The Music Studio

BEST AD/DA Converters

Tools
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8
BEST AD/DA Converters
Hey guys, i am now getting very serious with my music in the sense that i have an opportunity to actually make some cash so i have purchased a DSI Prophet 08 to upgrade from my microkorg and mopho and i want the highest quality conversion possible.

What would you guys suggest? considering i have a patch bay and price is not an issue.
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
apogee.....
http://soundcloud.com/ezzcal/ezzcal-dub-04-free-project-file-4-u
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19
The highest quality conversion possible?

Weiss, Lavry gold or Prism.

You will be looking at about $6000 - $12,000 for a stereo A/D converter. If you have a properly designed and built room with correctly positioned acoustic treatment and very high end monitors, you may just benefit from the 3 or 4% increase in quality over stuff that is thousands of dollars cheaper.

Can I ask why you need "the highest quality conversion possible"? Perhaps I am bias, but I find conversion one of the most overrated, and overhyped pieces of gear in any signal chain. Particularly if you are just starting to build up a collection of gear.

A $5000 microphone will sound at the top of its game in 30 year time...
A $5000 set of converters will be an absolute boat anchor...

Some food for thought.
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
dude tbh a Universal Audio 610 (any of the series) will do the job very well
jester_fu +

I ammmmmmmm

Times thanked
< 196
Does the kwality of konversion effect the kwality of the music? Man, been doing it all wong...
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8
thanks guys, @BasketCase, i totally agree i was just really pumped cause my prophet had just arrived, anyway i am going with the SSL Alphalink cause ive actually heard it in use and i liked it.

@jester_fu.....well yeh the konversion does effect the kwality of the music, especially considering i dont even own a converter cause my focusrite is f***ed
timothyallan +

Dance Music SuperProducer

Times thanked
< 60
I'd look into a Prism Orpheus or Lavry Blue.
Beatport | Timothyallan.com | Twitter | Mixing/Mastering/Tutoring |
EDM Video Tutorials
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16
orpheus are amazing but a Universal Audio 610 could do same job providing existing sounds card is at a reasonable level plus its cheaper to get a UA160 as opposed to an orpheaus which has that added brand name $$$
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essi View Post

orpheus are amazing but a Universal Audio 610 could do same job providing existing sounds card is at a reasonable level plus its cheaper to get a UA160 as opposed to an orpheaus which has that added brand name $$$

The universal audio 610 is a microphone preamp... what does it have to do with the original question?
chickenbum +

Times thanked
< 28
Any opinions on the UA Apollo yet? Anyone got their hands on one of them?
Essi +

ITM ATM

Times thanked
< 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasketCase View Post

The universal audio 610 is a microphone preamp... what does it have to do with the original question?

its more than that i ran my virus C through it sounded way better than straight into my FF800
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8
Dammit!!! why mention the orpheus!!!! i actually forgot about that beast...

@timmothyallan, do you know anywhere i could have a listen to it??? because there is no way i am spending $5000 on something i haven't tried myself
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Essi View Post

its more than that i ran my virus C through it sounded way better than straight into my FF800

It isn't really 'more than that'. That is what mic preamps do... there are 100s of options in that department, which all add different sonic flavours. It is another question entirely.
dn-ul +

yooo

Times thanked
< 1,174

get this and let me know how it goes
opiate +

Times thanked
< 43
Skrillex said Massive sounds fatter thru M-Audio.
"The funk is a creature...like a giant medicine ball covered in nipples...

It fell from space onto Bootsy Collins' farm and that's how he got The Funk"

http://soundcloud.com/revampd/
soundroid +

Times thanked
< 3

Quote:

The highest quality conversion possible?

Weiss, Lavry gold or Prism.

You will be looking at about $6000 - $12,000 for a stereo A/D converter. If you have a properly designed and built room with correctly positioned acoustic treatment and very high end monitors, you may just benefit from the 3 or 4% increase in quality over stuff that is thousands of dollars cheaper.

Can I ask why you need "the highest quality conversion possible"? Perhaps I am bias, but I find conversion one of the most overrated, and overhyped pieces of gear in any signal chain. Particularly if you are just starting to build up a collection of gear.

A $5000 microphone will sound at the top of its game in 30 year time...
A $5000 set of converters will be an absolute boat anchor...

Some food for thought.

some good observations here basketcase. this thread should probably have been titled 'best Ad/Da converters for a home studio', because the best converters are often those found in mastering rooms and often cost $10k and over.
as much as I love good converters, and God knows I've bought a few for my mastering room over the years, you certainly don't need mastering grade converters for tracking vocals and the like. you're much better off spending dollars on things like acoustic treatment and monitors. I'd say most people's home studios would improve radically if they delayed spending money on the next 'must have' bit of gear and spent it on acoustic treatment.
Joe Carra
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
< 97

Quote:

Originally Posted by dn-ul View Post

get this and let me know how it goes

This is what i want.... not need... want.
Tech-One
soundroid +

Times thanked
< 3

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas View Post

This is what i want.... not need... want.

it's good to see you know the difference between want and need.
Joe Carra
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 604
I would get a pro reverb unit like a Bricasti, before I spent the same amount on converters. If you are a vocalist then a top quality mic & preamp is a better spend.
lowkeyandnude +

Times thanked
< 106
What's your budget? Metric Halo ULN8 or LIO8 are very top shelf...archival grade but aroun $5000-6000 for 8 channels each way. Their ULN-2 is a step down with 2 excellent mic pre amps and 2 in 2 out for about $2000. The MH2882 has good mic pres and 8 in 8 out.

If you are on a Mac that is. The built in DSP is completely latency free and operates without a computer if you want.
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8
I am using a pc and atm i am tossing up between the ssl alphalink, the apollo and the prism orpheus.

@meldavid, i dont need another reverb unit, my peavey valverb and ursa major reverb are doing fine. But i see what you are getting at, its just my current converter is destroyed plus i regard recording as more important than mixing and mastering, especially in my case where both acoustic and electronic instruments are being recorded
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
"...plus i regard recording as more important than mixing and mastering, especially in my case where both acoustic and electronic instruments are being recorded."

Really?

The microphone, microphone technique, recording room environment, mixing and sound design skills, along with composition and arrangement skills, are all gonna make or break a track...

...than a toss up between a $500 or $5000 analog-to-digital converter.

Surely?
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum View Post

"...plus i regard recording as more important than mixing and mastering, especially in my case where both acoustic and electronic instruments are being recorded."

Really?

The microphone, microphone technique, recording room environment, mixing and sound design skills, along with composition and arrangement skills, are all gonna make or break a track...

...than a toss up between a $500 or $5000 analog-to-digital converter.

Surely?

Don't really know what you are getting at????
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Juzzy9 View Post

Don't really know what you are getting at????

Capturing shit in higher fidelity doesn't make shit any less smelly.

I think that is what he is saying.
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Capturing shit in higher fidelity doesn't make shit any less smelly.

I think that is what he is saying.

Ahhhhh ok
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146
Actually, more along the lines of, you've picked the most expensive component that's gonna make the least bit of difference to the finished article.
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Actually, more along the lines of, you've picked the most expensive component that's gonna make the least bit of difference to the finished article.

Well its actually the last component that i need and me and my partner have rounded up some nice equipment for less than we thought so thats why i am willing to fork out for this....

and i do not think it makes the least bit of difference to the finished article
meldavid +

I used to be a raver like you, but then I took a kick to the knee.

Times thanked
< 604
I think you should check out the mid-range units like Yamaha UR824, Roland Octa-Capture, RME Fireface, interfaces that have enough inputs to actually be useful and save the rest of your cash on your future music video or touring travel expenses.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
< 146

Quote:

Well its actually the last component that i need and me and my partner have rounded up some nice equipment for less than we thought so thats why i am willing to fork out for this....

