GenErik +

the Viking

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by atrev2much

*waits for apple to start making pretty cameras that don't work*

They already did

GenErik - Music & Mashups - Soundcloud / GenErik <- NEW 30 min Scandinavian set of AWESOME - Erik's Photography - Twitter
spinal_faun +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 2

Quote:

Originally Posted by horst

finally!
any news on pricing?

found it
US$750

is that RRP or street price ... i may go the power of grey imports
Just Squeeze Me

Now with the added goodness of Myspace

http://www.myspace.com/spinal_faun
Bwen +

bwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwen

Times thanked
< 348
That's ridiculously expensive, if they could possibly make it cheaper it would appeal so much more to the average enthusiest (eg. me )

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mickstah

Bwen spammed this thread good.

rileybriggs +

Times thanked
< 10
^ Definately agree there, have to replace my point and shoot that got broken, and this would be perfect, if not for the price. Might wait for second gen models
Stop reading this
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0

Nothin' but broken windows here
nettsu +

http://about.me/nettsu

Times thanked
< 4
that should be a tweetshirt!
i take photos
Darko_ +

here to be scene

Times thanked
< 0
I'd choose this one

Nothin' but broken windows here
horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinal_faun

is that RRP or street price ... i may go the power of grey imports

it is rrp but that's body only, it's US$800 with the 14-42mm which actually sounds really useful
still, by the time it arrives here it will be $A1200
x2

I still want one, I really want a DSLR style sensor but just not interested in a standard behemoth
spinal_faun +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 2
Update

I went to PMA yesterday and i got a chance to have hands on play around with it. Its a bit bigger than the Lumix LX3. It felt great in the hands and easy to control.

cons
made in china, i thought it would be made in japan at least
price tag. $1700 for the twin lens kit.

i dont think the other big camera companies will worry too much about the ep1 given its price tag.
Just Squeeze Me

horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by spinal_faun

Update

I went to PMA yesterday

what is a PMA?

Quote:

and i got a chance to have hands on play around with it. Its a bit bigger than the Lumix LX3. It felt great in the hands and easy to control.

the lumix sensor is 40% bigger then a bog standard compact camera, the sensor in the EP1 however is 500% bigger than the LX3, chalk and cheese IMO

Quote:

cons
made in china, i thought it would be made in japan at least

I think the time has passed about worrying about chinese origin products, the new manufacturing plants especially if they are by foreign companies produce as good if not better quality, mainly because they are newer machinery

Quote:

price tag. $1700 for the twin lens kit.

oh man
which lenses?

Quote:

i dont think the other big camera companies will worry too much about the ep1 given its price tag.

I wish they would worry and make cameras like this
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,987
Silly rabbit, they aren't for taking photos with.

You buy the micro four thirds camera and *then* take photos of the camera with your holga or other totes vintage film camera and put them on flickr or your blog.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

bussyboy +

Sounds fair

Times thanked
< 31
^
rancho +

Oooooooh such a good time

Times thanked
< 7,063

Quote:

I think the time has passed about worrying about chinese origin products, the new manufacturing plants especially if they are by foreign companies produce as good if not better quality, mainly because they are newer machinery

hahaha you cant be serious. ever heard of japanese capacitors?

newer machinery wtf? you cant polish a turd, if you use cheap chinese electronics, you use cheap chinese electronics which are inferior to jap made parts.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott View Post

well, according to dictionary.com
chilli is hot pepper food etc.
chilly is cold temperature.

Bwen +

bwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwenbwen

Times thanked
< 348

Quote:

the lumix sensor is 40% bigger then a bog standard compact camera, the sensor in the EP1 however is 500% bigger than the LX3, chalk and cheese IMO

I think it's just using that example to compare the actual physical camera size

Quote:

Bwen spammed this thread good.

DJ Cue +

Times thanked
< 0
So anyhow, got myself one of these new Pens and I must admit, I'm absolutely loving it It's great for me as I used to do a lot of street shooting back in the day and I found that if you wanted to get a natural reaction from surrounding people, the worse thing you could do was pick up an SLR as the 'normality' of the shot would die as soon as you looked through the viewfinder, people change the way and direction of how they walk, they give you death stares etc...the great thing with the E-P1 is that you can hold the camera up and everyone just thinks you're a tourist or something so you can still capture that natural timbres of the people in the photograph.

So personally I'm loving it! Having a whole heap of fun shooting with it! These are a couple of pics that I've done so far with it, and in the past, a lot of people said that Oly weren't all that good because they didn't perform at higher sensitivities, but this new unit by far is the best sensor/processor combination they have ever produced.

ISO200, f/5, 1/200, Pop Art

ISO100, f/22, 30"

ISO800, f2.8, 1/8

ISO400, f2.8, 1/6, Pop Art

ISO400, f16, 5"
horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by rancho

hahaha you cant be serious. ever heard of japanese capacitors?

have you heard of greek capacitors?

Quote:

newer machinery wtf? you cant polish a turd, if you use cheap chinese electronics, you use cheap chinese electronics which are inferior to jap made parts.

You may not be aware that all new manufacturing plants are pretty much fully robotized, the cnc machines and extrusion machines are going to have the same accuracy no matter in which country you place them.
You probably aren't aware either of the woeful quality of Japanese products 50 years ago
things change
Why are you trying to argue?
horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bwen

I think it's just using that example to compare the actual physical camera size

should have compared to a hamster then
horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Cue

So anyhow, got myself one of these new Pens and I must admit, I'm absolutely loving it It's great for me as I used to do a lot of street shooting back in the day and I found that if you wanted to get a natural reaction from surrounding people, the worse thing you could do was pick up an SLR as the 'normality' of the shot would die as soon as you looked through the viewfinder, people change the way and direction of how they walk, they give you death stares etc...the great thing with the E-P1 is that you can hold the camera up and everyone just thinks you're a tourist or something so you can still capture that natural timbres of the people in the photograph.

So personally I'm loving it! Having a whole heap of fun shooting with it! These are a couple of pics that I've done so far with it, and in the past, a lot of people said that Oly weren't all that good because they didn't perform at higher sensitivities, but this new unit by far is the best sensor/processor combination they have ever produced.

those are pretty sensational, and confirming what I suspect is the difference between a DSLR and the micro four thirds format - nothing... that you could pick from respective prints
big eddie +

Got soju?

Times thanked
< 14,987

Quote:

The issue of chinese (and taiwanese) capacitors is more related to industrial espionage and usage of dud chemical formulas. It's not as much of an issue now as it was 5 years ago, but it was a very real concern and is still causing headaches for OEMs today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotamangina View Post

I hate it when you're right and I'm not.

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,063

Quote:

those are pretty sensational, and confirming what I suspect is the difference between a DSLR and the micro four thirds format - nothing... that you could pick from respective prints

i wish i was so gifted that i could conclude my hypothesis based on a few low resolution samples from an internet forum.

Quote:

rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,063

Quote:

You may not be aware that all new manufacturing plants are pretty much fully robotized, the cnc machines and extrusion machines are going to have the same accuracy no matter in which country you place them.
You probably aren't aware either of the woeful quality of Japanese products 50 years ago
things change
Why are you trying to argue?

im trying to argue that shit materials, practices etc make shit products. i work in the photo industry and deal with product failures. i can tell you that jap photo products simply do not fail as often as chinese, taiwanese, vietnamese, indonesian... whatever country, because they cut corners there to lower costs.

i totally accept that eventually these countries will make much better products, but theyre still developing nations and havent been doing it long enough.

Quote:

NismoR31 +

Times thanked
< 8,655

Quote:

they're usually in the rear of a device
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,063

Quote:

Originally Posted by NismoR31

they're usually in the rear of a device

they usually power fully sick subwoofers.

Quote:

horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by big eddie

The issue of chinese (and taiwanese) capacitors is more related to industrial espionage and usage of dud chemical formulas. It's not as much of an issue now as it was 5 years ago, but it was a very real concern and is still causing headaches for OEMs today.

yeah I was thinking about answering all geeky but decided to go non-sequitor instead, in hindsight I think I would do it again.

Last edited by horst: 10-Jul-09 at 06:20pm

horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

i wish i was so gifted that i could conclude my hypothesis based on a few low resolution samples from an internet forum.

you really can't tell? I really don't think it's that hard, the sharpness at that lightlevel are a dead giveaway that this is not even a good compact, that it's much closer to a DSLR.
horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

im trying to argue that shit materials, practices etc make shit products. i work in the photo industry and deal with product failures. i can tell you that jap photo products simply do not fail as often as chinese, taiwanese, vietnamese, indonesian... whatever country, because they cut corners there to lower costs.

i totally accept that eventually these countries will make much better products, but theyre still developing nations and havent been doing it long enough.

see we're not really in disagreement at all

I actually wouldn't be surprised if the manufacturing methods used for this camera would
be so advanced that they don't have the plant to do it in Japan.
It's happening to all countries in the world, manufacturing in China is much cheaper, if you're in a competitive industry then you can not afford not to produce in China.
And no I don't think concentrating manufacturing capability in one country is a positive development.
DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,729
DJ Cue: shutter lag?
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
< 0
Shutter lag is really minimal hey...I think the official figure is something like 72ms...Prolly the thing that I notice most, which is great for low light shooting is that you don't get the mirror slap when you press the release...I find it great especially because I'm frequently shooting around 1/3 to 1/2 of a second handheld hey...
horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ Cue

Shutter lag is really minimal hey...I think the official figure is something like 72ms...Prolly the thing that I notice most, which is great for low light shooting is that you don't get the mirror slap when you press the release...I find it great especially because I'm frequently shooting around 1/3 to 1/2 of a second handheld hey...

wow that's amazing, and you are getting reasonably sharp results? can you post examples?
rancho +

Times thanked
< 7,063

Quote:

you really can't tell? I really don't think it's that hard, the sharpness at that lightlevel are a dead giveaway that this is not even a good compact, that it's much closer to a DSLR.

perhaps you should re-read your original post, seeing as you've totally misinterpreted my thoughts.

Quote:

important bits in bold so even a simpleton can understand it.

Quote:

horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

perhaps you should re-read your original post, seeing as you've totally misinterpreted my thoughts.

important bits in bold so even a simpleton can understand it.

yeah sorry dude I'm sure that you know what you are trying to say, but it eludes me,
maybe if you were to rephrase it so you make a statement or form a question, don't be afraid to show your steps of logic, for us simpeltons.
Mickstah +

"Science needs to be applied to beds"

Times thanked
< 3,329
More micro four thirds impressions and less QQ plz.
ಥ_ಥ - - - - - - - - - - - -ಠ_

"She was like a candle in the wind... unreliable."
Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
More cooler than a dolphin
Let's hug me

DJ Cue +

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

wow that's amazing, and you are getting reasonably sharp results? can you post examples?

Here's some of the pics out and about Brisbane city that I took purposely at slowish shutters hand held. Generally really dark so I did have to push the sensitivity up a bit. I'd prolly say I was at a stage where I was pushing the limits of the camera (in terms of the stabiliser, most of these shots I had to take about 2-3 of each to get one which wasn't blurred from hand shake). All shots taken with the 17mm f/2.8. They were all taken anywhere between 1/15th to 1/2 of a second. Answering your question, I feel I'm getting reasonably sharp results considering the shooting conditions. It would be great to have a tripod, but it takes the fun out of street shooting

ISO 1600, f/8, 1/4

ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/2

ISO 1600, f/8, 1/3

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/15, PIN HOLE FILTER APPLIED

ISO 800, f/2.8, 1/4

ISO 400, f/4, 1/2

ISO 400, f/2.8, 1/8, POP ART FILTER APPLIED
GenErik +

the Viking

Times thanked
< 0
Fucking sweet. I'm getting one.

