House, Techno and Progressive

Berghain

Tools
Lukey +

Puke

Times thanked
<
I went last weekend - caught ben frost and mika vainio play. Ben ripped.

True that berlin locals mostly look elsewhere these days. However They all go back at 7am once main crowds are gone.

It is an epic venue - cant deny that. I think tresor is just as epic.

Wax treatments at horst has probably been my favourite clubbing gig
ratticus +

facebook.com/thepublicworksdepartment

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,477 Times in 893 Posts
I'd love to get to a Wax Treatment night

Permanent clearance by: #1-01
debaser86 +

Times thanked
<
So much stroke.
bobmoog +

Times thanked
<
Arriving at the Berghain in August last year at 9am on Sunday after a great sleep and a wholesome breakfast then partying for 14 hours straight with MCDE tearing it up in the garten - was something else!
ShinyDiscoball +

Times thanked
<
faaaaaack just ONE NIGHT with an all star techno cast & you would be royally techno fulfilled
http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?326137

WEEK IN WEEK OUT THE LINEUPS & MUSIC DELIVERS!!!

ALL HAIL THE MECCA!

Instant Sam +

Times thanked
<
Fark - beam me up, scotty
party_chica +

richard d james soundlab = heaven on earth

Times thanked
<
went to berlin last month, got into berghain = highlight of the trip almost!! we read up loads on peoples rants/tips for getting in, the worst thing was that i was so nervous i couldnt help but keep staring at the bouncers. all good, rudimentary german got us through, managed to order drinks and just LOVED the music - we missed out on Joy Orbison (the week after! DAMN) but loved the music in the Panorama Bar (Knights of the Jaguar? RAVINNGGG) and then the main room was outstanding! We got in after midnight, had to go home at 530 - just too crazy, it was getting pretty steamy with the gay clubbers on the dancefloor and we didnt want to see anything that couldnt be unseen! probably heard some of the hardest techno via norman nodge on the main floor, the lighting and sound was SO good...no sore ears the next day. cant say the same about passive smoking, seriously insane amount of smoking inside the place.

wish we had more time to go to watergate and tresor,...
I'm the chick who drops sick flows fill bowls with ill flows ill ho hell knows pantyhose holes full of No Doz

- da one n only princess superstar
sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
<
You left at 5:30? That's when things get started haha... great to hear you had fun!

I think the best way to approach the whole scenario of getting rejected is if you don't get let into Berghain then you can go to Watergate, Club del Visionaere, Tresor or even some of the other smaller clubs. So many options. Party city
party_chica +

richard d james soundlab = heaven on earth

Times thanked
<
hahaha yeah we had to meet friends early the next day (my dad's mate, couldnt get out of it) and needed sleep! ahh well, wasnt the warmest weather for raving in the garden, next time i guess! like you say, we werent fussed about where to go next. best thing was, totally dressed like i was going out in adelaide on a thursday night - prob what got us in! that and being over 30, and not drunk/rowdy
I'm the chick who drops sick flows fill bowls with ill flows ill ho hell knows pantyhose holes full of No Doz

- da one n only princess superstar
muse +

Times thanked
<
Don't feel bad, Joy Orbison was pretty crap that night. I don't know what got into him, so much middle of the road tech house :-o
claude glass +

Times thanked
<
Berlin can do that to you... better be careful
eazye +

Times thanked
<
I recently got back from a trip to Berlin and Berghain is just insane. I have never experienced music like that in my life, the place truly is in another time space continuum - 13, 19, 24 hours it all felt went way too quickly (no chems). The guys running the show have clearly hit the nail on the head refining the "brand" from the Ostgut days to modern day Berghain. Everything about the place works... The door policy, the mind assaulting noise as you leave the coatcheck area and head into the dark depths of Berghain, the crowd and what happens on and around the dancefloor, the look and feel of the club, etc it's all just perfect.

Has anyone here been to the Lab? I ventured in there on a Friday night and I must say it is a very cool area/space and if that kind of thing doesn't bother you, it is just another club. The people are friendly and everything is 'kosher' it is a must see if you are game.
sounds_echoed +

stasis is death. see you on the other side.

Times thanked
<
The Black Dog: Live at Berghain

Recorded: October 2011

The Black Dog: "We'd been booked to play with Xhin and Surgeon, so we knew it would be a great night of full-on spectrum techno. We actually went to Berghain in the day to fine tune our set and to hear our new tracks on their system, the sound guy helped us tune up certain parts of the tracks so they'd sound better on the system. We just practiced until it was time to open as we knew it would be another six months before we had a chance to spend hours playing on a system like that

"Berghain is always good for us, we never had a bad reception there and even when we've tried new things out the crowd have followed us, which is a beautiful thing. The venue has such a good crew, sound system and knowledgable crowd that you couldn't ask for more really.

"We love Berghain because of the scale and the brutal design, it's very Sheffield and feels like home to us but we also love lot of other places as well, we celebrate difference. It does have the same aesthetic as many of the buildings in Sheffield, we played at Park Hill flats recently with Richard H Kirk and Sandwell District, that definitely had the "Berghain" vibe! The reason ours remain empty is it's too difficult to start something here, Bergahin may be having problems with GEMA but we bet that's way easier than dealing with our council and police force."

Tracklist:

01. Silent Escape
02. Bird Siren
03. Eden 353
04. Bass Mantra
05. Greedy Gutter Guru
06. Only Concrete & Steel
07. Black Chamber Order
08. Single Light Focus
09. Beauty In The Fear (The Black Dog's DOP Mix for Luke Slater)
10. Distant Kick
11. Dissident Bleep
pliaka01 +

Times thanked
<
So has anyone be turned away trying to get into Berghain? Heading to Berlin in April mainly to check this place out and a few other clubs.
eazye +

Times thanked
<
Yep, the first time I tired I was turned away from 9:30am - 2:30pm. If you do get knocked back, just accept it and move on, don't ask why or kick up a stink - this will diminish your chances at getting in later on that day or on another day. The bouncers seem to rotate every 1-5 hours, so go back to your room, change clothes and try again.

If you are male you can go to the Lab (www.lab-oratory.de), stay awhile, get a stamp, go back to Berghain, skip the line and enter at a discounted price. Check what event is on at the Lab before you enter, you may get more than you bargained for and note that entry times are strictly for 2 hours (10pm-12:00am or 4:00pm-6:00pm) all the info you need is on their site
pliaka01 +

Times thanked
<
Cheers for the info mate. Haha the Lab does look a little different.

Any other (Techno) clubs in Berlin you can recommended?
eazye +

Times thanked
<
Lol, it is, but it is fun

There are plenty there, a lots of little pop up parties. A must see though are Tresor, Watergate & Sisyphos
pliaka01 +

Times thanked
<
Cheers mate.
deep audio +

blah!

Times thanked
<
KaterHolzig is a great place as well.
Without music, life would be a mistake.
eazye +

Times thanked
<
Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. It stays open for what seems like forever, great setting by the lake
deep audio +

blah!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by eazye View Post

Oh yeah, I forgot about that place. It stays open for what seems like forever, great setting by the lake

Great music and vibe at Kater
Without music, life would be a mistake.
yashpalaegis +

Times thanked
<
I was there last weekend on Friday night. Only Panorama Bar upstairs was open, but it was pretty mental nonetheless. Trust me Im a rare breed, love my music with a passion from all broads of genres, yet am specific in what I like.
Acid_Eiffel +

Times thanked
<
https://soundcloud.com/#kirkdegiorgi...de-to-berghain
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
<
^ nicccce

Abstract Division - 1,5 hour cut of our 5 hour set we played at the Berghain, December 29th 2012.

http://soundcloud.com/abstractdivisi...cht-29-12-2012

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

Juxtpose +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by marksound View Post

My friend just got back from a Berlin trip. He fucked a guy with a metal baseball bat in Berhgain.

which end of the bat did he use? haha
Soundcloud
Juxtpose +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TECHiONE View Post

Will be there the next few w/ends, Redshape, Ben Klock, Shed, Surgeon...

