The DJ Booth

Vinyl Practice Methods

Tools
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
Vinyl Practice Methods
So I just picked up my first ''wheels of steel'' and I am pretty pumped to head home after work and set them up. I managed to get 2 Stanton t.60's a stanton 2 channel mixer and 40 records for 300 bucks so I was pretty happy with that.

Anyway to the point. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips to build up my vinyl skills. I already have the basic's covered via my piece of shit JB HIFI console that I sold but I want to start to improve now. How hard am I going to find it going to vinyl from only ever using CD/USB? Any help would be appreciated!
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<
get off the fkn internet and practice...
Tech-One
brendanClay +

"Bruno"

Times thanked
<
Watch a few YouTube videos.

That will do you far better than anyone here will be able to explain in a thread, I think.
BrendanClay.com | AtticSydney.com | SoundOfSPOiLT.com

> Soundcloud

Upcoming:

2017 | Attic

> Gigatools
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

I am on the internet bludging at work, no internet at home so I will be practicing until my ears hurt haha
slackas +

Music on my mind...

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Whip26

I am on the internet bludging at work, no internet at home so I will be practicing until my ears hurt haha

ha ha win, try ellaskins on youtube...

or goto dancetrippin.tv (best vids out there)

also try djtechtools.com

But as for the actual skill practice...
Tech-One
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
some tips:

* make sure the holes for each vinyl aren't to big. they should fit on the spindle snuggly with no play - use stickers to make big holes smaller.

* warped records are always going to skip like a bitch

* learn to calibrate your needles!
dj deza +

i have no freinds

Times thanked
<
just practice and enjoy !!
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by slackas

No shit, I got so pumped seeing someone make the move to vynil! Props man!
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Thanked 4,661 Times in 2,288 Posts
Since u only got t60's try not to touch the platter too much , if u need to speed it up or slow it down i'd recommend just using the pitch adjuster,

You will probably upgrade turnies soon enuf tho heheh !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Originally Posted by borrisGLOWSTICK View Post

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mliro View Post

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

ferretrock +

speaker whore

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

* learn to calibrate your needles!

This one, and just have a play.
And learn to ride the pitch.
Radic +

Times thanked
<
may i be the first to say sell the stantons and get yourself some 1200's cuz they're heaps more fun to mix on.......just kiddin bud. yes the 1200's are a lot easier/ better to mix on but it sounds like you got a great bargain Make sure you post a mix for us to have a listen.
Soundcloud
spice_of_life +

what the fuck is this shit?

Times thanked
<
^^ werd. i don't mean to be a downer, but stanton turntables are not "wheels of steel". i believe that name is reserved for actual 1s and 2s, but congrats on getting decks man. playing vinyl is awesome fun! if you already know the basics of beatmatching, it's piss easy to move to TTs. do weeet! ride that pitch mofo!
NE1 GOT NE P1LL5!
jabbajaws +

Registerd Midget Abuser

Times thanked
<
yes, young padwai learns the vinyl he must! strong is his heart, but another there is.
Have you checked out Marsh Media recently?

UPCOMING GIGS

Quote:

Originally Posted by OllieBrooke

when cueing up "Wake Me Up (Before You Go Go) by Wham I knew it was gonna go off!!!

louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
wheels of steel is any turntable..

more, I do believe the expression '1s and 2s' refers to channel one and channel two, not the model number of the sl1200
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Welcome to a world of being poor but the moral position to look down at everyone else for their pitiful mp3 collections.

P.s ride the pitch.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
when the needle skips, your beat matching is out or what ever happens,
just remember to play with f**k ups and have a laugh
its what its all about
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by louislogic

wheels of steel is any turntable..

more, I do believe the expression '1s and 2s' refers to channel one and channel two, not the model number of the sl1200

haha! they's muthafuckin tee 12's dawg! anyway t.60's - we can call them 'sixes and zeros' or something. they have an aluminium platter btw

e; woops wrong username.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
louislogic +

why are fish so slim?

Times thanked
<
in conclusion, i am pro vagina
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
aye!
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
Edstacee +

Jackanackanory.

Times thanked
<
Just practice practice practice dude. It's about what YOU do with mixing vinyl, so it will sound shit at first, and you'll learn how to cue better and mix better over time.

Moving BACK to vinyl.. what a trip. well done. SlicyD says it all

Quote:

Originally Posted by mireyleese

Drink lots and you will have heaps of fun. He puts on quite the show, definatly not a dj to watch for song selection and technical skills, but great music to just go crazy and jump around to :]

(on Steve Aoki)

Check out DJ mixes here
Check out my own shit here
trenthalliday +

s'up?

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edstacee

Moving BACK to vinyl.. what a trip. well done. SlicyD says it all

This is what I have just done...have only touched one set of TT's for the last few years, and was absolutely terrible...it was not like riding a bike......so I tho9ught fuck it, grab some 1200's and gat back to basics...I reckon its probably about 3289 times more fun than CD's

Quote:

Originally Posted by jarrardscott

i love people who call themself persian.
its like theyre ashamed to say theyre from iraq

TheReturn +

Times thanked
<
2 things:

1. learn to read the grooves.
2. every record will react differently to your touch. Remember the subtle differences and act respondingly
http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/
Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
Ok so I know that there not the best turntables, but hey i didn't get an expensive car first time round either!!

So i had a quick go last night, limited to the records that i picked up with the purchase and i feel like a beginner all over again!! firstly i balanced the tone arm but then found that it kept skipping grooves. so moved the weight so that the arm was putting more pressure on the stylus. Next mistake was trying to be a superstar DJ and touching the platter to much (wish I read pEAkeR_hAT's post before i went home). Common problem I noticed people saying online was the stanton slip mats, and yes they are horrid.

Once my ego had recovered i started to get some good tunes sounding but couldn't lock in a long mix. like you guys said Practice Practice Practice! I think i was even practicing in my sleep, woke up with one hand on my ear and the other one out-streched to the side kind of pointing!
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,497 Times in 917 Posts
As has been mentioned, ride the pitch, don't touch the record/platter to speed it up/slow it down...it's hard, but as you already have some basics, learning this will make you a far far better DJ.

Since you're not DJing to a groud and trying to impress, mix looooooooooong and as fast as you can...like end of first breakdown, drop next track, wiggle the pitch till you get it approximate, and bring it in...use the pitch going back and forth and just hold it as long as you can...it doesn't matter that it's slipping in and out all the time and sounding like crap, no one is listening, but it's great training for picking up on when the beats are slipping faster...and the longer you can hold the mix, the better.

BTW, how do you cue your tracks? Both tracks playing in headphones/both ears covered or one ear covered istening to the track you're cueing up, other ear listening to nearby speaker?
Pete Gordon - Deep and Low

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

https://soundcloud.com/random_kiwi/deep-and-low
divid3d +

-_-

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by spice_of_life

^^ werd. i don't mean to be a downer, but stanton turntables are not "wheels of steel". i believe that name is reserved for actual 1s and 2s, but congrats on getting decks man. playing vinyl is awesome fun! if you already know the basics of beatmatching, it's piss easy to move to TTs. do weeet! ride that pitch mofo!

don't diss stantons, kent

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer View Post

Don't get hooked though, drugs are evil and will make you rob grannies for that next hit of space dust.

Sideshow Rod +

Times thanked
<
Stick with your stantons... if you can learn how to use them perfectly then you will never have trouble on other turnies... I learnt on some old belt driven TT's and now most things I use are very easy

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheReturn

1. learn to read the grooves.

How the fuck do I do that, i can see that the darker area's (when spinning) are where the body of music is and the light parts are breakdowns/buildups is there anymore to it??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Random_Kiwi

BTW, how do you cue your tracks? Both tracks playing in headphones/both ears covered or one ear covered istening to the track you're cueing up, other ear listening to nearby speaker?

Umm I did it with my headphones on with both channels playing first, then I tried it with one headphone and listening to the speaker. To cue it up, i found the first beat of the phrase held it there whilst the platter was spinning and let it go in time with the other track
TheReturn +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

How the fuck do I do that, i can see that the darker area's (when spinning) are where the body of music is and the light parts are breakdowns/buildups is there anymore to it??

Thats the basic thrust of it.

I'm basically just saying that you don't need to do all in your ears, there are plenty of visual cues on the record that you can remember to help you.
http://soundcloud.com/thereturn
http://woo-ha.com/
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Umm I did it with my headphones on with both channels playing first, then I tried it with one headphone and listening to the speaker. To cue it up, i found the first beat of the phrase held it there whilst the platter was spinning and let it go in time with the other track

Cool...there is no right and wrong, but imo, one ear covered and cueing only the new track is the right way to mix

Keep your headphone volume low, the speaker playing the current track should be the dominating sound
Keep that ear covered the whole mix, you'll pick up slipping way faster listening like that than taking them off, hoping it holds and listening only to the speaker playing both tracks.
Record your mixing sessions to listen back to them and pick up where it's getting messy, you'll find sometimes you think a mix was fucking awful, but listen back objectively, it's not half as bad as you thought...also, when you're mixing, you might not notice how well the tracks do/don't work together as you're foscusing too much on the timing compared to actually listening.
Practice, practice and more practice
Oh, and never, ever crosss the streams!!!

Slower tempo but still with balls, deephouse, slow-mo, futurehouse, nudeep, indie, nudisco, hints of progressive, whatever the fuck you want to call it, just good shit! Get on it

hall_G +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Cool...there is no right and wrong, but imo, one ear covered and cueing only the new track is the right way to mix

Unless you have to keep the volume down...then the cueing is in the cans.
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by hall_G

Unless you have to keep the volume down...then the cueing is in the cans.

Would still rather just reduce the volume and listen to the speakers

Just a personal preference thing, hate mixing in cans...means you're missing how things are actually sounding through the speakers

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
I live by myself so i will crank it, fuck the neighbors! Any cueing tips?
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
I cue on the first beat (usually kick drum or a cymbol or something) heaps of people cue on the snare, but whateva suits you.

Also this will help you out heaps when trying to sort out why your needle is skipping,

Media Player

Media Player

Pretty sure the guy has too much time on his hands and is presenting from his mum's house, but he shows you in baby steps how to set up your turntable , especially helpfull in stopping it skipping !

ps. i recommend making a strong coffee then mixing, it is awesome
Spoiler:

Quote:

Life trainwreck stories, bewbs, mod angering drug implicated posts and 2fast2furious only.

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic
also I would imagine a little disheartening that he has never attempted to drug rape you?

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<
Thanks for the vid's, I know i don't have anti skating on my turntables, and i don't think i can adjust the height but i may be wrong on that!!! Should I cue my record by stopping the platter or should i leave it running and hold it still and let it go at the start of a phrase, i know there is no wrong or right just which is better.
Papanikolas +

In the beginning there was Jack.....Daniels

Times thanked
<
hold the record lightly so that the platter still spins underneath. then when you release it on beat, give it a little push forward too, and it should be in sync straight away.
deejaydee +

Times thanked
<
I prefer to leave the platter running, and just release the record on-beat... Even more so in vynil mixing, I find that cueing on the 5th is a fantastic thing to do
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<

Quote:

As has been mentioned, ride the pitch, don't touch the record/platter to speed it up/slow it down...it's hard, but as you already have some basics, learning this will make you a far far better DJ.