Already have an Olympus E-300, which has served me well and then some.
GenErik - Music & Mashups - Soundcloud / GenErik <- NEW 30 min Scandinavian set of AWESOME - Erik's Photography - Twitter
GenErik +

the Viking

Times thanked
< 0
…and in-camera filters that don't produce cheesy effects. What?
DJ Cue +

Times thanked
< 0
Yeah, it's a sweet camera But keep in mind GenErik, it doesn't have a flash...people are being put off by that....Doesn't bother me personally, try to do everything in natural night these days, but I know it does for others....
horst +

Times thanked
< 408
wow that's really really stunning DJ Cue, I would never have believed you can get a non blurry picture with half a second exposure, did you use the 2 second auto timer ?
legal-affairs +

Moderator says 2.0

Times thanked
< 512

Quote:

wow that's really really stunning DJ Cue, I would never have believed you can get a non blurry picture with half a second exposure, did you use the 2 second auto timer ?

Neck a handful of beta-blockers and you are set.
But we're fools if we sit back and stare at the ground
While the weasels and analysts sing
If we want our place in history, we can't let the frustration
Drive us to fashionable drinking again
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
Hmmm tempted to see if I can nab one for cheap in KL.

Those pics are sweet - I'm fine with no flash, I tend to avoid using flash most of the time anyway.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

DuncanM +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 1,729

Quote:

Those pics are sweet - I'm fine with no flash, I tend to avoid using flash most of the time anyway.

It's got a hotshoe anyway.
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
I figured it would

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
Went and checked these badboys out - found them for $1054 AUD with the 14-42mm lens.
Worth it, or tell 'em they're dreaming? Didn't ask any of the shops what extras they would throw in tho.

Also lens adapter is $218 AUD.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

horst +

Times thanked
< 408

Quote:

Went and checked these badboys out - found them for $1054 AUD with the 14-42mm lens.
Worth it, or tell 'em they're dreaming? Didn't ask any of the shops what extras they would throw in tho.

buy!
maybe not the lens adapter that's really rude
spinal_faun +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 2

Quote:

wait to panasonic release its version out then you can compare
Just Squeeze Me

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
Yeah but when will that be?

I'd prefer a new camera sooner than later, and no websites seem to make mention of a release date. There isn't even any news out on if it will have a flash or viewfinder right? As it is I had a bit of trouble tracking down the Pen, and it has been out for a while. So what is the wait for Panasonic's offering going to be like?

Also, I figured I could forget about the lens adapter (mainly because I don't have any lenses to adapt! ) until 3rd parties come up with a cheaper solution.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

Last edited by Mickstah: 25-Aug-09 at 12:58am

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
So I've been thinking about it and reading reviews. Maybe I'll just buy some cheap P&S and give it some time?

I dunno, I'd just love to have a compact DSLR whilst overseas, it seems perfect!

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

spinal_faun +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
< 2
Its here its here its soooo good

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0909/09...gf1preview.asp
Just Squeeze Me

Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
Really?

From that preview it seems the two are fairly evenly matched with both having advantages/disadvantages.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

horst +

Times thanked
< 408
did you buy the EP1 Mick?

because the panasonic really looks like a cracker, never seen the zoom in, to help manual focus thing before, I think I'm sold on this one

the one on one comparison will be very interesting
Mickstah +

Times thanked
< 3,329
Not yet.

Thinking I might this weekend or next. Play around with it until the Panasonic comes out. If I hate it and decide the Panasonic is a better buy I'll just sell the EP1. If I buy the EP1 I'll get it in white so it should sell for more on the Aussie market

Edit: Just browsing eBay, locally it's selling for around $1200 with the 14-42mm, and they're all in silver. Internationally there are a few whites and they are selling for slightly more.

Dean Learner
Trase Love:
O Mick you are so cool
Let's hug me

« Previous Thread Next Thread »