Woah!
Mouth watering..
Soundcloud
pliaka01 +

Times thanked
<
Wow what a crazy club but I had the best time ever.
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,334 Times in 1,288 Posts
So only just realised HMC played at Berghain on the 08/06, main room set 09:00 - 12:00 on the Sunday morning. FUUUUUU
pomrocks +

Does it Deep

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,013 Times in 670 Posts
he actually ended up playing in pbar yest.......though i fell asleep & missed it :\
Playing at;

Gigs & stuff - Dave Stuart - DJ Page

SHRUG
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

So only just realised HMC played at Berghain on the 08/06, main room set 09:00 - 12:00 on the Sunday morning. FUUUUUU

Shitballs. Surely it has been recorded.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pomrocks View Post

he actually ended up playing in pbar yest.......though i fell asleep & missed it :\

FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
Had some friends in Berlin who were there for both if his gigs, apparently tore the roof off Berghain
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<
Man if I had known about either gigs ahead of time I would have flown straight in from Edinburgh. Hopefully he is doing some gigs in the UK on the way back.
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
still quite a few UK dates....

daysofourlives +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by primalstatik View Post

Was a ripper of a night / morning. Got lucky that it coincided with my trip to see Depeche Mode on the Sunday. Awesome venue, not too busy, friendly crowd, good music. Saw a few things going on at the fringes but nothing more shocking than the few other gay clubs I've been too.
Acperience 1 +

Times thanked
<
Yeah well......

Saturday 12 October 2013
Line-up /
Berghain
Zenker Brothers
Petar Dundov (live)
Truncate
Alex.Do
Inigo Kennedy
Marcel Fengler
Luke Hess
Recondite (live)
Sandrien
Rødhåd

Panorama Bar
Acid Maria
Matthew Dekay
Deetron
Ame (live) + DJ-set
nd_baumecker
Henrik Schwarz (live)
Levon Vincent
Dixon
Gerd Janson
Thomas Hammann

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?505300

Quote:

I don't go to be in the VIP area.. I don't need big breaks, a big song with a buildup and lights and smoke.. all you need is a kickdrum and a good bassline. You don't need any of that other shit. Na, I'm not going for none of those reasons.. I'm just going for the music.

bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<
Mother of god
muse +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Acperience 1 View Post

Yeah well......

Saturday 12 October 2013
Line-up /
Berghain
Zenker Brothers
Petar Dundov (live)
Truncate
Alex.Do
Inigo Kennedy
Marcel Fengler
Luke Hess
Recondite (live)
Sandrien
Rødhåd

Panorama Bar
Acid Maria
Matthew Dekay
Deetron
Ame (live) + DJ-set
nd_baumecker
Henrik Schwarz (live)
Levon Vincent
Dixon
Gerd Janson
Thomas Hammann

http://www.residentadvisor.net/event.aspx?505300

attending cannot wait to see Recondite actually, have wanted to see him for ages.
debaser86 +

Times thanked
<
Recondites lwe set is beyond good. Really want to see him.
MongooseFiend +

Times thanked
<
I went with my girlfriend while I was there a few months ago and we got turned away. Given how long I'd waited I wasn't really that fussed by the time it happened and was kinda glad I could go to bed.

It's a whole lot of wank and I feel sorry for anyone who supports it. I'm really disappointed in myself for doing it as I did.

We walked from Tresor as the night was slowly turning to morning, and as we approached the line it didn't seem that long so figured we'd give it a go. Turns out I was wrong / didn't look carefully enough and the line was fucking huge and we stood there for close to 90mins. I didn't realise just how long until we were 20-30mins in, by which point I didn't want to bail and have wasted time for nothing. I still had no idea it would take quite that long, the entire process where you stand in front of the bouncers while they size you up takes ages when you add everyone up.

I couldn't figure out any continuous reason as to why some got in and others didn't. Large groups of dudes seemed to get nowhere, as did quite visibly trashed people but that was it, everyone else just seemed at absolute random. Despite having been to Tresor in the hours beforehand I was in pretty good shape; my girlfriend and I were both well slept, not on any substances and don't drink alcohol so we certainly looked quite straight.

But the whole thing is wank. By the time I was 45mins in I was over it and not wishing to partake. I was done. Only my own stubbornness stopped me walking away. It was a bit silly as I'd have lasted <2hrs had I got in as I had no wish for any gear on the night.
The line of people all half-tense from the fear of not getting in creates a really sour atmosphere. Often talking about the door policy, each subtly watching those turned away walk back past and around the fence on the way out. No doubt the relief once you get in probably creates an awesome vibe but the whole thing just felt wrong to me. It's not how partying should be.

The closer I got the more I realised it's something I want no part of. The lack of inclusiveness is the antithesis of the parties I frequent and dare I say of the original dance music movement. I'm all for security keeping drunk fuckwits and groups of rowdy lads out of venues but the door at Berghain is something entirely else and I can't imagine why people want to support it. Watching people get to the front and present themselves to the door staff almost like school children walking in to the headmaster's office is depressing. Whether they got in or not it all felt judgmental and fucked.
I'll forever be a bit curious as to just how good a big morning is in that dungeon with my preferred kind of pounding techno, but there are SO MANY other amazing parties out there in so many varied places that I would never again want to support the cunts that run that place with my presence

The fact there's a guy who stands there selling beers to people in line and to those who get rejected and seemed to do quite well out of it tells you all you need to know about the place. An entire small industry built on turning people away for very little good reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason I got turned away was my complete apathy by the time I got to the front. I remember looking at the guy and perversely half-hoping he would turned me away because I was over it. Who knows.
All I know is I'm less disappointed at being turned away and more disappointed I tainted an awesome night watching Dave Clarke tear up at Tresor with a few hrs wasted in that whole experience which is really sad and depressing before you even get near the door. Hearing people around me who'd been turned away earlier but had gone home to change and try again was pretty sad.

Berlin is fucking awesome - and I say that as someone who likes heaps of other types of dance music more than techno - but fuck supporting Berghain, that's for sure.

Last edited by MongooseFiend: 23-Sep-13 at 10:34pm

Orbit48 +

Times thanked
<
Really sorry to hear that! I've been twice got in twice but still think the place is over rated. I have as much fun if not more fun in tresor, big dark room with just a strobe and a massive sound system.

Maybe if I was 10 years younger I might think differently about the place but I've been to far better places than the berghain over the years so I'm not too fussed.

A friend of mine got turned away 5 times last week, he must be mental...you wouldn't get me doing that.
Psyentist +

http://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann/

Times thanked
<
I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member.
Gene Hoffmann at Tresor.Berlin [Sept 2014]
feat. Surgeon, Rrose, Untold, Kangding Ray, Blawan, Green Velvet etc...
Set & tracklist: https://soundcloud.com/gene-hoffmann...lin-3-sep-2014
muse +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MongooseFiend View Post

I wouldn't be surprised if part of the reason I got turned away was my complete apathy by the time I got to the front. I remember looking at the guy and perversely half-hoping he would turned me away because I was over it. Who knows.

I think you're spot on here. The only time I've been refused was when I went to see Laurent Garnier on a Sunday arvo. As I approached the building I could hear the generic beatport tech house LG was playing in pbar..I'm guessing the door guy clocked my contempt/disappointment And he said no. I didn't argue and had a sweet night at CDV

Off topic, why does Laurent Garnier play such shithouse music these days?!
debaser86 +

Times thanked
<
I'm not sure but his live show is still fucking mint.
claude glass +

Times thanked
<
I got turned away in May for the first time when I was taking a Russian friend for her first time there. We actually got the nod and then for some reason he changed his mind and said "wait" or "warten" I'm not sure, and then shook his head.

I should have thicker skin after all these years, but it really soured me of the place. And now I suppose I tend to see it as emblematic of what Berlin is becoming.
muse +

Times thanked
<
Tip - after rejection watch this vid. It makes everything ok, I promise.

Media Player

"Who's spinnin' tonight? DJ go fuck yourself!"
Xelpmok +

Unregistered

Times thanked
<

Quote:

I went with my girlfriend while I was there a few months ago and we got turned away. Given how long I'd waited I wasn't really that fussed by the time it happened and was kinda glad I could go to bed.

It's a whole lot of wank and I feel sorry for anyone who supports it. I'm really disappointed in myself for doing it as I did.

We walked from Tresor as the night was slowly turning to morning, and as we approached the line it didn't seem that long so figured we'd give it a go. Turns out I was wrong / didn't look carefully enough and the line was fucking huge and we stood there for close to 90mins. I didn't realise just how long until we were 20-30mins in, by which point I didn't want to bail and have wasted time for nothing. I still had no idea it would take quite that long, the entire process where you stand in front of the bouncers while they size you up takes ages when you add everyone up.

I couldn't figure out any continuous reason as to why some got in and others didn't. Large groups of dudes seemed to get nowhere, as did quite visibly trashed people but that was it, everyone else just seemed at absolute random. Despite having been to Tresor in the hours beforehand I was in pretty good shape; my girlfriend and I were both well slept, not on any substances and don't drink alcohol so we certainly looked quite straight.

But the whole thing is wank. By the time I was 45mins in I was over it and not wishing to partake. I was done. Only my own stubbornness stopped me walking away. It was a bit silly as I'd have lasted <2hrs had I got in as I had no wish for any gear on the night.
The line of people all half-tense from the fear of not getting in creates a really sour atmosphere. Often talking about the door policy, each subtly watching those turned away walk back past and around the fence on the way out. No doubt the relief once you get in probably creates an awesome vibe but the whole thing just felt wrong to me. It's not how partying should be.

The closer I got the more I realised it's something I want no part of. The lack of inclusiveness is the antithesis of the parties I frequent and dare I say of the original dance music movement. I'm all for security keeping drunk fuckwits and groups of rowdy lads out of venues but the door at Berghain is something entirely else and I can't imagine why people want to support it. Watching people get to the front and present themselves to the door staff almost like school children walking in to the headmaster's office is depressing. Whether they got in or not it all felt judgmental and fucked.
I'll forever be a bit curious as to just how good a big morning is in that dungeon with my preferred kind of pounding techno, but there are SO MANY other amazing parties out there in so many varied places that I would never again want to support the cunts that run that place with my presence

The fact there's a guy who stands there selling beers to people in line and to those who get rejected and seemed to do quite well out of it tells you all you need to know about the place. An entire small industry built on turning people away for very little good reason.

All I know is I'm less disappointed at being turned away and more disappointed I tainted an awesome night watching Dave Clarke tear up at Tresor with a few hrs wasted in that whole experience which is really sad and depressing before you even get near the door. Hearing people around me who'd been turned away earlier but had gone home to change and try again was pretty sad.

Berlin is fucking awesome - and I say that as someone who likes heaps of other types of dance music more than techno - but fuck supporting Berghain, that's for sure.

No, the reason you got turned away is because you looked like a "victim" who'd go and post negatively about it to a forum of internet nerds because you didn't get in. They have a sense for this...
--do not click this link here--
Xelpmok +

Unregistered

Times thanked
<
On a more serious note, I think its a well set up club with good sound, space and music selection but there's a very commercial, touristy undertone. I think maybe the Berghain hey days have passed...
--do not click this link here--
primalstatik +

Just call me p-statz.

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Come on man, it's not some conspiracy theory. Pretty common across Europe to find these dudes at clubs/festivals with big lines selling beers, it's an awesome little convenience.

This post just reeks to me a little bit of sour puss. You never would have posted this rant had you got in and experienced it. Surely you knew Berghain was exactly like this before attempting to get in? There is no doubt, it is a fucking long wait, with little to no pattern on who gets in but I tell you what, it works. Once inside the number of people in the rooms is always the right amount, good balance of people inside and no dramas at all. Just people lapping up incredible music and vibes. I lined up twice and got in twice, once solo, another time with a female friend. Plain dressed and pretty much sober. Even if I was rejected both times I would not have cared that much at all, there are so many other awesome clubbing options that you can move onto in Berlin that it really doesn't matter.

Pretty handy tip I heard about for getting in/not wasting your time. Rock up as soon as they first open, the line is generally shorter at this time. Once you get in and you get the stamp you can leave and come back whenever you want. If you don't get in, you still have the whole night remaining to find an alternative.
jdoodle +

in on the killtaker

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,490 Times in 1,490 Posts
i agree with claude, that is what berlin is turning into, it never used to be like that, if not the opposite
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative." John Stuart Mill

« Previous Thread Next Thread »