The Music Studio

How good do you think you are at assessing your own music?

Tools
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6
How good do you think you are at assessing your own music?
I think it is a truism to say that most people involved within a creative field have some difficulty in assessing their own work objectively - whether they admit it or not.

I'd be interested your thoughts on this. How good are you at assessing your own output? Do you know quickly which projects are worth developing, or which should be ditched? Are you getting faster at this process as you gain more experience?

Any techniques for gaining an objective perspective on your work? I've found that if I work on a lot of basic ideas, quickly, and then not listen to them for say, a month - when I go back and listen to them all in sequence, I gain a sense of 'distance' that gives me a greater sense of objectivity on their merit.

I find that some ideas that I thought were great at the time, dont stand up quite as well, and others that I didn't think much of at the time will stand out on the second, delayed re-listen.

I think that when you have been working for something for a few hours, it totally skews your perception of it, more so if you get 'hung-up' on a detail. Also, listening to things in the immediate context of your other work helps sort the wheat from the chaff.

Keen to hear your thoughts - fire away!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lambretta

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,974
yep, fairly terrible at it

used to think everything i made was awesome (it wasn't)

now i think everything i make is terrible (it probably isn't)

maybe in the future i will think it's pretty good and it will be pretty good (hopefully)
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

Oh I'm sick of all this talk about sexual things, it's so disgusting and it's not natural.

Why cant we just watch normal healthy things such as hundreds and hundreds of people being blown to shit for being foreign by some muscular hero?

opiate +

Times thanked
< 43
I've gotten better at it as I've grown older.

When I was in my teens and early 20's I thought all my music was fucking top shit and I'd own the planet in no time. If anyone criticised my music they were jealous ****s. There'd be imaginary groupies on their knees under my desk as I'd rock out to what I'd made. And the latest track was always the best.

I'm not that good at gauging which of my tunes are better than the others. I often rely on other's feedback for that. But my overall opinion of my own tunes is a lot more accurate than it once was.
"The funk is a creature...like a giant medicine ball covered in nipples...

It fell from space onto Bootsy Collins' farm and that's how he got The Funk"

http://soundcloud.com/revampd/
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101
It is indeed hard to objectively comment on my objectivity.

Probably once you emerge from the first genre you've produced in you start to realise where you sit as a producer in terms of skill, mixing or otherwise.
Citizen +

Publisher, Entrepreneur

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fewsion View Post

Probably once you emerge from the first genre you've produced in you start to realise where you sit as a producer in terms of skill, mixing or otherwise.

Hmmm.....thats an interesting comment to make. Why do you say this?

What if you've made several divergent genres straight-off-the-bat? (and no, I don't just mean techno AND house!)

Quote:

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
< 3,946
I hear every error and see all the room for improvement on a "finished" track, but simply have to put it down and keep making stuff.

Improvements for me happen on 2 levels. Technically, and creatively. Some tracks might be mixed and mastered better but don't go anywhere creatively ... others might have whizz bang crazy innovative ideas, but be executed in a piss poor way.
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Fewsion +

Registered troll

Times thanked
< 101

Quote:

Originally Posted by Citizen View Post

Hmmm.....thats an interesting comment to make. Why do you say this?

What if you've made several divergent genres straight-off-the-bat? (and no, I don't just mean techno AND house!)

Only speaking (subjectively) from my experience, but I've found that once you lose interest in your first genre or find another genre that interests you and you start producing complete songs (not talking 8-16-32 bar loops) that are 90% there then you start to learn where you were really at.
Conor- +

Incorrectly using the semi colon; since 1996

Times thanked
< 1,397
I like the idea of taking a break from it - I found so many errors or parts to fix up. I just adds perspective to the track.
camlv +

Yeah nah

Times thanked
< 513
I think I'm a reasonable judge but I don't know if I am good at judging my ability to judge.

You can always go by the rule of if it gives you chills then its good
http://soundcloud.com/talismusic
dyLABs +

Times thanked
< 22

Quote:

Originally Posted by camlv View Post

You can always go by the rule of if it gives you chills then its good

agreed
Melbourne Acid - Acidboxblues
Beatport
Facebook
BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
< 2,974
hang on, what are we talking about again
Digitalgrub +

Times thanked
< 83
I just get my girlfriend to listen to it - if it's good she'll respond, if it's average she gets bored and starts talking about something else.
Dragon Dreaming Festival - 25-27 October @ Canberra - Prog/Psytrance

Soliton Drop Festival - 10-12 January @ NSW - Prog/Psytrance

Hard NV - 1 February - @NV Nightclub, Canberra - Hard Techno

Brotherhood - 8 February @Canberra Warehouse - Techno/Trance

Kazuki.com.au

« Previous Thread Next Thread »