Fair enough if you already have *everything* else.

Do you think the choice of converter (and I'm comparing a recent model midrange prosumer interface versus a top shelf high end unit here, not something utterly woeful) has more impact on the sound than...

- The microphone?
- microphone technique?
- recording room environment?
- mixing and sound design skills, along with?
- composition and arrangement skills?

Again, if you've got everything else sorted, and (potential) money coming in, why not? But I don't buy into the dramatic night day difference that others rave about. Are today's mid level converter stuff better now than the high end stuff from 10 to 15 years ago? Surely they are. Was that high end stuff from 10 to 15 years back really that bad? Surely not. Wheres the list above has an enormous influence to how a tracks sounds, in a night/day kinda way, and how it is received (perceived) by its listening audience.

But the absolute best converter to capture a DSI Prophet 08? Really? Will anyone stop and go wow! Even if they didn't know what it was that reached out and grabbed them about the sound, just that it sounded so much better?
seannash +

Times thanked
< 0
Juzzy can we hear any of your work.
Just interested to hear what your actually doing with all this equipment(not looking to knock it or tear it to shreds)
http://soundcloud.com/seannash/tracks
hpstekno +

Times thanked
< 14

Quote:

i think your gonna be let down .. a lot !!!!

without an incredibly well treated room and incredibly good monitors you aint gonna hear an ounce of difference
hopselectroniks@myspace
MY JJJunearthed page
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Originally Posted by seannash View Post

Juzzy can we hear any of your work.
Just interested to hear what your actually doing with all this equipment(not looking to knock it or tear it to shreds)

Well individually, i make a sort of hiphop/idm fusion similar to that of maybe flylo or jackson and his computer band, that has never been released tho or probably wasn't good enough for a release

but ive been in a bit of a partnership with my friend for a while now making chill wave/ psychedelic sorta tunes similar to cut copy or neon indian and we have had some demo recordings from an old 8 track picked up so now its time to write in a proper environment.

and sorry but i cant show anything right now because the only recording we had, the label now have. But as soon as something is released i will post it up here in the least spammy way possible.....
Juzzy9 +

Ummmm

Times thanked
< 8

Quote:

Fair enough if you already have *everything* else.

Do you think the choice of converter (and I'm comparing a recent model midrange prosumer interface versus a top shelf high end unit here, not something utterly woeful) has more impact on the sound than...

- The microphone?
- microphone technique?
- recording room environment?
- mixing and sound design skills, along with?
- composition and arrangement skills?

Definitely not but you are talking about the converter as an individual piece of equipment, i am just trying to say i value recording as a whole (which include mics, environment and converters ect.) higher than mixing and mastering
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9
The new UADs are getting very good reviews. Personally, i'm not too huge on apogee conversion. Prefer Mytek and Lynx... a bit smoother IMO, apogee's old stuff was a touch hard in the upper mids. Ensemble sounds better, but the build quality is shit (which I guess doesn't matter too much if it lives in a rack).
BasketCase +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by ferretrock View Post

Ensemble sounds better, but the build quality is shit (which I guess doesn't matter too much if it lives in a rack).

I find it strange you say that. I had a lynx aurora and ensemble side by side, and there really wasn't much difference in build quality. Both units have similar front panels, but the ensemble certainly had a cheaper finish on the case... There isn't much difference in build quality between the ensemble/lynx and the digidesign 192's I have either.

They both pale in comparison to "old school" gear. My Manley Labs compressor has a 6mm front panel for example!!
ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
< 9
^ I say it because I've seen one with the knobs snapped off. They felt wobbly before it had been toured, the shafts on the pots just broke with any pressure.

The Mytek only has one knob on the front (if we're talking about the 8x192) and the Digi192s don't have any. Been about a year since I looked at an Aurora.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »