The DJ Booth

Positioning monitors

Tools
Afro thunder +

NOT AfroLeft

Times thanked
<
Positioning monitors
I guess traditionally monitors are on the outside of your setup, and face in. ie. the right monitor is somewhere behind the right turntable/cdj, and the left the same but on the other side....

Due to my space (and money for monitor stands) limitations, i can't safely position my new monitors in this way... Currently i have them in the middle (just behind mixer), facing outwardwish, so that when im leaning over my turntable, as u do, my ear is basically still in direct line with where the monitor points..

acceptable/unacceptable/who cares/doesn't even make a difference????

I can post pics tomorrow if my explanation is too vague which i suspect is the case
BTM'S
Random Crew!!

Tyx - ValenTunes Day
Marc Us +

House & Funk DJ

Times thanked
<
if its at home it wont matter.

practice so u can play with the booth anywhere (i know some guys who can only mix if booth is on a certain side). learn to mix in your headphones only even, some places will have extremely poor booth position or worse, no booth at all.
Tikki Tembo
www.tikkitembomusic.com
social media: #tikkitembomusic
gamblore +

Deleted User Account

Times thanked
<
Dude, my monitor is a portable speaker system that people would use at the beach or some shit. Your lucky enough to have some decent speakers I thinks...
I'll be back...
kasper_flip +

;_;

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,497 Times in 705 Posts
i mix purely in my headphones, i find it easier
however if i were to use my monitors they are to the right of my setup, angled towards me
Afro thunder +

NOT AfroLeft

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the input all,

Gamblore, im lucky enough to be able to spend as much money as i want on myself whenever i want... beats buying stuff for a girl i reckon

Maybe i'm just a noob and am looking for excuses, but it seemed alot better beat matching with headphones on only one ear than it did when using the previous speakers i had.

Was under the impression that most joints u'd play at would have the monitors on either side and facing in, but then, being not very well traveled, i can see why i'd make that mistake

flip, i most often will have a listen to the mix in headphones as well just to make sure, tho i think that's part of my learning phase, as i can't yet trust myself to have it matched when i think i do
BTM'S
Random Crew!!

Tyx - ValenTunes Day
Neo_ +

Monkey

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Us

if its at home it wont matter.

That is so wrong its not even funny.

If anything speaker positioning is even more important in a smaller space, like a bedroom/ home studio.
The placement of the speakers will affect the sound greatly for the listener in any space.

Afro, go check in the producers forum and search for a thread on monitor positioning or something there abouts. there was a thread on this very recently, even though its based on people that are producing i am sure that you will get a lot out of it.
If not check out http://tinyurl.com/2ggeol and there are a few good threads on this subject and a massive knowledge base that can help you out.
Jay Parker.

Quote:

Originally Posted by risk

jesus christ, when was the last time any of you came to newcastle?

it's not fucking deliverance

NEONSPACE
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,577 Posts
i have mine on their side 45degrees off center at ear height.

i lubs my monitors
step on my cubes.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neo_

That is so wrong its not even funny.

If anything speaker positioning is even more important in a smaller space, like a bedroom/ home studio.
The placement of the speakers will affect the sound greatly for the listener in any space.

Agreed.

Too often I see DJs choose sub par sound quality for their set-ups. Sure, it's only at home on your own rather than before a crowd.

But surely DJs relish in the sound that comes from the speakers as much as they relish the idea of being worshipped by a room full of people who often don't know any better.

So in the meantime, we see countless bedroom banger rigs with their speakers:
- sitting on the floor firing into the DJs shins.
- on the same table firing straight into the turntable arm (and you seriously think vinyl still sounds better being pounded by a 8" driver just a couple of inches from the stylus?)
- Facing totally in the opposite direction, away from the DJ.

I'm for refining ones skills though a less-than-ideal monitoring environment, but is there any taste for what good sound sounds like in the first place?

Or is it all about the worshipers?

Get some stands or some shelves, and enjoy your music while your ears are still good. Trying to replicate a realistic club situation in a bedroom environment is never going to pay off, because simply, a club PA doesn't sound like a bedroom boom box.
Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bracko

i have mine on their side 45degrees off center at ear height.

i lubs my monitors

I lubs your rig.
Bracko +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spectrum

Agreed.

Too often I see DJs choose sub par sound quality for their set-ups. Sure, it's only at home on your own rather than before a crowd.

But surely DJs relish in the sound that comes from the speakers as much as they relish the idea of being worshipped by a room full of people who often don't know any better.

So in the meantime, we see countless bedroom banger rigs with their speakers:
- sitting on the floor firing into the DJs shins.
- on the same table firing straight into the turntable arm (and you seriously think vinyl still sounds better being pounded by a 8" driver just a couple of inches from the stylus?)
- Facing totally in the opposite direction, away from the DJ.

I'm for refining ones skills though a less-than-ideal monitoring environment, but is there any taste for what good sound sounds like in the first place?

Or is it all about the worshipers?

