The Music Studio

Hi people!

Tools
pharb +

Times thanked
< 0
Hi people!
Hey guys, I've been a member of this forum for ages but haven't felt the need to post much at all.

Finally I want to get into it, I want to purchase a set of Pioneer DDJ-S1 controllers to use on my PC, but wtf, I can't post in the buy/sell forum because of my post count.

The reasons the admins give are flimsy at best:

Why have we created these rules?
To help protect ITMers from dodgy sellers
To remove access to the forum for those people who only use it to sell (commonly scalpers or otherwise slightly shady characters).

Ever heard of WTB? I am not a seller, I am a buyer!

Anyway, I may as well get to posting so eventually in a few weeks I might be able to post my WTB ad.

In the meantime, as I'm not 100% on my choice yet, anyone experienced want to weigh in on the pros (but mostly any big cons) of the DDJ-S1? I don't have any CDs and I use my pc a lot and have a big library on my HDD so I thought this thing would suit. I've used some CDJs before and noted that these have a similar design that would be easy for me to get used to as I have already had a one hour lesson on CDJs.

Anyway, thanks for listening to my rant and please consider changing the rules for buy/sell for people who just want to buy and aren't looking to rip anyone off!
brown820 +

Times thanked
< 15
I don't think the selling / buying forum, nor this one, are moderated that much if at all. So I wouldn't bank on the rules changing anytime soon :S. Welcome to the board though.
Joe-Trojan +

distorted distortion

Times thanked
< 69
Nigerians also pretend to buy. Just stick around and post a bit, it's not that hard.
pharb +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah I'm keen to get my 50 posts in, I really want to get into this!!

So any thoughts on the DDJ-S1 for a beginner?
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97
Your in the fkn production forum, clearly you HAVENT been actually reading.
Tech-One
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 119
Wrong forum. But I'll help.
I have the T1, I'm guessing they are fairly similar design, just different software

PROs:
Big unit, feels nice and spacious
Easy to manually beatmix still, big jogs etc...
CONs:
Big unit, not at all portable, would be impossible to use in a club.
The S1 is only 2 channel....

I'm sure there is more, I can only comment on the design really, the software makes everything else different, at least S1 has a level led's unlike the T1

Most people will probably recommend an S4, especially seeing the price on the S1 is still really high (Last time I looked it's a few hundred dollars more then the T1 and S4)

I wouldn't think there'd be too many second hand ones floating around, it's still fairly new, and if they were for sale I'm pretty sure they'd already have listed it, I doubt too many people have a $1200+ piece of equipment they don't use and hadn't already thought of listing it for sale.

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by shr3dder View Post

I wouldn't think there'd be too many second hand ones floating around, it's still fairly new, and if they were for sale I'm pretty sure they'd already have listed it, I doubt too many people have a $1200+ piece of equipment they don't use and hadn't already thought of listing it for sale.

Whoops. turns out one is for sale at the moment in the B&S forum. My bad

KazTh3Bau5 +

Times thanked
< 0
Man same kind of garbage happened with em too. I tried to post in the "The ITM Music Studio Collaboration Thread" section
and apparently i can't 'cause it had a link. Feels like a jailhouse...
pharb +

Times thanked
< 0
Woah there slackas buddy, chill out will you? No need to mouth off!

I want to use the decks and bundled software to produce some mash ups, that and the fact that I can't post in buy/sell was the reason why I posted in the production forum.

And shredder they go for sale brand new on ebay for under $1,100 these days, a quick google search will show plenty of forums with people selling them (including as you rightly corrected, this one). I thought my post might preempt a sale and get me my hardware sooner!

But thanks for your responses, I thought the thing was smaller than a couple of cdjs adn a mixer? There's heaps of carry cases and stuff for sale for it too, but I doubt I'll be good enough to go to a club any time soon, really looking for something to get started beat matching on and doing mash ups eventually.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 119

Quote:

Originally Posted by pharb View Post

But thanks for your responses, I thought the thing was smaller than a couple of cdjs adn a mixer? There's heaps of carry cases and stuff for sale for it too, but I doubt I'll be good enough to go to a club any time soon, really looking for something to get started beat matching on and doing mash ups eventually.

Yeah, it's smaller then CDJs and a mixer... BUT if you add the S1 to the existing setup of CDJs and a mixer you'll see why I say its huge there'd be pretty much no way you could set this up on top of an existing club setup unless they have a massive amount of spare table space, it's considerably bigger then most controllers, especially the S4.

Trust me, if its like the T1 it's f*cking heavy when its in the road case, it's about as portable as a set of CDJ200/400etc and a small 2 channel mixer... which isn't portable at all.

Great home for home use though.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »