Melbourne

Stereosonic 2013

Tools
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
^ without on site camping, though? I know Flemington isnt' far, geographically, but I've had times leaving there at 10pm and not getting back to Brunswick until after midnight coz the trains are so shit...could have up and walked it in half the time.

Long say in the sun drinking partying, ass of a mission to get home (possibly spangled), force yourself to bed in order to get up and do it all over again? Ticket price aside, it's fucking expensive and physically draining...would have to pull out some amazing names to make me come to the party
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi View Post

^ without on site camping, though? I know Flemington isnt' far, geographically, but I've had times leaving there at 10pm and not getting back to Brunswick until after midnight coz the trains are so shit...could have up and walked it in half the time.

Long say in the sun drinking partying, ass of a mission to get home (possibly spangled), force yourself to bed in order to get up and do it all over again? Ticket price aside, it's fucking expensive and physically draining...would have to pull out some amazing names to make me come to the party

yeah man, it's the futureeee.
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<
Alternatively you could just kick on at the after parties and wait for the second day to start.
Who's up for the quadruple, Stereo, stereo after party, stereo again, after party again?
ladyinred +

See you Space Samurai...

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,169 Times in 1,449 Posts

Quote:

So essentially their operating costs won't change much, right, if say you're still bringing in the same number of acts but giving them all a bit longer sets...flights/accom for your acts isn't going to change much really in the grand scheme of things, having the PA/lights etc stay for 2 nights instead of 1 isn't a huge increase, your production/setup/rigging/staging costs won't change at all as it's still just one setup and one pack down...but you get to charge everyone $200+ instead of $110+...all the while most of your punters don't want to do 2 seperate days of munting out at Flemington, and someone people will only end up doing one.

What a fucking scam

I'm surprised how much you care about a scam RK.

btw. I'm thinking their operating costs would increase somewhat because with two sites running concurrently over two days means they would need double the rigs and potentially more hands on deck for the install/take down.

Quote:

Originally Posted by hbomb203 View Post

Sausages make everything better astro. FACT.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jameszabiela

I have to disagree with regards to the sausages...

shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Get Loaded in the Park, Lovebox and a few others I'm forgetting all ain't camping and are multi-day in London.

But they all sell single day tickets .. That and I swear it's quicker getting around London then Melbourne..

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladyinred View Post

I'm surprised how much you care about a scam RK.

btw. I'm thinking their operating costs would increase somewhat because with two sites running concurrently over two days means they would need double the rigs and potentially more hands on deck for the install/take down.

You mean the different cities? They'd be locally owned rigs in each city so the setup is the same as usual, it's not like they fly the PA and lights around with them...so the Melb setup is the same, just used for 2 days, and the Adelaide one is ther same, just used for two days...still comes down to the same setup and pack down costs...costs would increase a bit, sure, staffing etc, but not a huge amount for how much extra they'd stand to make should it sell out, the biggest cost would be the artists appearance fees, and they're all still appearing the same amount of times, once in each city, so no change there while your ticket prices rocketed...

They need single day ticket options imo...but that means knowing exactly who is playing which day a long way in advance

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

Last edited by Random_Kiwi: 21-May-13 at 10:40am

mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<
my money is on them opening up single day tickets once they realise they wont sell enough two day tickets
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts
bet they sell fucking heaps
crackers4 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

You mean the different cities? They'd be locally owned rigs in each city so the setup is the same as usual, it's not like they fly the PA and lights around with them...so the Melb setup is the same, just used for 2 days, and the Adelaide one is ther same, just used for two days...still comes down to the same setup and pack down costs...costs would increase a bit, sure, staffing etc, but not a huge amount for how much extra they'd stand to make should it sell out, the biggest cost would be the artists appearance fees, and they're all still appearing the same amount of times, once in each city, so no change there while your ticket prices rocketed...

They need single day ticket options imo...but that means knowing exactly who is playing which day a long way in advance

I think this is a pretty weak argument. You've named numerous cost increases that would mount up very quickly but then say it's only a small increase in costs at the end of the day?? Also the ticket prices haven't 'rocketed,' they've gone from $150 to $200 and considering each year it normally goes up by about $10 or so with inflation, tickets are only an extra $40 odd for a whole extra day. Despite this I totally agree that there should be single day passes, only problem is people would hold off until they see who's playing on which day before buying..considering lineups can be as late as the week before to be announced this is quite risky.

It's pretty obvious they're selling them as 2-day passes so if there's an artist you really want to see you're just going to have to buy the ticket and then decide what day you'll go to when lineups are announced...it seems greedy but if you want a festival to build and succeed at the end of the day it needs to make money...lets just hope for sideshows aplenty
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackers4 View Post

lets just hope for sideshows aplenty

I really hope they're not dicks and actually have sideshows. I could see little to no sideshows this year so that if you want to see your favourite acts, you gotta go to stereo. It would make sense I guess, I ended up not going to Future last year when the Aphex sideshow was announced.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by crackers4 View Post

I think this is a pretty weak argument. You've named numerous cost increases that would mount up very quickly but then say it's only a small increase in costs at the end of the day?? Also the ticket prices haven't 'rocketed,' they've gone from $150 to $200 and considering each year it normally goes up by about $10 or so with inflation, tickets are only an extra $40 odd for a whole extra day. Despite this I totally agree that there should be single day passes, only problem is people would hold off until they see who's playing on which day before buying..considering lineups can be as late as the week before to be announced this is quite risky.

It's pretty obvious they're selling them as 2-day passes so if there's an artist you really want to see you're just going to have to buy the ticket and then decide what day you'll go to when lineups are announced...it seems greedy but if you want a festival to build and succeed at the end of the day it needs to make money...lets just hope for sideshows aplenty

$150 was final release full price tickets, this is gone up to $200 as first release early bird tickets, which will naturally go up to about $250 by final release...last years early birds were $110 I think, so an increase to $200 is nearly double, so yeah, ticket prices have rocketed imo.

Yes, some of their costs increase, but not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, especially since the artist appearance fees won't change a dime.

Just plucking random numbers from the air, lets say it costs you $500,000 to run a one day festival...your artist appearance fees don't change, your expenses of flying and accommodating them doesn’t change, your advertising and promotion costs don’t change, the cost of setting up and packing down the lighting, staging, sound etc doesn’t change…you possibly get charged a little more for using it for 2 days rather than one, but also possibly not, don’t really know how that works, some things hire for set price for whole weekends, something’s might be per day…anyway, lets say it does incur some extra charges…then what else have you got? Security for 2 days rather than one? Staffing a bar for two days rather than one (which lets face it, just EARNS you extra money, not costs you)

Minimal in the scheme of things, no? Lets say it increases your costs to $600,000 maybe…like a 20% increase when your ticket prices have gone up close to 100%...

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

$150 was final release full price tickets, this is gone up to $200 as first release early bird tickets, which will naturally go up to about $250 by final release...last years early birds were $110 I think, so an increase to $200 is nearly double, so yeah, ticket prices have rocketed imo.

Yes, some of their costs increase, but not a huge amount in the grand scheme of things, especially since the artist appearance fees won't change a dime.

Just plucking random numbers from the air, lets say it costs you $500,000 to run a one day festival...your artist appearance fees don't change, your expenses of flying and accommodating them doesn’t change, your advertising and promotion costs don’t change, the cost of setting up and packing down the lighting, staging, sound etc doesn’t change…you possibly get charged a little more for using it for 2 days rather than one, but also possibly not, don’t really know how that works, some things hire for set price for whole weekends, something’s might be per day…anyway, lets say it does incur some extra charges…then what else have you got? Security for 2 days rather than one? Staffing a bar for two days rather than one (which lets face it, just EARNS you extra money, not costs you)

Minimal in the scheme of things, no? Lets say it increases your costs to $600,000 maybe…like a 20% increase when your ticket prices have gone up close to 100%...

I doubt they will go as high as $250. Early Bird Tickets last year were actually $130... so you would think if it starts at $200 this year then it wouldn't go much higher than $220 or $230. So ticket prices have gone up about 60% for an extra day, not 100% (if it was 100% they would be starting at $260). If you factor in as well that they will probably sell less this year, I wonder how better off they really are?

Also wouldn't be expecting too much in regards to afterpartys. You never know, but with artists needing to be in Adelaide, Melbourne and Brisbane over Friday, Saturday and Sunday... you wouldn't expect much. Plus I doubt that Stereo would really want a lot of afterparties on the Saturday night which would encourage less people to attend on the Sunday.

Thinking about it the second day could actually be super awesome. You would definitely expect less crowds. So my plan of attack would probably be to just see who I really want too on day 1 and make it a bigger day 2. Of course that will be dependant on the lineup.
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<
my thinking is your thinking may be the same as everyone else. anyone with a brain will go the second day as they think it will be less crowded.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
All in all though, if you're only option is a 2 day pass and you only attend one day, you're being gipped of half the artists on the lineup...yeah, it's your choice to do that, but still, just doesn't add up to being a good idea at all to me.

The only artist I can think of which would get me going is Danny Tenaglia, and they'd have to give him his own stage to play all fucking day!

BumblingBee +

is a dick

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,224 Times in 2,030 Posts
really hoping for half hour sets and no sideshows
Plife_23 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mattpolo8 View Post

my thinking is your thinking may be the same as everyone else. anyone with a brain will go the second day as they think it will be less crowded.

people with a brain are the people you want to be with, not the roiding munching dicks strutting around with their phanny packs. Second day will be wicked, almost hoping they never release single day tickets just so as the 2nd day can be epic
Plife_23 +

Times thanked
<
even if u get home at 12 though, that gives you 10 hours to sleep, 2 hours to get ready/drink and then jump on a train and get there about 1ish and only miss the stafford brothers
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plife_23 View Post

even if u get home at 12 though, that gives you 10 hours to sleep, 2 hours to get ready/drink and then jump on a train and get there about 1ish and only miss the stafford brothers

Because everyone goes straight to sleep after festivals....

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Exactly...not tanked, not tanked at all

bulldozer +

OH YES OH YES MELBOURNE!!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Plife_23 View Post

More like 10 hours to spend some quality time with this guy:

TrantZ +

\S/

Times thanked
<
lol sleep
dan_essential77 +

rockers delight!!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by BumblingBee View Post

really hoping for half hour sets and no sideshows

on the $ + electronic lawn mower trance
MJay1993 +

Times thanked
<
Looking at the newest ITM article, this stood out to me:

"There will almost be double [the amount of artists performing compared to last year]"

So the promise of longer sets is looking good right now, right? Right?
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by MJay1993 View Post

So the promise of longer sets is looking good right now, right? Right?

If you think the move to a 2-day format is for any reason other than to increase profits I think you're going to be sorely disappointed. It's a business, plain and simple. Businesses make money. That is their purpose.

mixes and remixes @ soundcloud.com/benroyal
dazza_b +

Suburb scum

Times thanked
<
But...but...PLUR!!?? Who needs money when you have PLUR?!
Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
Doesn't having double the artists but tickets starting at less than double the price (and probably not sell as many as next year) mean that it would be more expensive to put Stereo together this year? Ok I guess that a lot of the acts will be filler and we may get bunched up with a lot more locals... but I thought Stereo would get more out of their buck by having a similar sized international line up to previous years and have lot of artists do 2-3 hour sets.
Ben Royal +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisdude View Post

Doesn't having double the artists but tickets starting at less than double the price (and probably not sell as many as next year) mean that it would be more expensive to put Stereo together this year? Ok I guess that a lot of the acts will be filler and we may get bunched up with a lot more locals... but I thought Stereo would get more out of their buck by having a similar sized international line up to previous years and have lot of artists do 2-3 hour sets.

A lot of the costs of putting on a festival are the staging, infrastructure, set-up, promotion, PI insurance etc. Once you have your event ready to go, it doesn't cost that much more to do a second day of it. Hence why FMF run their Good Life underage festival the day before FMF - everythings there and ready to go for a second day.

The problem with having the same size lineup over two days (with longer sets) is that they're then asking people to pay a lot more money for the same sized lineup as last year. Yes, serious music lovers may be willing to pay more for longer sets or smaller crowds but the vast majority of punters (who are the people that pay for most of the lineup) wouldn't be so keen to fork out more money to see the same amount of acts, just spread out over two days. They only need one day to take selfies, complain about the weather, take weak overpriced drugs and sing along to 'Don't You Worry Child' - they don't need to do it two days in a row.

I actually think Day 2 will be a much better atmosphere. All the people that went too hard the first day and either blew out, vommed, got punched in the face or lost their phone/wallet/wristband won't attend the second day leaving it far less crowded and more purists there. Im guessing at least a quarter of the people who attend Saturday won't make it to Sunday.

mixes and remixes @ soundcloud.com/benroyal
mliro +

Charlie sheen...

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,517 Times in 1,294 Posts
You raise a good point with the running costs of a festival.

I do however disagree with the attendance numbers being considerably lower on day two, the only multi day festival I have been to that didn’t require camping out (because if you have to camp out doesn’t matter how bad day 1 is you still have to front up for day two and three) was Ultra Music Festival. I did notice that people got there a little later on day two and three, but the numbers did not decrease, I find punters go into survivor mode and do anything to make it all three days, I did notice that people by day three were a little less patient and friendly,

Quote:

Originally Posted by i am an alias View Post

mlirosi brought forth mugs.

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
It's different here though. There will definitely be a lower attendance on day 2.
mattpolo8 +

on a good day...

Times thanked
<
agree. there will be a bunch of after parties on saturday night and the kiddies will go hard. go to them, back to hotels or mates places and won't rise till 2pm+ the next day. at that point they will just say fuck it and not go.
darkthumpers +

Times thanked
<
Not sure if it has been mentioned, but this 2 day concept has been tried before in Melbourne, early 2000s for gatecrasher at Melbourne park I believe? Went to one of the days but cant remember which one, was one price for the 2 days. Think the stronger line up was on the sunday...
mliro +

Charlie sheen...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chrisdude View Post

It's different here though. There will definitely be a lower attendance on day 2.

how is it different?

Quote:

Chrisdude +

Times thanked
<
People here are used to 1 day festivals. It's not like one off big festivals overseas where people travel to go there, book accomodation and are moreso there for the music. You know how it works here... a large number of people go to Stereo for the sake of going to a festival. They will go too hard on day 1 so when day 2 rolls around will be stoo stuffed to care about going again.
mojo-jojo +

Times thanked
<
Some people here are used to 4 day non stop music in the dust or the mud. It will be a bit different without being hours out of the city, dealing with taxis and normals. But on the plus side you can have the option of a sneaky nap in something other than a tent or a ditch, and even possibly having a half decent shower at the half way mark.

http://www.inthemix.com.au/news/5562...re_Stereosonic
...it will be interesting if the change in owners means a change in how they run it, or if its more one of those things where a company gets bought and asked to just keep on doing things how they are.
MattyL +

Times thanked
<
This is going to end up being a very wise move.

As others have mentioned, the costs of setting up the festival are huge, but they pretty much stay the same whether you have one or two days, so really having the extra day makes absolute sense. Huge amount of extra drink sales, plus the ticket increase, plus food etc. Plenty of money to be made.

It's become a big standard overseas to have multiple day festivals, so it wasn't long before a mainstream, inner city festival did it here. They needed to be first cab off the rank here, and have immediately differentiated their festival.

On top of that tickets going from $150 for 1 day to $200 for 2 days is absolutely nothing. Surprised at how cheap it is if anything. Increases your chances of having at least one day of good weather too (touch wood!).

I'm confident the idea will work, provided they actually deliver a decent line up, but I'm getting the feeling it will be pretty huge.

Excited.
mliro +

Charlie sheen...

Times thanked
<
2014 predictions....already?

http://stoneyroads.com/gesaffelstein...reosonic-2014/

edit: mattyL clearly has invested interest in the success of stereo

Quote:

mojo-jojo +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

2014 predictions....already?

http://stoneyroads.com/gesaffelstein...reosonic-2014/

edit: mattyL clearly has invested interest in the success of stereo

I'm so confused, early 2014, this thing. But, reporters check facts and google stuff all day.

Zedds announced that he is in, which is neat. Gareth Emery too apparently. Even with the 2 day setup I'll probably avoid the main stage again like last year (i walked past it once and that was terrifying).
MattyL +

Times thanked
<
Don't care how commercial that line up is, it's fucking deeeeeep
Bumpy +

My dick is shrivelled

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,528 Times in 1,493 Posts
Solarstone.

That is all.
daftly05 +

Times thanked
<
had me at solomun, his sideshow will be better tho!
Clump +

Times thanked
<
Wow... That line up is amazeballs! Mat Zo, Tritonal, Solarstone, A&B, Armin, Gareth... I don't think I can miss this.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Meh...not even half way close enough to get me there...Cajmere, Solomun, Noisia and Andy C just doesn't cut it...have fun trancers!

rzile +

http://www.soundcloud.com/robzile

Times thanked
<
not enough techno!
https://soundcloud.com/robzile
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by rzile View Post

not enough techno!

No where near enough techno. It seems like the one genre they've completely forgot about.

That said Justin Martin, Claude Von Stroke, Maceo Plex and Cajmere might be enough to get me there.

puretrance89 +

Times thanked
<
I think this will work for stereo - I don't know why people here are saying Australians aren't used to multi day festivals. I saw 10,000 in the middle of nowhere at eclipse enjoying themselves, for 7 days!! then again the atmosphere and music was in another universe to stereo imo
mliro +

Charlie sheen...

Times thanked
<
^^ the people you saw at those festivals arnt the people you will see at stereo

Quote:

Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
^ and that!

And you could stay the night, it's totally different to 2 days in the city with no camping. You spend 3 hours travelling there and back each day

hurley18 +

Ticket Inspector

Times thanked
<
fuk this being a 2 day festival, hard enough getting googs for 1 day.
casquillacciotti +

Times thanked
<
^^^ pissa
deeptrance +

Times thanked
<

« Previous Thread Next Thread »