The DJ Booth

For the Digital dj's out there that use s2,s4, xone or whatever..

Tools
the avatar +

of the Kingfisher

Times thanked
<
For the Digital dj's out there that use s2,s4, xone or whatever..
So after a number of years I have decided to get back into dj'ing and as no clubs seem to have TT's anymore I am going all digital.

My question is this, do any of you guys use one of the number of controllers out there at a club and if so, how do you find the setup and management of the gear?

Do you use any special cases that make the management of the gear easier, or is it that most clubs now just understand the need for extra booth space?
Phorte +

Times thanked
<
my only input is to just rock up 15mins earlier to setup and scope out the setup. even better if you can do a soundcheck (but you learn to know how much gain you're lacking after a few rounds - eg. CDJ's generally run a hotter gain so i judge what the existing channels are set to and adjust my channel gains appropriately).

i used to own both the S4 then S2 (to downsize) but found that overall, it was too limiting in 50% of the booths i played at... so i've reverted back to traktor and using the club CDJ's. my laptop sits on top of a Crane Stand Pro which is pretty much accepted as the best stand out there (arguably). somethign to consider for your laptop. i then have a X1 too which i either sit on top of two spare mixer channels (eg. if CDJ's are in channel 1 & 2, i find the X1 fits nicely on top of channels 3 & 4). if i have room to spare, i also have the X1 case that i can then sit between the mixer and CDJ and it raises the X1 to the same level.

for S2/S4, i'd probably just have it sitting on top of the mixer but then you have to think about the next dj that comes on and being in their way when you're taking up the whole mixer... more food for thought.
travellingpom +

Times thanked
<
Total agree. the S2,s4,vestax vci's are too limiting in dj booth. if you are going to use a laptop then an X1 is the way to go. either use traktor with advanced HID on cdj900/2000's and x1 or just X1 and sound card. otherwise usb sticks with pre-prepared rekordbox for the cdjs.
the avatar +

of the Kingfisher

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by travellingpom View Post

otherwise usb sticks with pre-prepared rekordbox for the cdjs.

Now there is an idea.... Is it safe to assume that most reputable.....(I use that word lightly) are going to be sporting cdj's with usb inputs? Anyone tell me what model was the first to sport them? Or I could just Google that.

Might give the X!'s a look see too.
shr3dder +

ITM Contributor

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by the avatar View Post

Now there is an idea.... Is it safe to assume that most reputable.....(I use that word lightly) are going to be sporting cdj's with usb inputs? Anyone tell me what model was the first to sport them? Or I could just Google that.

Might give the X!'s a look see too.

It depends... if they're still running 1000's then no.. But even the lower end CDJs from the 350 up these days support USB...

http://soundcloud.com/mmmbutch/
charlieyo +

Times thanked
<
it would be safe to assume, most clubs armed with cdj's would be cdj 2000's which are fully usb compatable. the cdj 2000's are also HID compayable which means you can hook up the cdj's to traktor/serato via midi cord to usb.
m_xt +

3.14159265358979323846264338327950288419716939937510582097494459230781640628620899862803

Times thanked
<
Thanked 1,490 Times in 784 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by the avatar View Post

Anyone tell me what model was the first to sport them?

In terms of pioneer CDj 400's had them 5 years ago.
Check it ****s.
Soundcloud

LAZE
AllintheMind +

Times thanked
<
I use Xone 2D and it has been awesome. Its not that big and usually fits quite well. You have to do your own mapping for the xone but it is not so hard. I set mine up in a fairly straightforward way with deck A on the left and B on the right, more or less like a standard set up with cdjs and mixer. I miss upfaders but cross fader is smooth as silk (its a continuous controller). There are a range of fx but I use mainly filter (these are first rate) half and full delay, reverb and filter kill. I can create my own breakdowns if I want using these fx.
After using Allen & Heath fx I could never go back now, fx on mixers now sound clumsy to me.
The 2D comes with soundcard so you don't have to add that.
There are less soft keys on the Xone. I am not fond of a lot of soft keys, I think they break more easily.
Like my avatar? Make your own here: http://apophysis.xyrus-worx.org/#grab
stubs +

0.o

Times thanked
<
Hey guys, I'm finding myself in a similar boat at the moment. With a shrinking room I'm trying to condense everything and have both decks in their flight cases at the moment

When I was living overseas a while back I was using the Torq Xponent which was perfect for my needs but when I dusted it off the other day found out my computer doesn't support the software due to the company not offering the product anymore.

I have a DJM 900 Nexus which as far as I can gather is Traktor compatible and so this seems the most logical next step. I don't really need much more than to be able to control 2 decks, loop and hot cue. Based on this, can someone suggest if the Kontrol X1 is the most suitable controller for me? I can't map MIDI to save my life and so if I can just 'plug and play' than this is a huge bonus. I don't mind having to use the computer every now and then but ideally I will be able to just do everything on the controller for what its worth.

Also, Torq had a pretty nifty feature where you could change the tempo of slower beats to fall inline with faster beats (e.g. - a 90 bpm track to sync with a 120 bpm track). This was a really handy feature that I liked about Torq - does Traktor offer this too?

Obrigado.
SoulWhiteMan +

is on the national broadband network

Times thanked
<
Hi stubs. Traktor does have sync. It is also mapped to a lot of third party controllers (you dont need a NI product to use it) so you can still use the xponent if you want...
Funkedub +

"You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don't help."

Times thanked
<
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,141 Posts

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phorte View Post

my only input is to just rock up 15mins earlier to setup and scope out the setup. even better if you can do a soundcheck (but you learn to know how much gain you're lacking after a few rounds - eg. CDJ's generally run a hotter gain so i judge what the existing channels are set to and adjust my channel gains appropriately).

i used to own both the S4 then S2 (to downsize) but found that overall, it was too limiting in 50% of the booths i played at... so i've reverted back to traktor and using the club CDJ's. my laptop sits on top of a Crane Stand Pro which is pretty much accepted as the best stand out there (arguably). somethign to consider for your laptop. i then have a X1 too which i either sit on top of two spare mixer channels (eg. if CDJ's are in channel 1 & 2, i find the X1 fits nicely on top of channels 3 & 4). if i have room to spare, i also have the X1 case that i can then sit between the mixer and CDJ and it raises the X1 to the same level.

for S2/S4, i'd probably just have it sitting on top of the mixer but then you have to think about the next dj that comes on and being in their way when you're taking up the whole mixer... more food for thought.

You know i always wondered WTF i would do with the Traktor CDs as i only went DVS (and have recently considered an S2 for portability reasons.

I guess if i ever both to try and land a gig at a venue anytime soon i'll just go with the Traktor CDs in the CDJs ... i have no idea why i never thought of this before
For all of your musical needs*

funkedub dot com

*musical needs most likely not met
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanked 6,062 Times in 3,521 Posts
I am currently using an S4 at home (after many years of using records only) and want to be able to have a more club friendly set up for traktor as I am starting to get gigs again. With the X1’s do I need to get a sound card for those to use with the mixer only, I don’t want to use time coded cd’s or vinyl and with two of them does that allow me to use 4 channels on the mixer in a club – so controlling levels etc from the mixer but using loops and the like from the x1’s?
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<
^Yes, you will need a soundcard in conjunction with an X1 or two. I use an Audio 2 DJ soundcard when I use my X1 out and about. Haven't tried 4 channels myself, but could set one output as the monitor (which I believe is the default setting with the newest Audio 2 DJ soundcards) and the other as the master output going straight into the mixer. That said, an Audio 6 DJ soundcard might be more up your alley for 4 channel mixing, especially if you end up with two X1s, but probably best to wait and see what someone else has to say about that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chimby View Post

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<
Thanks mate ive settled on two Allen & Heath K2's
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onijin View Post

^Yes, you will need a soundcard in conjunction with an X1 or two. I use an Audio 2 DJ soundcard when I use my X1 out and about. Haven't tried 4 channels myself, but could set one output as the monitor (which I believe is the default setting with the newest Audio 2 DJ soundcards) and the other as the master output going straight into the mixer. That said, an Audio 6 DJ soundcard might be more up your alley for 4 channel mixing, especially if you end up with two X1s, but probably best to wait and see what someone else has to say about that.

Can you run three channels on a Audio 6? I asked someone at store dj and he reckons I can't, can you use the main as the 3rd channel out?

I only need 3 channels and I don't want to spend $700 on the scratch A10
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by IHAVENEWLEGS View Post

Thanks mate ive settled on two Allen & Heath K2's

How many decks do you run? What soundcard?
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
baax +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onijin View Post

^ I use an Audio 2 DJ soundcard when I use my X1 out and about.

Maybe I should just get an Audio 2 and beat mix in the third from a cdj
SOUNDCLOUD

MIXCLOUD
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

Can you run three channels on a Audio 6? I asked someone at store dj and he reckons I can't, can you use the main as the 3rd channel out?

I only need 3 channels and I don't want to spend $700 on the scratch A10

Not really sure, hence why I thought I would let someone else chime in who knows better. Might be other options out there, but haven't really investigated them.

Quote:

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
Dave Scully +

represent

Times thanked
<
a vinyl fairy just died...
http://soundcloud.com/crooked-sound-system

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Crooke ... 749308255
Onijin +

Pastor of Muppets

Times thanked
<
^Bit like a beer fairy?

Quote:

Needs more Prog imo.

My SoundCloud
IHAVENEWLEGS +

Times thanked
<

Quote:

Originally Posted by baax View Post

How many decks do you run? What soundcard?

4 decks, thats the beauty with the K2's. Soundcard is built in.

« Previous Thread Next Thread »