Get some stands or some shelves, and enjoy your music while your ears are still good. Trying to replicate a realistic club situation in a bedroom environment is never going to pay off, because simply, a club PA doesn't sound like a bedroom boom box.

indeed. if any bedroombanger thinks they're going to put out listenable demos with ass sound they're kidding themselves.
step on my cubes.
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<
I run through an surround sound system that I inherited a couple of years ago. Infinity speakers+sub with a Sony amp. Its a surround sound unit so I have 5 speakers and a sub, and I have set it up like you would for a TV surround sound set up. i.e Centre speaker straight infront of me, left front to the left of the table at the front, etc etc...then I have the rear speakers running behind me, took ages to get the cables under the carpet to get them round there, but was worth it in the end.

It took me some time to get the settings on the amp to make it really pump, but I think I have reached a happy medium now, sure its not the perfect situation but when I crank it up its like the music is coming from all directions which I really like.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

Spectrum +

What?! No Crossfader!

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by trenthalliday

I run through an surround sound system that I inherited a couple of years ago. Infinity speakers+sub with a Sony amp. Its a surround sound unit so I have 5 speakers and a sub, and I have set it up like you would for a TV surround sound set up. i.e Centre speaker straight infront of me, left front to the left of the table at the front, etc etc...then I have the rear speakers running behind me, took ages to get the cables under the carpet to get them round there, but was worth it in the end.

It took me some time to get the settings on the amp to make it really pump, but I think I have reached a happy medium now, sure its not the perfect situation but when I crank it up its like the music is coming from all directions which I really like.

Nice one. Dolby Pro Logic can do wonders with dance music, particularly if the atmospheric and special effects are produced wide, with neat pan tricks. The central, leading percussion and bass then tends to stick up front while the rest engulfs the room. Can be quite a trip sans comedown.
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
To hijack this thread,
how far apart is too far apart for your monitors? And how near is near-feild???
MM?
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
Speaker Placement

Nearfield speakers, as the name implies, are meant to be listened to from a closer range than common speakers. Typically nearfields are within 6 feet (a couple meters for you European folks) of the listeners ears. The speakers, in an optimal situation, will form a perfect triangle with the two speakers and the listeners head. If the right speaker is 6 feet from your right ear, the left should be 6 feet from your left ear and the two speakers should be six feet apart. Once you have that situated properly, it's time to deal with height. I am unsure if this is a rule or just my experience and habit, but I personally place the speaker upright tweeter over woofer and have the tweeter as close to level with my ear as possible since the tweeter is the high frequencies, as they disperse less and die quicker than the low frequencies.

Now there is the small matter of what to set them on. I will get in to the details of what works best after I say this: Whatever you set them on, make sure it's the same for both of them. As we all know, different substances have different properties for absorbing vibrations and sound. Therefore, you want them both on the same surface. Setting them directly on your desk or any furniture like that is usually what happens, and it does work, but it's not the best answer. This is problematic because if the full bottom surface of the speaker is resting on the desk a lot of vibration is then transmitted through the speaker and into the desk and then throws off your monitoring.

A while ago I used and reviewed a set of speaker stands from Stereocilia. These types of stands are perfect for monitor placement because they isolate the monitor from the rest of the room by absorbing vibration before it makes trouble. They do this by making minimal contact between the speaker and the stand and then between and stand and the floor. Often times they are also filled with sand to help the absorbing of the vibration. I still use those stands today, they are one of the best things I did for my monitoring and my studio's sound.

All that said, there are things you can do much quicker, and cheaper. Putting any sort of small "feet" on your speakers, rubber pads or the little felt sticky things people put on chair and table legs that sit on wood floors can help minimize contact between the speaker and the surface it's resting on, as well as absorbing vibration.

http://www.homerecordingconnection.c...w_story&id=431
step on my cubes.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Us

(i know some guys who can only mix if booth is on a certain side).

I cover my left ear, but if the monitor is on the left hand side, I can still mix fine...just drop your headphone volume a little/turn monitor up a fraction more...and having the cup partially off your ear can help too.
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
Bracko +

Times thanked
<
i was like that for a long time as my setup was lop sided.

it wasn't until i forced myself to turn the RHS speaker off for a few months that i learnt.
step on my cubes.
jarrardscott +

I start arguments then blame everyone else, and now I have this shitty My Little Pony icon

Times thanked
<
Thanked 5,000 Times in 2,101 Posts
would it be a bad idea to have my monitors on my table but facing upwards towards my ears?
they arent angled either.
but there is a gap between about the width of my djm800.
attached image of shitty paint layout
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
I bought some SAMSON MS200's, they're cheap only around 140 bucks for a pair. My advice is if you have 8" speakers then steer clear of these.. They're flimsy. The top plate doesnt not sit completely flat and has a bit of leeway for movement and to get the speakers up to have the tweeters at ear level you're pushing the limits of the stand, it becomes very wobbly. I reckon you're better off buying a small bookshelf/bookcase and taking a trip to a foam store, wacking a peice of hard foam on the top and the speakers on that. I sent my MS200's back to store dj who happily gave me a store credit, minimal questions asked.

Your options are:
Decent stands, you're looking at around 300 bucks and these still will only be around 1 meter tall. you want about 130cms id say (unless you're a midget or a giant).

shitty stands, these will be flimsy and you're risking your monitors safety and your gear thats underneith it. cost around 150.

bookcases, ive looked around for the right size/shape ones and the best I found was ikea's billy serious of shelves. these are only 106cms but you can get a height adjustment of 30cm for an extra 20 bucks each.
you're looking at about $120 for two shelves...

« Previous Thread Next Thread »