Food, Photography and Travel

Now that there's no Wizard Clear Advantage Matercard...

Page 3 of 4
  Tools
mj86 +

Times thanked
< 2
i was just approved with a $3,500 limit and i'm a student (however I have had a credit history with GE and i have an ANZ credit card - which is nearly paid off).

was so easy!
IHAVENOLEGS +

You are a radar detector

Times thanked
< 241

Quote:

Originally Posted by arthur_read View Post

Um all credit card companies are like that - against money laundering policy legislation - the fact that there is no 100 point check and anyone can Bpay the account - if there is no reason for the account in credit, banks assume that you're trying to hide (illegal) money

As somebody who works in AML for a major bank I can tell you that's not the case. More to do with the product not being used in the way it's intended.
Lewis_Woot +

Times thanked
< 0
Optional
I've had the NAB Gold card for quite a few years but just heard about this card. http://www.28degreescard.com.au/ From what I can tell taking out cash at an ATM would incur fees and therefore NAB > 28 deg
tomxon +

Times thanked
< 19

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lewis_Woot View Post

I've had the NAB Gold card for quite a few years but just heard about this card. http://www.28degreescard.com.au/ From what I can tell taking out cash at an ATM would incur fees and therefore NAB > 28 deg

28 degrees is a credit card. NAB gold is
A bank account. There is a different. It's great to have both when you travel. (I now do myself)

As ppl have stated above, you load the credit card with 'extra cash/above your credit limit' and then you are able to withdraw cash using it the same way as a bank account.

I have the nab account for my cash and will use the credit card for booking plane flights/tickets etc.

If people read the whole thread, this is explained on numerous occasions.
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,364
Time to bump this, just got a letter in the mail stating there are changes coming to the NAB Gold card from August 18 on foreign currency transactions.
- $4 ATM withdrawal fee
- $1 per balance enquiry
- 2% foreign currency exchange fee

What a fucking rape party that is?

You can change across to a Traveler card, which is basically a Travelex card.
More info on that here - www.nab.com.au/travelcard

I'll definitely be closing our account and going elsewhere.
Any ideas?
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,364
These are the only 3 (free) cards you need for travelling overseas:

1. Bankwest Mastercard Zero Platinum credit : no account keeping fee, free international n domestic travel insurance ----- use to purchase all tickets and accomodations only, so will qualify for free travel insurance (zurich)

2. 28 Degrees Mastercard credit: no account keeping fee, no international transaction fee, excellent exchanged rate ----- use for purchase goods overseas only. (no so good for cash withdraw because, cash in credit will not protected by bank if money gets stolen, after all this is the credit card not debit card, IYKWIM)

3. Citibank Plus Visa debit: no account keeping fee, no international transaction fee, no atm transaction fee ----- use for withdraw cash overseas. (protected by bank if money gets stolen)
For more information on this post, visit kotaku.com.au/tags/grand-theft-auto-v/
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
I stick with the 28 Degrees CC...never had problems with this card...
[Put Signature Here]

Last edited by Trackmasta: 25-Apr-12 at 09:13pm

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
28 degrees is teh bomb. After my trip I now use it for all my overseas purchases. There's no atm withdrawal fee on it overseas so really can't see why you wouldn't use it unless you're wanting to do your trip on credit and have low cash flow.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,252
^ There's times you gotta have the folding though...used 28 Degrees all over South America with no dramas...only thing with getting cash out is that the interest starts ticking over sooner, straight away I think, rather than purchases getting 55days interest free. But it's still so much better than many other cards as all credit cards I've had charged interest on a cash withdrawal immediately
Pete Gordon - Who Said Prog Was Dead?

My favourite slices of proggy goodness from 2013 (ish)...

http://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/wh...-prog-was-dead
Mr Krust +

Times thanked
< 0
28 degrees is the best. just load up some extra on it every few days $300/500/1000 whatever you need and it can be used as an ATM card with no fees, just do a cash advance and it comes out of your own cash with no fees. I just bpayed a grand onto it every now and then and payed with credit, got cash out etc, just keep an eye on it that when you are getting cash out you still have your own money on there.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
^ Exactly. Random kiwi, there's no interest because it's your own cash above your credit limit. So when it's paid off you put extra money on it and then it becomes like a savings account. Perfect card.
timmy975 +

Times thanked
< 24
Lucky I checked this thread as I'm with NAB and in London at the moment. Looks like I'll be cancelling the gold visa fairly soon and moving onto the 28 degrees.
Thanks
muli_ +

?

Times thanked
< 37
the 28 degrees card loads on in AU $ correct?

Wanting to stock up on US $ as it looks like it's about to flop but the 28 degrees card doesn't allow to load local currency?

I was considering loading US $ onto the CBA travel card
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
^ Yeah it does.

Glad I'm traveling to Europe. Hopefully the Euro is even more fucked in 2 months.
mitchy02 +

Times thanked
< 2
so glad to be reading this had the NAB gold card last year, devastating to hear about them changing it. pigs!!
onthebass +

exams...hate them!

Times thanked
< 0
So general consensus is 28Degrees preferred over CBA TravelCard?
---
twitter:: onthebass
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
Man the gold visa rocked, you just log in to internet banking and check how much balance you have. How will this work with the 28 degrees cards? Is there an easy way to check balance online? How fast are transfers from your bank account to the card? How accessible is using this card with foreign ATM machines? Seems like mastercard is not so good for the lesser known cities. What are the fees to transfer money to your 28card?
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510

Quote:

Originally Posted by Movendi View Post

Man the gold visa rocked, you just log in to internet banking and check how much balance you have. How will this work with the 28 degrees cards? Is there an easy way to check balance online? How fast are transfers from your bank account to the card? How accessible is using this card with foreign ATM machines? Seems like mastercard is not so good for the lesser known cities. What are the fees to transfer money to your 28card?

Easy to log in and check balance, there's even a bar graph representation for you. You bpay it and should take a day but you have credit as well so if you went into it the transfer would pay it off as soon as its in. It's very accessible in ATMs, in Europe it didn't fail me in any hostel, shop, ATM, restaurant etc. and often when other peoples didn't work. There are no fees to transfer money to it.
mischa21 +

yessum

Times thanked
< 3,072
so glad I read all this, useful stuff thanks
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
And just saying...

28 Degrees won the Best Travel Money Card Award for 2012...
[Put Signature Here]
dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
Got my 28D card in the mail the other week, thanks to the advice from this thread. Will be loading it up and using it in NZ in a few weeks time. Much better option than the cash passport I used last year...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogan Josh

My dad's old fuck buddy, my mum, just sees my dad as a buddy these days.
Which suits me tbh.

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
So just so I am clear on this card (which I have already applied for and will be sent out this week), you load up the card via BPAY with funds from your bank account and then essentially use it as a normal ATM card? This takes a day or two to process, and will then just convert to the currency rate at the time in your relevant country where you are withdrawing money from?

Also, if I withdraw from a Barclays ATM in London, this looks to be a partner with Westpac so no ATM fee at all yeah?

If the answer is yes to all those questions, what an impressive card.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,252
^ no fees charged by 28 Degrees no matter where you use the card...you may still incur fees from the owner of the machine you're using just like you do here though...but as for 28 Degrees, nope, no charge...no currency conversion fee, no percentage of transaction charge, nothing...interest charged on cash advances from that date though (if drawing money from credit, nothing if drawing from money you'd already put on the card.

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
Awesome, cheers. Pretty much the perfect travel/purchasing goods overseas card.

OnL - Weathering Shifts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
It is. It's serving me well now on my second euro trip within a year. Happy we could help you all.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
Seriously this thread should be stickied and the thread titled renamed to "Need a travel card? Get 28 degrees"
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
We should get commission from 28 Degrees at this rate!
[Put Signature Here]
DirtyKnees +

Times thanked
< 419
You guys wouldn't believe how many people get a 28 degrees card, a small loan, fill up the card with the loan funds and use it to move o/s and never pay their financier back. >_>
My boss used the 28 degrees card in thailand earlier in the year and she said it worked really well for her, she was using the citibank alternative before she went and said it was significantly better use while traveling.

as for getting paid commissions to flog GE's products? I do.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
28 degrees PR department would be undoubtedly aware of this thread. And loving it. Get them young kids hooked for life.
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
Got the 28 degrees and pretty disappointed that i wasn't informed anywhere on the PDS or anyone here saying that you CAN'T top more than the $1000 credit limit. How exactly is that like a travel card when you only have a $1000 to spend? I'll be going to places where there's no internet access so i can't exactly check my balance and then BPAY monies to 28degrees. Furthermore i talked with the rep and he said the CARD WILL BE LOCKED if you top up more than a $1000 WTF?

Screw this i'm going to go with citibank plus and use the 28degrees as a backup card, too much hassle and restrictions.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
Nobody said it here because you can top it up over your credit limit as we've all said we do. I've just done that for the past month as I traveled Europe and no angry emails from 28 degrees.

When I'm not traveling I use it as my CC for foreign purchases so don't think they would wanna lose that business just for my bit of traveling.
Trackmasta +

Times thanked
< 137
You always love a good rant from retards...
[Put Signature Here]
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
well it's the retard representative that explicitly told me over the phone that "no you can't do this". I called another rep and they said no that's fine. I guess indian call centers aren't fully trained to answer simple inquiries.

Anyway i'm still going to stick with citibank plus card as i don't have to worry whether i'm going into my credit or not.

So primary travel card: citibank plus
backup: 28degrees
Whitey1981 +

Ain't no stopping me.

Times thanked
< 2,364
Dumb. Drunk. Racist. 2 Credit Cards.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whitey1981 View Post

Dumb. Drunk. Racist. 2 Credit Cards.

Nail. Head.

Currently in Europe, using 28 degrees without any issues daily. Still got a backup card though if the limit becomes a sticking point (very unlikely given just about everyone's experiences so far with the card)

OnL - Weathering Shifts

Quote:

Originally Posted by ianwil1976 View Post

I can't bring myself to even click on the Hidden stuff, man. I'm sorry. I think he makes the musical equivalent of the feeling you'd have after coming down from a 72 hour ice binge and finding you've skull fucked your grandmother to death.

dow_ney +

Times thanked
< 56
So I used the card with no issues for cash out and a bunch of purchases on a trip to NZ recently.

A small word of caution though. I loaded the card with cash over the credit limit and read all the advice about making sure your cash withdrawl doesn't drop the balance below the credit limit. Well, I got money out as soon as I got off the plane, all sweet. I then went and paid for a rental car 30 mins later, with the credit card. When I got home I noticed that I was charged interest, and I can only assume that is because the rental car transation was processed before the cash out.

The interest charge was a whole $0.88 total, so no issue at all, but had I known that might happen I probably wouldn't have cared about loading up the card above the limit in the first place.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogan Josh

My dad's old fuck buddy, my mum, just sees my dad as a buddy these days.
Which suits me tbh.

dandelion__ +

resident titspert

Times thanked
< 201

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

Nail. Head.

Currently in Europe, using 28 degrees without any issues daily. Still got a backup card though if the limit becomes a sticking point (very unlikely given just about everyone's experiences so far with the card)

Awesome. Good to hear the card works a little better than their customer service department

I'm using the 28 degrees as my backup, but looking into getting a Commbank travel money card as there are minimal fees compared with using my standard debit. Anyone else had any experience with this card?
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
Why wouldn't you use it as your primary card? it's the best card going round for traveling.
Movendi +

Times thanked
< 0
I think some people here are a little too evangelical over a credit card that wasn't meant to be used as a ATM... they're probably just employees of the company... i really can't see this being an ideal primary card because you are screwed if gets stolen with your own topped up cash. Someone can easily go on a spending spree pressing credit and you won't be covered squat. You also bare the high risk of dipping into credit where you usually have dodgy internet access and you don't want to acces sensitive bank information over a dodgy public wifi. Too much too worry about for something that should ideally give you peace of mind, and this doesn't give you that. That's why i think too it's only best used for backup when your primary card is lost/stolen.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008
Two months into my travels and the 28 degrees card is working like a trooper. Not one issue regarding withdrawing money or loading up the card.
mikewebster +

Professionally LDN'd

Times thanked
< 157
The interest I pay would be less than any cash out fees I would incur. With out a doubt.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ralph Wiggum

Heyyyy, it's fucking Mike Webster

primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
< 2,008

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikewebster View Post

The interest I pay would be less than any cash out fees I would incur. With out a doubt.

Can you clarify this please? Not sure how interest is even a factor with 28 degrees if you are simply using it as a load up debit style card to avoid cash out fees. Using it as a credit card will definitely incur much higher interest than other cards out there regardless.
debaser86 +

Times thanked
< 451

Quote:

Originally Posted by dow_ney View Post

So I used the card with no issues for cash out and a bunch of purchases on a trip to NZ recently.

A small word of caution though. I loaded the card with cash over the credit limit and read all the advice about making sure your cash withdrawl doesn't drop the balance below the credit limit. Well, I got money out as
soon as I got off the plane, all sweet. I then went and paid for a rental car 30 mins later, with the credit card. When I got home I noticed that I was charged interest, and I can only assume that is because the rental car transation was processed before the cash out.

The interest charge was a whole $0.88 total, so no issue at all, but had I known that might happen I probably wouldn't have cared about loading up the card
above the limit in the first place.

