111111111!!!111
diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498
took some time setting up brake balance to account for my shit pedals (ie, runs up and down the straight with full brake stops til you find a setting that didn't lose too much traction) think I got it, though still far to easy to lock up imo

102.940, no abs

will have to have another go with abs see if I can knock off a couple of seconds since it's so cheaty hax.

wonder how long til we see a brake pedal system that has a rumble motor to simulate breaking traction and/or abs pulsing
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
had another go today. i can get extremely close to last night's time but can't beat it. I guess i should drink & drive more
did a 1:02.760 & a few other very close times but no amount of suspension tweaking could beat it.
Lambretta +

Now Aussie....STILL dodgy

Times thanked
< 945

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rocca View Post

abs on or off??

If you can rip the fucker out, good luck to you

I hate ABS - spoils skidding in the wet. Safety = killjoy nanny shit
Never mind the bollocks
Here's Lambretta
Morphee +

Times thanked
< 3,987

Quote:

Originally Posted by dow_ney View Post

Wouldnt happen if the game had leaderboards.

Quote:

diarx +

mctte

Times thanked
< 3,498

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta View Post

I hate ABS - spoils skidding in the wet.

You're doing it wrong - l2handbrake
The Duke +

better resolution than the real world

Times thanked
< 483

Quote:

ANY Nissan GT-R or Skyline GT-R with all mods allowed EXCEPT race mods. No race car models.
Normal aero parts are ok.[/center]

Would a tuner car be allowed or would it fall under race car?

I just bought a Mine's BNR34 SKYLINE GT-R V-spec N1 base '00 (example in video). I haven't started modding it yet for this comp.
Media Player
Mine's BNR34 SKYLINE GT-R V-spec N1 base '00 - YouTube
_______
Flickr
NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 9,349
it's probably ok. i doubt it'll keep up with the new GTR anyway

i guess if it blows everyone away it's not fair? otherwise i'll have to go dig in my garage for the one i have
Page 1 of 2
Closed thread

« Previous Thread Next Thread »