Since you're not DJing to a groud and trying to impress, mix looooooooooong and as fast as you can...like end of first breakdown, drop next track, wiggle the pitch till you get it approximate, and bring it in...use the pitch going back and forth and just hold it as long as you can...it doesn't matter that it's slipping in and out all the time and sounding like crap, no one is listening, but it's great training for picking up on when the beats are slipping faster...and the longer you can hold the mix, the better.

do lots of this an you'll be good
"I see myself as having an .aiff format shlong; its there, just nobody wants it"
Catdog69Kool +

Registered Awesome

Times thanked
<
just an idea here, split the 40 records into groups of 10 or so, and just start of with one group and get really familiar with those toons as you start out, then as you get more accustomed to it like a week or so later then start using the other toons as well

just that way you can feel more at home just getting used to the vinyl and not get overly stressed about trying to make a proper set
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Thanks for the vid's, I know i don't have anti skating on my turntables, and i don't think i can adjust the height but i may be wrong on that!!! Should I cue my record by stopping the platter or should i leave it running and hold it still and let it go at the start of a phrase, i know there is no wrong or right just which is better.

If you have cued it up already then you can stop the platter and do other things. Otherwise, if you are about to drop it, keep the platter running and try to release the record at approximately 45 rpm !
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

Whip26 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by deejaydee

I prefer to leave the platter running, and just release the record on-beat... Even more so in vynil mixing, I find that cueing on the 5th is a fantastic thing to do

How does cueing on the fifth help? does it just give you a little extra time to get the timing right?
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by pEAkeR_hAT

Also this will help you out heaps when trying to sort out why your needle is skipping,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fdxAn...layer_embedded

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIBtZ...eature=related

Those vids are quite good, it's hard trying to explain that stuff to people...

Media Player

...that's his one for weighting your tone arms properly, too...which is possibly even more important that the height and antiskating

Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by divid3d

don't diss stantons, kent

nawww ok i wont and didn't mean to. but rest assured dear lady you will one day be converted by playing on a set of 12's like i was and just about everyone else hehe. it just the way it is i reckon.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
sd88me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

How does cueing on the fifth help? does it just give you a little extra time to get the timing right?

it gives you a bit of buffer to cue in a track on a hard to hear drop.
Say if u miss the drop, u can still bring it on the fifth, and have it matched up the way u wanted in terms of phrases, not timing..
neat trick
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
Random_Kiwi +

So far out it's in

Times thanked
<
Means you can hold you Jesus Pose right until the breakdown ends...1 2 3 4 drop track

sd88me +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Means you can hold you Jesus Pose right until the breakdown ends...1 2 3 4 drop track

haha exactly
AKA - http://soundcloud.com/samakasam
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlicyDicer

Welcome to a world of being poor but the moral position to look down at everyone else for their pitiful mp3 collections.

P.s ride the pitch.

i have a healthy collection and i'm not poor ... in fact, i built most of my collection when i was poor. Although i probably don't have as many cool shoes/clothes as digital DJs, and i wouldn't have it any other way

PS: yes, learn to ride the pitch
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
Spicy +

Spergbot 3000

Times thanked
<
in soviet russia, pitch rides you.
┌П┐(►_◄)┌П┐
seth111 +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Radic

may i be the first to say sell the stantons and get yourself some 1200's cuz they're heaps more fun to mix on.......just kiddin bud. yes the 1200's are a lot easier/ better to mix on but it sounds like you got a great bargain Make sure you post a mix for us to have a listen.

Have you ever tried the ST150's, way easier to mix on than 1200's.
SlicyDicer +

white people are the worst

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,179 Times in 1,770 Posts
Having watched those videos my 1200's finally make 100 % sense.
http://soundcloud.com/kultrun
Beatport
pEAkeR_hAT +

"The Peoples' Champion"

Times thanked
<
Yeah, I never bothered setting mine up correctly either, i just used to pile on the weight if they skipped lol,

poor poor records
Spoiler:

Quote:

Quote:

that’s terrible spastic

« Previous Thread Next Thread »