Cash transactions are processed instantly while credit transactions take a few days to hit your account so I dot know how that is possible? Are you sure you didn't use all 'your' money on the card and then used a portion of the 'credit' facility on the card? This may have caused a small amount of interest to accrue.
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
< 2,257
**** Bump ****

Heading to Chile & Argintina in a couple of weeks.

What's going to be my best option? I'm thinking about applying for a 28 degrees master card due to the fact that there's no fees and I'll be withdrawing in pesos.

I've used the CBA travel money card before without any issues however they don't seem to offer this service for anything but the major currencies.

Anyone have any experience in using the 28 degrees in the less well traveled countries?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Astro-Boy View Post

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs...ark/mt-hotham/

I will run/walk/crawl that in under 7 hours no later than 31DEC14.

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Hotham is only 30km, I'm planning to do that as one of my long training runs.

kanni +

in za mikkusu ^-^

Times thanked
< 749
^ have you had a look in the Tripadvisor forums?

e.g.: http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowTo....html#47496924

my bf has used the card when we went to Japan but that's about all so no personal experience in other countries.. >.<
martindagun +

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tobi View Post

**** Bump ****

Heading to Chile & Argintina in a couple of weeks.

What's going to be my best option? I'm thinking about applying for a 28 degrees master card due to the fact that there's no fees and I'll be withdrawing in pesos.

I've used the CBA travel money card before without any issues however they don't seem to offer this service for anything but the major currencies.

Anyone have any experience in using the 28 degrees in the less well traveled countries?

I took both a Citibank card and 28 degrees card when I went to both these countries this year. Had no problems what so ever.

How ever both these countries charge you when you withdraw money from their ATM's. I couldn't find one in Chile without the fee, and its about $5 or something. In Argentina make sure you withdraw money from Citibank ATM's, and then you won't get charged even if you use 28 degrees.
Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
< 2,257
Thanks!

Did you load the 28 degrees with your own cash then use it to make cash withdrawals?

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

Tobi +

Puck Bunny

Times thanked
< 2,257
From the Link Kanni posted I found some really useful information on this link - http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...76&p=80&#r1583

Some interesting points in that link

Q: How much extra cash can I load on to the card?
A: General consensus is that you can load only as much as your credit limit. e.g. 2000 limit. can add an additional 2000.

Q: How much can I withdrawl?
A: you are limited to withdrawing what you credit limit is in a month
If your limit is $1500, even if you put in $3000 the most you will be able to withdraw is $1500
(Another user states: 'But the most you can withdraw per day from an ATM is $1000, and from a bank counter $2000')

Does anyone know if these statements are correct?

Quote:

Your move, Tobi.

Quote:

martindagun +

Times thanked
< 5

Quote:

Thanks!

Did you load the 28 degrees with your own cash then use it to make cash withdrawals?

Yeah I just put on cash every few days.

I didn't really test out how much you can put on, as I always left about $1000 in balance on it and then just Bpay'd more over when needed. I personally think this is the best way, as if you set it up from your normal bank account before you go. It only takes a day to go through.

And I had two of my mates wallets get stolen in SA. And my 28 degrees card got skimmed in Brazil, and money was taken from it and then the card was cancelled. I got it all back when I returned to Australia, but it was only like $250. Where if someone took $1000's, I'm sure the banks wouldn't be so keen to return it.

So I recommend having the Citibank card as a backup, just in case something happens. And also I think a saw a few times where a bank doesn't accept Mastercard, so Visa came in handy. Don't think this was in Chile or Argentina though.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
< 1,252

Quote:

Funnily enough I got a 28 Degrees card specifically for trip to Chile, Argentina and Brazil...didn't have any dramas with it whatsoever...stick with purchases in stores and cash withdrawals only from actual bank ATMs, the ones behind a door you have to open by scanning your card, much much more secure.

Miswah had a few issues with a cash travel card as A) it doesn't have a chip and B) it doesn't have a name on it, some stores are super iffy about them as you can't prove anything with ID, sure, the signature matches, but there's no name on the card so what good is that? And some places didn't like you using a PIN with a credit card sans chip.

I was actually amazed at how much more forward these places were in regards to credit card payment...split bills? No fucking problem...8 people all wanting to pay seperately? No fucking problem...handheld credit card machine comes to your table.

Fucking Aussie and it's 'no split bills' and '$X minimum spend' to pay on card...get with the year 2013 already

Page 3 of 4

« Previous Thread Next Thread »