Music News

Australian dance panel: The state of the scene

Tools
crackers4 +

Times thanked
< 19
It's funny how they have similar views with most people you find in the comments on this website about the same old lineups at festivals and too much pop music trying to make sales, yet nothing really seems to be changing...
daverh +

zou bisou

Times thanked
< 479
I think we're pretty spoiled down here and it irks me to see people moaning about A-list DJs coming here frequently - as in once or twice each year. There's a limited pool of artists, and specifically headliners, to draw here yet the gripes still come. Because we're isolated from the northern hemisphere should tours be 'rare'?
mlirosi +

bangin 7gram rocks

Times thanked
< 3,155
It appears dave has acquired a hammer and a nail, and used the hammer to hit the nail directly on the head. anywhere else in the world you would have internationals with residency at a club and can see them once a week i cant understand how everyone will complain about seeing an artist twice or three times a year
haynesyy +

Armin Only on nye!!

Times thanked
< 1
I agree with you mlirosi. Although I think the biggest issue is set selection. Take Armin for example, I've seen him play a club set here, Armin Only and his Summerfieldayze Stereosonic stints. SFD and Stereo both the sets were just his tracks promoting Mirage, while the club set back in 09 was more like an A State of Trance episode with a bunch of good tunes mixed with his hits to get everyone excited. So that's where overseas seeing a DJ every week is about good music and having fun, whereas festivals here involve a lot more of that DJ's hits and not a great deal of creativity. Probably the reason why punters complain about seeing the same thing twice.
mlirosi +

bangin 7gram rocks

Times thanked
< 3,155
yer i can agree with that, just take stereo 2011, dirty south, kaskade and carl coz had all released albums within months of them touring and they use festivals such as the 'stereo circuit' as a promotional weapon
jimmenyC +

Hard wood

Times thanked
< 217
Was this article focused on the state of the 'scene' or festival scene specifically....
stable +

Is about CAPACITY

Times thanked
< 104
Wade is my hero.
khas +

Times thanked
< 31
'The kids are getting savvier, and they don%u2019t want to see the same acts every time.'

As I interpreted; 'we can't keep shoveling them the same shit like we used to'
Ckikos +

Times thanked
< 2
Pretty bias panel
ALL_CAPS +

Times thanked
< 2
Firstly, interesting panel composition. Cawood and James should not be there, end of story.

Secondly, insightful observations from Nugent.

Bev claims his competition is nothing like Next Top Model yet the promo is EXACTLY like it.

Kaz James doesn't trouble the scorers, much like his career these days.

Wade Cawood arrived in Sydney 6 years ago and according to him there was nothing beforehand and no one promoted anything decent. Nowadays Sydney has got slightly better, according to Cawood, and has one half-decent venue. He neglects to mention he's banned from using most other venues in Sydney. He really fails to mention anything beyond Sydney, in fact anything beyond himself - proving neatly why he should never have been on the panel.

Richie Rich explains courteously and almost apologetically to Cawood why he can't enter into a collusive price-fixing arrangement with Future Entertainment.

Oh the lols. As Crackers said, they talk a good game but nothing is really changing. As long as they get the kids' money right?
rubbishtalk +

Times thanked
< 11
Interesting read!
The main reason why there aren't any great clubs in Sydney is because the rent is so expensive and the liquor licensing laws screw you. I had a friend try to start a club and he said it just was not financially viable whereas places like Berlin have super cheap rent which allows creativity to flourish...
laurenx +

Times thanked
< 2
There's a few times in this article when Wade sounds like he's frustrated, possibly because the other guys weren't really listening. It's true what he's saying about clubs, but no one really offered any solutions. This is why the scene has shifted to more warehouse/underground/interesting spaces. I don't remember the last time I went to a club. Promoters/club owners need to give us a good reason to get back to clubs. Until then I'm quite happy partying in warehouses where you can take your own drinks, security is chilled and the people are there for the music.
rolf harris +

I can't get no, satisfaction

Times thanked
< 185
there is no scene in Australia, well if you call a scene a hand full of clubs in Melbourne,Sydney, Perth and Brisbane playing quality music whilst the rest play top 40 garbage and over priced,crowded festivals in summer a scene then yay.
Weinertron +

random shoutbox generator

Times thanked
< 934
Good point laurenx. I haven't been attracted to the idea of going to the club for aages. Clubs are highly regulated these days when compared with going to a club maybe 8-10 years ago (I'm talking about Melbourne here). Going to a warehouse or private function or party in the park or even going bush (doofs!) is a great deal more attractive than heading to the club, not only because of the ability to bring your own drinks but interesting spaces breed creativity and can create a unique vibe.

Whilst I have had some amazing club experiences, after a few years the format did get a bit stale for me and I'm guessing that many punters felt the same - it's no accident that we've had a festival explosion... the market demanded it! When I think of the first few "festivals" I went to (Good Vibes, Parklife, etc) they were excellent because finally here were all my favourite artists in one spot! But, like any other aspect of music, the format is subject to fads and crazes and EDM fans simply got sick of festivals en masse. (the kids still seem to love em though).

In short, I'm not sure where the future of EDM in Australia is headed, but I think festivals are not the answer. And if clubland wants to make a return to people's hearts, they are going to need to make the format new and exciting. I'm not sure how they will manage it, particularly with the financial restrictions (maybe focus on the locals? I dunno) but it needs to be done. Boom. New format. There you go, I solved the problem.

NB: everyone talks about festivals as being a recent thing, but what about all that other stuff people used to go to? Two Tribes, Hardware Universe (@ Kryal), Sunshine People and other nighttime "festivals". Have people forgotten about these? do they not count as "festivals?" why/why not? Maybe a return to night festivals is long overdue....
Fuck Everything Forever
LHolland +

Times thanked
< 4
This discussion was far too short.
Suspekt +

Bring on Rainbow Serpent Festival already!!!

Times thanked
< 9
Would have been nice to include a few panel members not involved with massive major festivals and touring brands... surely that doesn't represent Australia's dance scene to the fullest?

« Previous Thread Next Thread »