House, Techno and Progressive

Garage/Soulful House

Tools
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 305
Garage/Soulful House
I think I've been under a misapprehension about what this type of 'house' this music is.

I initially thought of it as classic/Chicago house but as a sound it is more closely aligned with the garage/house that initially came out of NYC (and, a few years later, Baltimore). Rather than 303 driven acid and synthetic, electronic sounds (wicked as they are) it's about organic sounds; pianos, organs, violins, groovy bass lines and...big black vocals!

In discussing this genre I don't think there is any value in trying to limit it to a geographical area, it's really more about the sounds.

From a more historical perspective, the sorts of artists I've have in mind include (in no particular order) Kerri Chandler, Dennis Ferrer, MAW, Karizma, DJ Spen, Blaze (though I prefer their Klubheads guise), Kings of Tomorrow, Mood II Swing and Todd Terry.

Defected certainly flies the flag today as far as labels are concerned though you'd have previously looked to labels like Strictly Rhythm, Shelter Records, King Street Sounds and even Nervous.

Today, Bicep and Motor City Drum Ensemble are examples of artists that I think do the sound particularly well along with Move D who is probably the don as far as DJ are concerned. Andres has released some serious bombs. Prosumer, Murat Tepeli, Damiano von Erckert and the ava. crew are all quality. We Play House is another seriously good label.

One of my favourite releases from last year is Downtown Romeo - Confessions.

It's an area I don't really know that much about so I'm sure there are artists and labels I've missed which expose my ignorance.

Going to get started with some tracks that I really like.
My mixes:

Bruno Orso’s Sunrise Over Tocumwal, 28 January 2012
Track list

Orso's Sounds of the Tunnel Vol 1, December 2013
Bruno from Burwood +

Times thanked
< 305
Some old(er) stuff:

Media Player

Media Player

Media Player
My mixes: