Monitor Recommendations

Tools
Henry Johnstone +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<
Monitor Recommendations
Hey All,

Bought a pair of KRK 8 '' Rokits a year or so back and I have to admit I'm not too happy with them. Predominantly use them for having a mix but also listening to vinyl sometimes. I find they lack in the low end a lot and when DJing the sound clarity sucks and makes it difficult to mix. To be honest I think they're almost "too good", in that they let the sound come through flat and untouched - so really they're designed more for producing.

SO...what can you recommend me instead?

Cheers.
beats & pieces
Teknikall +

Times thanked
<
You seriously think they lack bass? I ruled them out when I was looking for monitors because I thought they had too much low end. What gear do you have hooked into it? Could be the mixer? Or if nothing is at fault purchase a sub.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derelict

Rename thread to 'Jrod asks stupid questions, receives good answers, ignores advise'.

trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<
KRK 8" are bassy as fuck, that being said I am still amazed at the amount of people that buy monitors just to dj on. If you are doing nothing but djing or listening to music you would far better off with a good quality hifi setup.
http://soundcloud.com/hifire

Catch me playing @

Gangarang @ Rumpus Room 8th of June
Junkyard Sessions @ Rumpus Room 16th of June
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
spot on there.....

studio monitors dont necessarily sound "nice"
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouble hifire View Post

If you are doing nothing but djing or listening to music you would far better off with a good quality hifi setup.

Totally, but a good hi fi system costs more than a pair of nice quality studio monitors, and takes up more space...the 'plug and play' aspect of monitors is pretty awesome, eh?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
crowy +

odd user

Times thanked
<
i love mixing on my Rockits for the easy plug and play side of thing and think the sound is fine. Im no audio perfectionist though i might be easily please.
meh..
trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by crowy View Post

i love mixing on my Rockits for the easy plug and play side of thing and think the sound is fine. Im no audio perfectionist though i might be easily please.

I'm constantly amazed by how good your little 5" rockits sound Ayns, for the size they kick out some pretty serious bottom end. Hence being confused by the 8"'s not being bassy enough.

I'm not one to talk really, the majority of my mixing and general listening is done off my NS-10s / SBX-10 setup (no space for another set of speakers at present). It's perfect for writing music but badly mixed/recorded/etc music sounds like absolute ass.

Catch me playing @

trouble hifire +

wax addict

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

Totally, but a good hi fi system costs more than a pair of nice quality studio monitors, and takes up more space...the 'plug and play' aspect of monitors is pretty awesome, eh?

I think it depends on what you find, I used to mix through a old set of 70's pioneer speakers hooked up to a cheap amp. Overall I think it cost me about $150 and sounded fantastic.

Catch me playing @

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Yeah, old hi fi is getting hard to find now though, plus the speaker sizes are weird/awkward/hard to position as well as you can monitors...and stereo amps don't fit in the Ikea Expedit

With all the way that it's a nicer sound though...will one day invest in some serious hi fi, but for now, monitors and a sub does the trick

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Fledz +

Royal Astrological Metaphysician

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,163 Times in 3,050 Posts
If you're getting Rokits, the 6 is the sweet spot unless you have a small room in which case the 5s are more than sufficient. They are fine for DJing. Yes they lack clarity but you don't use them as studio monitors so it's not that bad.
minimal_damage +

Times thanked
<
want bass? just got a pair of krk rp10-3's hooked up to my db4 with some good quality xlr cables. loving the sound. i've auditioned them against krk 6's and 8's (both vxt and rokit series - didnt consider the 5's as they are too small for a relatively large lounge room). also auditioned event 2030s. the 10's are miles ahead out of all of them. warm buttery bass with crisp mids and highs cutting through like a hot knife - really brings out the classic A&H xone sound. my only issue was with the misses who didnt like the idea of having 2 large f*ck-off speakers with bright yellow domes sitting in our lounge.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
women, eh?

The KRK 8's crank, I bet the 10's are a fucking dream!

Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

my 80s JVC amp = $30

my 3 way kit speakers = $150 (could possibly be found cheaper)

admittedly those bits of kit were picked up a few years ago, but if you keep your eyes on gumtree, it's easy to snap up similar bargains.

As for space considerations ... personally, enjoyment of my music takes precedent over space aesthetics. Mine actually sit neatly atop my records.

Old pic from previous house/setup

For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<
I have a pair of M-Audio BX8as that I've been using for DJing at home, and they're still going strong after 5 and a half years. Nice clean bassy sound (which I like for DJing).
anditz +

Times thanked
<
You don't have to spend bucket loads of cash to get a half decent stereo to mix with. Search gumtree as said above. If you want bass and clarity get a 3/4-way system. Leave the monitors for production.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »