Times thanked
< 42
Greg Wilson: Reflections on touring Australia
good read
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
quite the deep thinker, but I think it's odd he labels so casually a lack of "black culture" as a reason he couldn't have lived here. England is a lot whiter than it is black, and arguably 'whiter' than here, and niches can thrive anywhere despite the dominant culture. And what does he even mean by "black culture"? To me that seems to be something which has distinctly eminated from the USA and not England.
sd88me +

Times thanked
< 72
i thought he meant black culture as in counter-culture. ie. underground music, art etc... the same way black is referred to in black market?
taylor williams +

Times thanked
< 20
walkdogz - If you've ever been to any of England's major cities they all have large black communities which are rich with culture and history and music. Granted the media image of England may not reflect this as much as they do American black culture but If you look up dub, reggae, ska music you will see that they are deeply aligned with the UK's musical history and have been for generations. The Notting Hill Carnival being one of the main outlets for black culture in London.

As sd88me said though, he may mean black as in counter-culture.
walkdogz +

Times thanked
< 510
That could be it sd88me which would make sense given what he writes about last - summer of love. Thanks for the response, Taylor Williams.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
< 1,489
Not sure what Wilson is on but maybe he should stick to DJing as he does not seem to be a good anthropologist/sociologist.
DANCINGDI +

Times thanked
< 452
^^^ Djs are allowed to think, and even be wrong in their thinking , just like everyone else :lol: Although I did find his opinions really interesting and quite informative. I didn't think he was trying to be an anthropologist/sociologist :)

« Previous Thread Next Thread »