inthemix awards reveals Australia’s new #1 DJs

Image for inthemix awards reveals Australia’s new #1 DJs

THE FULL RESULTS ARE HERE!

It seems as though this year really is the year for new blood in Australian dance music. Not only was ITM’s annual DJ poll, the inthemix50, given a larger-scale overhaul into the inthemix awards with new categories to boot, but the top 50 DJ poll still at the heart of the inthemix awards has experienced a radicial shake up in 2011, all starting with the #1 spot.

It was in 2010 that the inthemix50 #1 DJ crown went to a duo for the first time in the poll’s history with Canberra’s favourite sons The Aston Shuffle taking the honours. This year another duo reigns supreme in the top spot and that is Queensland double act The Stafford Brothers.

The ascension to the #1 spot marks another big win for The Stafford Brothers who have clearly mobilised their booming profile and fanbase on the back of their eponymous reality TV show to storm up the ranks as Australia’s most popular DJs. Congrats to the Bros.

The change at the top of the inthemix awards DJ poll is just the start of a whole slew of wider shifts throughout the top 50 DJs list with a whole crop of fresh faces altering the look of the countdown. As well as big leaps forwards for the likes of Matt Nukewood, Toneshifterz and Hook N Sling there’s a feast of acts breaching the list for the first time like Minx, Bombs Away, Mind Electric and Smokin Joe Mekhael.

Speaking of new this year’s awards also brings with it the debut of the ‘Live Act’ category which was scooped comprehensively by Pendulum, a testament to their summer festival headline status, no doubt!

There’s plenty more stats and results to dig into including changing of the guards in the International DJ category, the country’s favourite festivals and also track of the year and this year’s Lifetime Achievement award which was taken out by Stereosonic big boss and veteran of the local scene Richie McNeil. Suss out all those results along with the gongs for best clubs in each state and the state top five DJ honours at our 2011 inthemix awards results page.

Comments

special ed

special ed said on the 24th Aug, 2011

im not gonna get into the usual debate thats bound to happen, its a popularity contest, end of story....but who the hell are these dj's???? i seriously have never heard of 50% of them, from my own state!. but big props to SJM!

m_xt

m_xt said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Agree ed, not gonna complain about Staffs, or timmy as the punters clearly like them, but who the fuck are most of these people?
SJM should have been way higher!

rowley

rowley said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Light Year not even in the top 50? Easily the best Australian dj/ Producers right now.

nightwriter

nightwriter said on the 24th Aug, 2011

"Popularity is the hallmark of mediocrity" - Niles Crane.

lawlietskyy said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Stafford Bros. LOL what a bunch of wankers

funlife

funlife said on the 24th Aug, 2011

@rowley
totally agree about light year - as special ed said this poll will always be about what appeals to the masses. stafford bros at no. 1 is testament to that

saji

saji said on the 24th Aug, 2011

I suppose having your own TV show on Fox 8 helps get the teeny-bopper vote

Mickstah

Mickstah said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Now that we've got the joke list outt of the way, where's the real top 50?

addz

addz said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Stafford bros are junk

SlicyDicer

SlicyDicer said on the 24th Aug, 2011

How come I didn't win I fucking rigged the voting and everything fuck this award are bunch of faggot shit fuck you fug

JulesPLees

JulesPLees said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Am I that old now that I haven't heard of 90% of these peoPLe? Even the ones from my own state?

SparklingSam

SparklingSam said on the 24th Aug, 2011

yeah what Jules said.

Look I'd like to see the state by state results expanded maybe to a top 10.

WA is a small place, I'm guessing not too many people here voted anyway. Most of the names are meaningless to me and I think an expanded state results list would perhaps have more relevance.

mentalyst

mentalyst said on the 24th Aug, 2011

What a complete joke! I feel insulted somehow.

cizza

cizza said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Their fat f*ck manager needs a punch in the throat.

Suspekt

Suspekt said on the 24th Aug, 2011

Well... I think the new awards format has proved to be an epic fail in the first year... Stafford Brothers? Seriously? Really sad to see such a joke of a act like The Stafford Brothers named as No.1. You guys should pick it yourself if this kind of thing happens...

special ed

special ed said on the 24th Aug, 2011

the DJ awards in particular really need to be industry voted to truely reflect the 'best djs', sure have a public voted 'category' on the side, but industry voting is far more realistic

Funkedub

Funkedub said on the 25th Aug, 2011

oh tits!! I forgot to enter this year ... damn .. maybe next year the crown will be mine!!

System_J

System_J said on the 25th Aug, 2011

don't blame me, i didn't vote.

Wowk

Wowk said on the 25th Aug, 2011

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos

Suspekt

Suspekt said on the 25th Aug, 2011

I think it's sad that marketing is the only thing that decides these kind of awards now - it's always been a popularity contest, but reading the comments it really does show how out of touch the awards are with what people really think. The fact most people aren't even familiar with the winners shows that something is up with the voting process. How ITM injects some credibility into the awards next year and gives a few based on merit, alongside the people's votes?

Suspekt

Suspekt said on the 25th Aug, 2011

Bag Raiders at #22... below names like Benibee - QLD, Ahmet Atasever - VIC. What the fuck is that?

jacknife

jacknife said on the 25th Aug, 2011

if i knew i could blow my trumpet like timmy and be rated in "DJ" public poll then shhhiiiitttttt we would all be fluffing away wouldn't we and i agree with rowley, how the fuck isnt LIGHTYEAR the number one...i mean all of Stafford brothers music is gay and probably not even produced by them so i think the industry needs to lash back and start there own poll?

Sweave

Sweave said on the 25th Aug, 2011

shockone didnt make top 50? thats bull! looks like he is making a good decision leaving australia to go to london because obviously australian people are retarded and only like cheesey house music...

smokinjoemekhael

smokinjoemekhael said on the 25th Aug, 2011

I'd like to sincerely thank everyone who voted for Smokin Joe Mekhael and helped him reach #37 in Australia! While people may not entirely agree with the results, I am grateful because this ranking will allow me to do what I love, playing music and celebrating life in front of more people and in more venues than ever before!

When people see me perform, they are invariably blown away because they have never seen a DJ like me before. Nobody, excites, entertains, elevates and ELECTRIFIES a party like THE MOST ELECTRIFYIN MAN IN DANCE MUSIC TODAY! This ranking will allow me to play in front of more people whose minds will be blown and this will help me to achieve my goal of reaching the number one spot next year!

Congratulations to everyone, thank you to INTHEMIX, all of the sponsors and everyone involved, last night was awesome!

SMOKIN JOE MEKHAEL LOVES YOU!

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gillsy

gillsy said on the 25th Aug, 2011

smokinjoe why post yourself djing on youtube when all it shows is you playing someone elses song on a cd player? show some mixing

System_J

System_J said on the 25th Aug, 2011

^^ who are you to tell australia's 37th best dj how to do his job.

melbourne tour soon plz SJM.

gillsy

gillsy said on the 25th Aug, 2011

just saying it how it is. yeah its such a credible list of the best djs isnt it. fucking seriously am i the only one who thinks that if you want to show what talent you have maybe show some mixing or something not a fucking song being played that isnt even yours.

System_J

System_J said on the 25th Aug, 2011

who needs talent when you've got facebook?

narkdawg

narkdawg said on the 25th Aug, 2011

lawl stafford brother number 1/timmy trumpet in 7.

good awards are good.

JulesPLees

JulesPLees said on the 25th Aug, 2011

Holy shit Rocky...I mean Smokn Jo may have just posted THE most amazing post I have ever seen on Itm. Such humility, such skill, such a unique sound. I'm definitely electrified and invariably blown away!

U may have single-handedly shown the sponsors just what their fantastic annual and accurate poll is bringing to Australian dance music.
3 fkn cheers for da numba 37!

special ed

special ed said on the 25th Aug, 2011

JP you really need to be from Sydney to get the smokin joe (SJM) hype. He is by no means a 'credible' dj, and he doesn't pretend to be. But is genuine and he has more humility than most djs could ever have.
He's got massive support in Sydney and that how he got in the top 50.

if anyone thinks the top 50 list is about credibility over popularity, you're kidding yourself

JulesPLees

JulesPLees said on the 25th Aug, 2011

Yeah you are probably right - it just looks bizarre from 900 kms away and there are guys down here releasing a tune a week that are recieved worldwide and then smashn it like zabiela on weekends that are a million miles from this list. And I guess this is the whole paradox with the way it works -

The guys/gals that are working on their music to be awesome performers don't have time to spam the world for votes. So yeah I understand Itm is Tryna workout a perfect system/equation - but yeah from this years results - no good imo

special ed

special ed said on the 25th Aug, 2011

ikwym. Like i said a few post up, I've always believed there needs to be any industry voted 'best dj' poll, to actually reflect pure talent and a public voted poll, for 'popularities' sake.

dpacifica

dpacifica said on the 25th Aug, 2011

lolz...stafford bros...I will never even bother looking at another itm award article again...biggest joke ever if those muppets can be classed as the number one djs in the country...itm awards officially now have zero credibility

idjtmc

idjtmc said on the 25th Aug, 2011

i was expecting sjm's video link to be footage of him raising the peoples eyebrow because that speech sounded like it was wrote by the wwe marketing team, if you can smell what im cooking lol

Weqster

Weqster said on the 29th Aug, 2011

I never actually thought people considered what they did onstage as 'djing'.

smokinjoemekhael

smokinjoemekhael said on the 29th Aug, 2011

I really think that there should be a category for Australia's top producers. People in this thread have lamented how people who consistently produce awesome tracks didn't make the top 50 DJs, and they're right in the sense that they should be rewarded and recognised for their efforts. But DJs shouldn't be judged under producer criteria and vice versa.

I respect the ability to produce a beautiful piece of music to no end! That's something that I can't do as of yet and the people who do it consistently really deserve their kudos. But in a contest that selects the TOP 50 DJs in Australia, I don't think that production should enter the equation.

We have all experienced or heard stories about an awesome producer who travels here and it turns out that they're terrible on the decks. Now, please understand me, I'm not saying this about anyone in the top 50, but there should be a top 20 or 50 list of producers, so that producers can be recognised for the work that they do in the studio and DJs can be recognised for the work that they do on stage.

Differentiating between the two is the key.